How much time do I have to find out what happened to my mom’s stuff? 4 Answers as of January 27, 2016

My mom died intestate. I live in another state. I need to find out what happened with her possessions and who was in charge of everything since I heard nothing. How long do I have to pick through what all happened? Thank you.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C.
Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C. | Brian Haggerty
There's no set deadline. Her "stuff," the tangible personal property in her home, might all be gone already or it might be getting moldy just sitting in the house waiting for someone to do something. I take it you have no contact with any family member. The only thing to do is contact any sibling and ask what is going on.
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 1/27/2016
WFB Legal Consulting, Inc.
WFB Legal Consulting, Inc. | William F. Bernard
When someone dies, all of the individual?s assets including cash, bank accounts, real estate, automobiles, jewelry, electronics, clothes, and any other personal possession becomes part of that person's estate. Someone who dies with a will is referred to by courts as having died testate. Someone who dies without a will dies intestate, and the distribution of his estate is governed by the state's intestate succession laws. If a loved one has died, you may have the right to be involved in the proceedings and see the will. There are two different avenues for gaining access to the will: 1. Receive a copy of the will from the estate?s executor If you are named in the will, the estate's executor should provide you with a copy. If a copy has not been provided, ask the executor for one. 2. Access the probate court?s public records Wills in probate are considered public record and are open to read. Visit the probate court in the county the individual died. If the will has not been probated and so isn't yet in the public record and you know that someone has a copy of the will but won't show you, you can file a motion in probate court to compel the individual to turn over the will. You only have standing to file this motion if you are an *interested person*, however. An interested person is someone who is named in the will or would inherit from the estate under the state's intestate succession laws. The latter category is generally limited to spouses, children, and parents of the deceased.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/27/2016
Law Office of Patricia A. Simmons
Law Office of Patricia A. Simmons | Patrica A Simmons
If probate proceedings have been initiated, you may contact the Probate Court in the county where your mother resided to make an inquiry. If there are no proceedings, you will have to contact close family members to obtain any information regarding your mother's assets.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/27/2016
Law Offices of George H. Shers | George H. Shers
Since she died without a Will, her possessions would be distributed under the law of the state where she resided. ?There is no time limit, but as a practical matter the longer you wait the less likely you will find anything out. ?Find out who has the property.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/27/2016
Click to View More Answers: