How much time out of the US breaks continuous being a residence? 3 Answers as of April 16, 2015

I want to visit relatives out of the country but do not want to break my continuous residence so I can still apply for citizenship. Will I be ok if I leave for 2-3 months? I have a 1999 green card.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
No you will not break it. You are fine so just go.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/16/2015
Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C.
Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C. | David Nabow Soloway
Generally, a single absence of less than 180 days will create no problems with continued residence. One exception is when a person discontinues living in the U.S. and spends more time outside of the U.S. than within the U.S., notwithstanding that none of the absences are as long as 180 days. A single absence for 2-3 months should present no complications for continued residence. Some immigration law firms, including mine, offer legal services on a "flat fee" basis so that a client will know the total expense from the very beginning, and a few immigration law firms, including mine, offer an initial consultation free of charge.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 4/14/2015
Universal Law Group, Inc. | Francis John Cowhig
A 2-3 month absence will not break your residency. As long as you are not gone for more than 6 continuous months, you should be alright.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/14/2015
Click to View More Answers: