How much of settlement should I receive? 25 Answers as of April 25, 2013

I had auto accident cab driver going at high rate of speed t-bone me, fractured my knee, and outplace disc in back results in pitch nerves, that causes back spasms and very bad pain in right knee.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
It is worth what they offer and you accept. If you have no idea what to accept, then it seems that you need a lawyer. Anybody that would answer your question, based upon the little information you provided would be a fool. That is, because you have not given enough information for a real lawyer to figure out the value.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 12/11/2012
M.R. Parker Law
M.R. Parker Law | Michael Parker
There is no way to know what the amount of settlement you should receive is based on that information. It depends on the insurance policy, your medical bills, pre-existing injuries, future pain, future medical bills, loss of earnings, loss of employment, etc.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/25/2013
David F. Stoddard
David F. Stoddard | David F. Stoddard
This is a complicated question that depends on how much our medical bills are, how will the injuries affect you in the future, how much in lost wages do you have, if any, how much paid will you suffer in the future. These are a few of the questions that would need to be answered. The good news is the cab company probably has tons of insurance. Unfortunately, when you have a significant injury, the at fault driver often has only $25,000.00 in insurance coverage.
Answer Applies to: South Carolina
Replied: 12/11/2012
Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A.
Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A. | Paul L. Whitfield
Get you a PI lawsuit. Sounds like you many have serious injuries settlements are based on doc tor bills, doctor reports, permanency etc.
Answer Applies to: North Carolina
Replied: 4/24/2013
Adler Law Group, LLC
Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
Based only on the information you have given, the case can't be properly valued. You will need to specify the medical bills paid and unpaid: the impairment rating from the doctor, insurance policy amounts and amount of treatment among other things. Bear in mind the insurance company will offer you a small percentage of what an attorney who can proceed to litigation will be offered.
Answer Applies to: Connecticut
Replied: 12/11/2012
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    There is no single valuation for injuries, I would suggest that you seek legal counsel before you sign any releases or except any settlement. It sounds to me like your injuries were quite significant and may be very long-lasting.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 12/11/2012
    There are many factors that must be considered when trying to determine the value of a person's case. We usually start with the medical bills for services provided. Next we look at future medical needs and the estimated cost for those services. Other economic losses that effect value include lost wages. This sort of analysis provides a good starting point but other factors can effect value. For instance, the defendant driver's driving history: if the defendant driver has a history of speeding, careless driving or car crashes, those things may increase a case value.
    Answer Applies to: Missouri
    Replied: 12/11/2012
    Lewis B. Kaplan | Lewis B. Kaplan
    Could be a large amount but with the minimal information you provide a lawyer really can't value your claim. Assembling ALL THE NECESSARY INFORMATION relevant to the claim and getting the most possible for the client is the job of the lawyer and is the way he earns a fee. Hire a lawyer today rather than expecting a valid answer to your question based on the information you provided.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 12/11/2012
    Law Offices of Mark West
    Law Offices of Mark West | Mark West
    This sounds like a very bad injury and your claim could be substantial. However, it is difficult for attorneys to give "valuations" of a claim based on this little bit of information. You should contact an attorney and ask for a meeting to discuss your claim. If you have an attorney who has been working the case, they should, with all of the information they should be collecting about loss of earnings, medical bills and effect on your daily living, be able to give you an idea of the value they place on your claim. If you don't have an attorney, if you provide that information to an attorney in a meeting, they may be able to give you a range of value of your case.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 12/11/2012
    John Russo | John Russo
    As much as you can get!
    Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
    Replied: 12/11/2012
    Rothstein Law PLLC
    Rothstein Law PLLC | Eric Rothstein
    You have a good case because the fracture is "serious injury" as a matter of law. You should work with a personal injury lawyer.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 12/11/2012
    Diamond Fuquay, LLC
    Diamond Fuquay, LLC | Ross Diamond
    Your question cannot be answered without a lot more information and legal work. You will need a lawyer representing you to expect fair compensation for your injuries.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 12/11/2012
    Matthew D Kaplan LLC
    Matthew D Kaplan LLC | Matthew D Kaplan
    I would need to review your medical records, understand your work history, and learn about any future problems you may have before being able to evaluate the case. That said, you really need to retain a good personal injury to represent you.
    Answer Applies to: Oregon
    Replied: 12/11/2012
    The Law Office of Harry E. Hudson, Jr.
    The Law Office of Harry E. Hudson, Jr. | Harry E. Hudson, Jr.
    How much does your attorney believe ypu should get?
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 4/24/2013
    Pearson & Associates
    Pearson & Associates | Gary Pearson
    You need a lawyer, one the does a lot of personal injury cases. A lawyer like me. Without knowing more about your medical bills and treatment it would be impossible to evaluate the case as to what it is worth.
    Answer Applies to: Nebraska
    Replied: 4/24/2013
    Paul Levin | Paul Levin
    This could be a very significant claim and it needs to be handled accordingly. The value, of course, depends upon a number of factors including the severity of the injury, the duration and type of medical care involved to date and likely to occur in the future. Also, the impact upon your life and any residual limitations that you may still have once you have reached maximum medical improvement. A proper work up and valuation is key.
    Answer Applies to: Connecticut
    Replied: 12/10/2012
    Law Office of Russell D. Gray, PC
    Law Office of Russell D. Gray, PC | Russell D. Gray
    You suffered some serious injuries and probably need an attorney. Without knowing more information it is impossible to value your case. Some factors used in valuing your case would be (1) the amount of medical bills; (2) projected future bills; (3) wage loss, past and future; (4) whether you have a permanent impairment as a result of the accident.
    Answer Applies to: Utah
    Replied: 12/11/2012
    Samster, Konkel & Safran, S.C.
    Samster, Konkel & Safran, S.C. | Jonathan Safran
    The values of cases are dependent upon numerous factors, including the amount of damage to your vehicle, the extent of your injuries, the extent of your medical treatment, the amount of your medical bills, the amount of any lost wages, whether you sustained a permanent injury, the impact of your injuries on your activities of daily living, and other factors. An experienced personal injury attorney will be able to evaluate those factors and work to get you an appropriate award for your injuries and damages. In Wisconsin, there is generally a three year statute of limitations which requires you to either settle your claim or commence a lawsuit within three years from the date of the accident. Again, I would urge you to consult with an experienced personal injury attorney to review your claims and assist you in obtaining full compensation for your injuries and damages. The information you obtain from this posting, and/or the act of sending an e-mail to this site and viewing this posting, are not intended to and will not create an attorney-client relationship. The information you obtain from this posting is not, nor is it intended to be, specific legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own particular situation. The material in this posting is not intended to be advertising, but it is instead meant it to be general information only.
    Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
    Replied: 12/11/2012
    Law Office of Phyl van Ammers | Phyl van Ammers
    You should ask for lost wages, costs of doctor, hospital and medical bills, a sum for "pain and suffering," which is usually assumed for purposes of settlement to be the total of your medical bills times a factor. Most often, the factor is 3. So, if your medical bills total, say, $10,000, then you might be able to negotiate an amount representing "pain and suffering" of $30,000. There is no hard and fast rule about "pain and suffering" damages.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 12/10/2012
    Law Offices of Frank M. Nunes, Inc.
    Law Offices of Frank M. Nunes, Inc. | Frank M. Nunes
    These cases are called personal injury cases because they are personal to every injured person. A face to face meeting with an experienced attorney to review the extent of your remaining injuries is needed to accurately answer your question. My office provides free, no cost meetings to discuss your case. Please feel free to call me.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 12/10/2012
    The Smalley Law Firm, LLC | Cary Smalley
    I suggest you consult with an attorney to talk more specifically about the facts of the accident, your injuries and medical bills. I offer a free consultation.
    Answer Applies to: Kansas
    Replied: 12/10/2012
    WEISSMAN LAW FIRM | I.Donald Weissman
    It is near impossible to evaluate a claim without reviewing medical records, knowing what treatment was given, a doctor's diagnosis and prognosis and the costs for treatment. With that information an evaluation of the claim for settlement purposes can be projected.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 12/10/2012
    Timiney Law Firm
    Timiney Law Firm | Leigh Anne Timiney
    I am very sorry to hear about your accident. It is very difficult to determine the value of your claim without knowing many facts and specifics about your injuries and treatment and what your medical bills and other damages have been. I would strongly suggest you contact a personal injury attorney in the area and seek representation. He or she will be able to hear all of the specifics of your case and give you a more fully informed answer as to what your legal options are. Handling a claim like this on your own can be difficult and time consuming. Insurance companies tend to take advantage of unrepresented injured parties.
    Answer Applies to: Arizona
    Replied: 12/10/2012
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 4 5 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney