How much time out of the US breaks continuous residence? Why? 4 Answers as of April 29, 2015

I want to visit relatives out of the country but do not want to break my continuous residence so I can still apply for citizenship. Will I be ok if I leave for 2-3 months? I have a 1999 green card.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Penn Law
Penn Law | Gigi Penn
Immigration law provides that a green-card holder who has been away from the US for at least 6 months is presumed to have abandoned his/her residency. However, the Border officer has full discretion to deny re-entry. In addition, you must have lived in the USCIS district where you're applying for the last 3 months before you apply. There are other eligibility requirements you must meet so, to protect your rights, consult an immigration attorney before you apply.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 4/28/2015
Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C.
Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C. | David Nabow Soloway
Generally a single absence of 180 days or longer creates a (rebuttable) presumption of discontinued residence, and a single absence of a year or longer creates a legal determination of discontinued residence. Even if no single absence is as long as 180 days, if a Permanent Resident is outside of the U.S. more days than he/she is inside the U.S., that person can be regarded as having abandoned residence in the U.S. Based on this, a single absence of 2 - 3 months will not create any problems about continued residence or physical presence for naturalization eligibility. Some immigration law firms, including mine, offer legal services on a "flat fee" basis so that a client will know the total expense from the very beginning, and a few immigration law firms, including mine, offer an initial consultation free of charge.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 4/29/2015
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
You should be okay to leave the United States for 2 to 3 months without breaking your continuous residence. What the US requires of legal residents wishing to become citizens one day, is that they remain living in the United States for at least 6 months and a day for every year that they are residents in the United States so leaving for 2 to 3 months is not a problem at all.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/23/2015
Baughman & Wang
Baughman & Wang | Justin X. Wang
Generally 6 months. If you have good cause that can be 12 months.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/23/2015
Click to View More Answers: