How much should I claim if I bought a bedroom set full of bed bugs where I got bacterial infetctions and scars? 7 Answers as of November 21, 2013

2 months ago I purchased a new bedroom set that was infested with bed bugs. I was bit more than 100 times throughout my body, had a severe allergic reaction and 2 secondary bacterial infections on top of the bites. After the exterminator determined the infestation was caused by the furniture, the retailer did accept liability. I have 3000.00 in hospital bills, severe scars that will require $4000.00 + in laser surgery removal, can't sleep at night and still have anxiety due to the scarring that is very embarrassing since it is very visible to everyone. I also had to stay in motels for a couple weeks due to still being bit after extermination. I have pics and videos. What do you estimate my claim is worth?

The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C.
The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C. | Russell Gregory
Hi, I replied to your recent similar post. It's very hard to estimate the value of a matter going into it. There are so many factors that may pertain as the matter proceeds, that talking numbers at the outset is really basically folly. I can say, however, that an attorney's threshold at the outset is whether the matter appears to be one worth looking into, from both liability and damages standpoints.
Assessment of damages in a personal injury case requires detailed analysis of liability, the injuries, and the effect of those injuries upon the individual. This analysis includes application of legal principles, evidentiary factors, medical documentation, out of pocket expenses, calculation of future losses and experience in your jurisdiction as to likely range of prospective jury awards. A "cookie-cutter" approach, a standard answer or a formula would be a disservice to someone such as yourself, who needs the help of an experienced personal injury lawyer. To answer the question properly, one would need extensive examination of all the evidence, particularly the medical records. Many people use this site to ask what their case is worth. Our answers are always: Get in touch with a personal injury lawyer in your area. That is the best way to get the best result in your case.
Case values vary widely from case to case and place to place. Consult an experienced local personal injury lawyer.
Thought I answered earlier. get your emotions out of this thing. It is a business transaction. Get you a good lawyer to review the medical aspects.
Your case is worth whatever damages you can prove to a jury. Your claim is for breach of contract and breach of warranty. You did NOT get the bedroom set for which you bargained; in addition, the seller breached the warranty that the set was fit for the purpose intended.
    End, Hierseman & Crain, LLC | J. Michael End
    Your claim is significant. I would have to look at what comparable cases are settling for. The agreement by the seller that the problem started with them makes your case a particularly strong one. I think you would be best served by hiring a lawyer to help you get the settlement you deserve.
    Pete Leehey Law Firm, P.C.
    Pete Leehey Law Firm, P.C. | Pete Leehey
    It's impossible to accurately determine case value based upon a few lines of information. What I CAN determine is that you have a solid case that involves a problem that most people are sensitive to. You need to have your case evaluated by an experienced personal injury lawyer before trying to settle with the insurance company.
    Answer Applies to: Iowa