How much time can I get for a first time theft of $3800? 6 Answers as of March 13, 2014

Instead of worrying about the jail time, you need to focus your attention on how you can avoid being convicted. Grand theft is a crime of moral turpitude, and if convicted you can kiss your career aspirations goodbye. Hire a lawyer before you get duped into a plea you will regret for life.
Theft of over $950.00 is grand theft and a felony. it is punishable by sixteen months, two years, or three years in state prison.
The Rogers Law Firm
The Rogers Law Firm | Andrea Storey Rogers
In Missouri, theft of over $500 but less than $25,000 is a class C felony, punishable by up to 7 years in prison and a fine of up to $5,000.
Eve Oldenkamp, Attorney at Law, P.C. | Eve Oldenkamp
That amount qualifies it as a Theft I, A Class C Felony. IF you have no prior criminal convictions you are looking at 18 months probation, and jail time dependent upon each county's policy. Though the sentencing guidelines suggests up to 30 days. You may also qualify for a diversion program or other program to keep it off your record, again depending upon the county and the presence or absence of any prior criminal convictions.
up to five years in prison.