How much should I expect on an economic loss? 21 Answers as of April 02, 2013

I was in a wreck 9/12. Suffered fractured pelvis, concussion, dislocated shoulder. 100% other persons fault. She hit me 55-60 mph from behind. Then I hit car in front of me. Suffered severe whiplash. Hired an attorney, they are not responding to any of my questions. How much should I expect? 18 weeks of PT and 20 weeks out of work. I was an avid runner and got severely depressed, also split up from my husband 3 weeks after wreck, had a severe concussion. I just need to have settlement to settle and move on. Lawyer isn’t giving me a call back. Should I expect $50,000 or $100,000? Just need to know. Thanks.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
Your case is worth whatever a jury says it is worth.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 4/2/2013
Durham Jones & Pinegar | Erven Nelson
Get a new lawyer, I can help you find one. You should get compensated for your lost wages 100%. You need to consider future disability and lost wages. You also should ask for 2-3 times your medical bills for pain and suffering. The settlement will depend on the facts, treatments, disabilities, and the insurance company. If they won't cooperate, filing a lawsuit will let them know that you are serious.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 4/1/2013
David F. Stoddard
David F. Stoddard | David F. Stoddard
I previously answered this question and either it did not satisfy you or my answer and this question crossed in the email. The problem is, there are too many unknown variables to answer your question, and it would be unethical to give you a number to expect (if that were even possible, which it is not) while you have an attorney. You really need to pose these questions to the attorney. The unknowns are, first and most importantly, how much insurance coverage is there. For example, if there is only $50,000.00 in coverage, you likely will not get $50,000.00 because some will go to medical bills and attorneys fees. Second, I do not know if you will be relatively pain free and fully functional when you are finished with treatment, of if you will have permanent pain and/or functional loss , and if so, how much functional loss and pain. Form what little you say, $100,000.00 does not sound unreasonable. It could even be much more. To me , the most pressing question is what can the defendant pay, which usually means how much insurance coverage is there. If it was a commercial vehicle, it is probably $1,000,000.00 in coverage and coverage is no longer a factor.
Answer Applies to: South Carolina
Replied: 3/27/2013
Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
Tell your attorney that you will file a State Bar complaint for not keeping you informed of your case status. You then need to retain a new attorney.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 3/27/2013
Barry Rabovsky & Associates
Barry Rabovsky & Associates | Barry Rabovsky
We would be happy to provide you with a free consultation if you call my office at either of the numbers listed below. If my office accepts your case, there is no fee charged unless we are able to obtain a settlement for you.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 3/27/2013
    Nash & Franciskato Law Firm
    Nash & Franciskato Law Firm | Brian Franciskato
    You need to discuss the situation with your attorney. You have a right to fire your lawyer, if you are unhappy with the services he/she is providing. Your claim sounds like it could be worth more than the amounts you are asking for, however, may be limited to the amount of insurance the other driver has plus any underinsured motorist liability insurance coverage you have.
    Answer Applies to: Missouri
    Replied: 3/27/2013
    Gregory M Janks, PC
    Gregory M Janks, PC | Gregory M Janks
    There is no formula for what injuries from crashes are worth. In Michigan you must suffer a serious impairment of a body function and/or permanent serious disfigurement in order to meet the "threshold" to make a pain & suffering claim. Your injuries would certainly seem to meet that threshold but insurers have been emboldened by the defense oriented climate in Michigan and often don't negotiate in good faith in regards to promptly resolving cases, even when liability and damages are clear. So there is also no time frame within which one can say a case will resolve. Generally insures look at your "specials" (economic losses such as wage loss, medical bills, etc.) and then use a "factor" or multiplier to arrive @ what they feel is a fair value for settling the non-economic side of the case. Depending on the liability limits on the defendants policy, your case is likely one that should resolve for the limits or close thereto. If your attorney is not returning your reasonable calls/requests for information, that is a violation of the Michigan Rules of Professional Conduct (not to mention common sense and good client relations). You are entitled to be advised of the progress of your claim/case and to have your questions answered (although, again, there is no precise dollar amount that any personal injury case is worth).
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 3/27/2013
    Lydy & Moan | C. Gary Wilson
    Very difficult to answer without knowing the amount of the bills, extent of recovery and amount of insurance available.
    Answer Applies to: Ohio
    Replied: 3/27/2013
    Curry, Roby & Mulvey Co., LLC
    Curry, Roby & Mulvey Co., LLC | Bruce A. Curry
    Assuming the other party is 100% at fault and has adequate insurance, you can expect to recover your medical bills (reduced by any adjustments made by the providers for contractual write-offs with health insurers and/or Medicaid plus lost wages plus any other out of pocket expenses that you have. Your pain and suffering would be considered non-economic damages and there is no set formula to calculate the element of damages. Ultimately, you have to be satisfied that you are being sufficiently compensated over and above your economic damages before you agree to settle.
    Answer Applies to: Ohio
    Replied: 3/27/2013
    Gregory S. Shurman, LLC
    Gregory S. Shurman, LLC | Gregory S Shurman
    It sounds like the most important question in your case is how much insurance money is available. Your case should settle for 6 figures.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 3/27/2013
    Law Offices of Brian S. Karpe | Brian S. Karpe, Esq.
    There are too many variables involved to answer this question adequately here. To get a full picture and a true sense of the value of this claim involves viewing the medical reports, the police report and statements of any witnesses. I recommend that you speak to your attorney and let them know you are not satisfied with their communication. If you are still not satisfied with their representation, then it is your right to retain another attorney to represent you in this case.
    Answer Applies to: Connecticut
    Replied: 3/27/2013
    Mike Lewis Attorneys | Mike Lewis
    There are many factors in evaluating a case, e.g., who was at fault? Is there any evidence of contributory evidence? (in North Carolina, if the victim is even 1% at fault, there is no recovery!) how much are the medical bills? How much of the bills are covered by health insurance? Are you getting treatment for the depression? Will the therapist confirm the depression was from the wreck and not from other factors? How much liability insurance is there? Do,you have under insured motorist (UIM) coverage? Does the defendant have personal assets subject to a judgment? These and other factors must be weighed in assessing the fair settlement value.
    Answer Applies to: North Carolina
    Replied: 3/27/2013
    Blaske & Blaske, P.L.C.
    Blaske & Blaske, P.L.C. | John F. Turck IV
    Vote with your feet and hire someone else if your attorney won't respond to you. Impossible to answer your question without knowing what the policy limits are of the striking driver.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 3/27/2013
    Kram & Wooster, P.S. | Richard H. Wooster
    You have a very serious claim. The value of your claim depends a lot on the amount of insurance and assets of the at fault driver + your underinsured insurance coverage, if any. What are your medical specials? You missed 20 weeks of work, how much did you earn each week. How many days of work will you face in the future? What type of pain do you currently have? How long has it been since the wreck? Your husband might have a claim for loss of consortium. Send your lawyer an e-mail with a list of your questions and the dates you have called but have not been responded to by your lawyer. Tell your lawyer they do not respond, you will look for a new attorney. You have a three year statute of limitations on your claim in Washington, so you need to keep that in mind. You need an experienced attorney and your chances of getting one to take your case are better if you show you tried to get information from your attorney and they did not respond. Your current attorney may have a lien for the services already provided.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 3/27/2013
    Matthew D Kaplan LLC
    Matthew D Kaplan LLC | Matthew D Kaplan
    I am sorry to read about your injuries. I can't tell you how much it's worth without knowing you and more about your case. Why 50 or 100k?
    Answer Applies to: Oregon
    Replied: 3/27/2013 | Terrence A. Valko
    Sounds like a strong case to me.? May be worth more than the available insurance coverage; the calculation of which may be cause for the delay. Don't switch horses mid-stream. Put your question to your lawyer in a short polite note and mail it.
    Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
    Replied: 3/27/2013
    Johnson & Johnson Law Firm, PLLC | Richard Johnson
    It's too early for you to be thinking about settling your claims. You're still in the healing phase and you may end up with permanent problems. 50 or 100 is not enough money for the injuries you've described, unless that's all the liability coverage the following car has. WA has a 3 year statute of limitations. There's no rush. Don't sell yourself short. You may have to tap your underinsured motorist coverage on your car, too. It's disturbing that your lawyer doesn't talk to you. Give him / her a deadline and if its not met, terminate your relationship, request your file and retain an experienced P.I. lawyer.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 3/27/2013
    David P. Slater, esq.
    David P. Slater, esq. | David P. Slater
    If your not happy, get another lawyer.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 3/27/2013
    John Russo | John Russo
    No one can give you that answer, also these cases take time and when I say time I mean time, could be 1,2, 3, years to get what the case is worth, insurance companies will drag it out they are pros at this, they know that people want their money they want to settle, so either take short money or hang in for a long ride, the longer they don't have to settle the happier they are because the money they would give you is earning money for them, so again they will be happy to settle sooner, for less money, all daylong.
    Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
    Replied: 3/27/2013
    Koning & Jilek, P.C.
    Koning & Jilek, P.C. | Jonathan Neal Jilek
    No idea. It depends.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 3/27/2013
    Farber & Company Attorneys, P.C.
    Farber & Company Attorneys, P.C. | Eric Farber
    Every case is different. Unfortunately this is not a question that can really be answered easily with the facts you have given. If you are not getting the response you want from your attorney you should look for another. But cases can take a long time and you should be patient.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 3/27/2013
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 4 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney