How much right does a father has if he's never met the child and after 15 years, he now wants to co parent? 2 Answers as of July 25, 2017

It's been 15 years since I gave birth. He left before she was born and moved, supposedly, out of state. He showed no interest in meeting her, so I let him be. I didn't know where he was. Fifteen years later, he contacts my daughter through Facebook, starts saying he’s the dad and wanted her to live with him I find out months later. Now he has moved to another state to be closer to her. His wife keeps harassing me to do a meet and greet. Paternity test has never been done, and his name is not on the certificate. What kind of right does he have at this point and can I legally keep him away from her? Can I legally go after child support as well as back support before they meet?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
He has no rights as of now. You could start an action to terminate his parental rights. He could try to gain some placement through the courts, but his chances over your objection are not great. Consult a skilled family lawyer in your locality.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 7/25/2017
Shimberg and Crohn, P.C. | Jonathan Shimberg
He has no rights. The time within which he could be legally determined to be dad passed years ago. If he is so eager to be the Dad is he willing to pay child support for the time he disappeared?
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 7/25/2017
Click to View More Answers: