How much time does it take for a bankruptcy file to be finalized? 27 Answers as of July 03, 2013

It's been a few months and my bankruptcy file has still not been taken care of yet. Is it supposed to take this long for the file to go through? What can I do?

Mercado & Hartung, PLLC | Christopher J. Mercado
Ch 7 takes 90 days while 13 takes 3 or 5years.
The Law Office of Jacqui Snyder
The Law Office of Jacqui Snyder | Jacqui Snyder
Once it is filed, cases usually take 45 days to get to the 341 meeting and 60 days to get to discharge after that. As long as there are no issues complicating your case. If you haven't gone in to sign and review the paperwork, then this hasn't started. You should check with your attorney if you have one.
Eric J. Benzer, Attorney at Law
Eric J. Benzer, Attorney at Law | Eric Benzer
100 days.
Dan Wilson Bankruptcy
Dan Wilson Bankruptcy | Dan Wilson
Six months from filing is typical in my District. If its been more than that call your trustee. Did you file your Financial Management Course Certificate?
Bird & VanDyke, Inc.
Bird & VanDyke, Inc. | David VanDyke
What chapter are talking about? Have you filed your case? Once actually filed with court a chapter 7 only takes 3.5 months. Chapter 13 can takes 3 to 5 years.
    Joseph Lehn, Esq
    Joseph Lehn, Esq | Lehn Law, PA
    If your case is an asset case the case will remain open until the trustee does a final accounting and closes the case. I suggest that your attorney contact the trustee or if you filed pro se you may contact the trustee.
    Paul Stuber, Attorney at Law
    Paul Stuber, Attorney at Law | Paul Stuber
    There are many stages in the bankruptcy process. If often takes some time to get everything together to file the petition. Once the petition is filed everything is based on that date of filing. It usually takes about a month until you have the first creditors meeting. If there are no objections your discharge should be processed about two months after the 341 Creditors meeting. It sometimes takes a couple of weeks for the courts to process the discharge letter after that time. There are sometimes things that will hold up the discharge process. You should check with your attorney if it is more than 4 months after filing and you did not get the discharge yet.
    Ross Smith, Attorney at Law
    Ross Smith, Attorney at Law | Charles Ross Smith III
    You are not specific enough. I suspect that you mean that you paid your bankruptcy attorney and they have not produced a bankruptcy petition for you to sign. So here goes. Assuming that you have givewn the attorney all of the necessary information and documents, a very large assumption, it should take only one or two work days to produce the petition. This assumes that there is a reason to to put your petition to the front of the work. A garnishment would be a good reason. In general, attorneys who spencialize in bankruptcy are faster that general practitioners who only do occasional petitions. We have specialized personnel. If your attorney has not produced a petition yet, ask them for a reason why. If the reason does not seem valid you may consider requesting a refund and going elsewhere. Another good question would be "when are yuou going to have the petiotion ready?" Remember, changing attorneys may involve a longer delay. Petitions are filed electronically after they are signed and the creditors get immediate electronic notification. The Court's order of relief is effective immediately. Good luck.
    CONSUMER PROTECTION ASSISTANCE COALITION, INC. (DE).
    CONSUMER PROTECTION ASSISTANCE COALITION, INC. (DE). | Gary Lee Lane
    6 MONTHS
    That depends on what chapter you have filed and what you mean by "taken care of". If you filed a Chapter 7 case, the first thing that happens is your meeting with the Trustee, also known as the "341(a) meeting" or "creditors' meeting". After that date your creditors have 60 days to object to your discharge. If none does, then you should receive your discharge within a few weeks after that date, unless the Trustee is administering assets in your case. Chapter 13 and Chapter 11 are different.
    Law Office of Asaph Abrams
    Law Office of Asaph Abrams | Asaph Abrams
    You should receive certain notices by mail and may view the docket by registering at Pacer.gov. However, bankruptcy is not a matter of submitting a file and waiting. It's an active and participatory process. This answer (as well as our Web site) doesn't address all facts & implications of the question; it's general info, not legal advice to be relied upon; it creates no attorney-client relationship; it may be pertinent to CA only; it's independent of other answers. Hire legal counsel before acting or refraining from bankruptcy/legal action.
    Do you mean for the lawyer to get it done? From the time we have all the information we can process the paper work in a day and get it filed within 24 hours. You have a hearing in 4 to 6 weeks after the case is filed. A discharge can come 60 days after that but where I practice it takes more like 120 days (because the clerks are so busy). In picking a lawyer to handle your case you are "probably" better off picking one who only does bankruptcy work, (although I do know of a few who are incredibly slow). Ask at the initial interview, "How long will it take for you to process my paper work?" "When will you file my case after the paper work is done?" I know of one local lawyer here who holds all of his cases and files them all at one time so he only has one hearing date and time for all of the cases.
    Guardian Law Group PLLC
    Guardian Law Group PLLC | C. David Hester
    It usually takes about 45 from teh date you file until your 341 meeting of the creditors. Then if there are no issues, approximately 90 days after that meeting you should receive your discharge.
    Theodore N. Stapleton, PC
    Theodore N. Stapleton, PC | Theodore N. Stapleton
    It depends has the case been filed? If so it will take 4 months or more for discharge order.
    Law Office of Michael Johnson
    Law Office of Michael Johnson | Michael Johnson
    4 months normally.
    Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson
    Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson | Lynnmarie Johnson
    Generally a chapter 7 bankruptcy takes four months from the time it is filed until you are discharged, assuming that you have no other problems. If by being finalized, you mean how long does it take to prepare so that you can sign and file it, it depends on the attorney's workload and staff. We can usually have it ready in a couple of days, sooner if necessary or an emergency. I would check with your attorney if it has been a few months, you have supplied all the information needed, and they have not gotten the documents together for you to sign. Good luck!
    Judith A. Runyon, Esq. Attorney at Law
    Judith A. Runyon, Esq. Attorney at Law | Judith A. Runyon
    Chapter 7 discharge comes about 4 months from filing.
    Lehn Law, PA
    Lehn Law, PA | Joseph W. Lehn
    The timeline for a bankruptcy to be completed can vary. A chapter 7 bankruptcy can be completed usually around 120 days from the date of filing, however if there are unexempt assets involved a case could remain open for well over a year.
    Symmes Law Group, PLLC
    Symmes Law Group, PLLC | Richard James Symmes
    The whole bankruptcy usually take about four months.
    You made the mistake of filing pro se, which is always almost a blunder with serious adverse consequences and did so little research that you didn't even research the basics? That is a guarantee of problems. Let me first of all tell you to get a lawyer. You are unprepared, over your head and probably made other missteps, some of which may be costly. A well done Chapter 7, if done flawlessly, in my district, cannot be closed for 3-4 months. If you had read the first mail they sent you, you'd already know that. Many cases take longer. Some can last years. That depends on the information you gave, its completeness and accuracy, your assets and even which Trustee you have. Since you don't even know the deadlines in your own case, get counsel. Do it fast. Have the lawyer review your filing for completeness and determine if you have missed anything.
    Melinda Murphy Dionne, PC
    Melinda Murphy Dionne, PC | Melinda Murphy Dionne
    Assuming you filed a Chapter 7 case the "normal" time to finalize a no asset case is 4 to 6 months. However, there are many reasons a case stays open for longer periods of time. You should speak with your attorney and find out the status of your case.
    Most Chapter 7 bankruptcy cases last 90 days after filing but that depends on your case. The Trustee sometimes needs more time to investigate your case and if you have assets that the trustee will take from you to pay creditors then the case could be open for six months to a year minimum or even much longer. Other complications can also arise, such as lawsuits in bankruptcy called adversary proceedings that could keep bankruptcy cases open for many years.
    Law Office of Maureen O' Malley
    Law Office of Maureen O' Malley | Maureen O'Malley
    Sounds like you did it through a lawyer, and that's who you should ask. If not write back with more details.
    Florio Law Firm, PLLC
    Florio Law Firm, PLLC | Amber Morgan Florio, Attorney at Law
    You should contact your attorney. There are several reasons why this may not have been filed yet. Or, it may have been filed, but you might be waiting on your discharge. Your attorney is the best person to update you on where you stand in this process. Make sure you have provided ALL of the requested documentation to your attorney, and paid the agreed upon price in order to file your case. Most attorneys will outline what fees must be paid prior to filing your case in the contract you signed.
    Colorado Legal Solutions
    Colorado Legal Solutions | Stephen Harkess
    The time it takes for issuance of discharge varies. In a Chapter 7 case, the court must wait until the deadline for filing an objeciton to discharge has passed. Once that deadline is passed, if all of the paperwork has been filed, the judge will sign the discharge order when he or she has time. Your attorney can tell you if everything has been completed and the case is set for discharge.
    There is insufficient information to answer. What is a "few months" as it takes at least 4 months minimum with no issues. What is "not taken care of" mean. No discharge, no closing?
    Typically, a chapter 7 bankruptcy is closed about 4 months after it is filed.