How much notice does a landlord have to give me if I am renting month to month? 14 Answers as of February 01, 2013

I don't have any signed lease.I do owe past rent.

Law Offices of Mark West
Law Offices of Mark West | Mark West
It depends. If the landlord wants to evict you for non payment of rent, he has to give you three days notice to pay or quit (leave). If you fail to leave, he must then go through what is called the Unlawful Detainer process, filing a lawsuit and getting a judgment against you. He will probably take the above course of action as you owe rent. If you were up to date on the rent and he just wanted to have you leave, he would need to give you 30 days notice of termination of tenancy (possibly 60 depending how long you lived there.) These are California timetables.
Office of Michael Hyde, Esq | Michael C. Hyde
The notice to quit for non-payment of rent is a 7 day notice requirement.
Ken Love Law | Kenneth Love
If you are in North Carolina the landlord must give you 7 days notice.
In California, if you owe past rent, the landlord only has to serve you with a 3-day notice.
Heinly, Benson, Killian & Kramer, An Association of Attorneys Not a Partnership
Heinly, Benson, Killian & Kramer, An Association of Attorneys Not a Partnership | Valerie L Kramer
Generally, if you owe past due rent, then the landlord may give you a 3 day ?pay or quit? notice.
    Usually a 10 day notice to quit for non-payment of rent.
    Gateway Legal Group | Christian J. Albut
    If you owe past rent the landlord can give you a 3 day notice to pay rent or quit. If you are served with that notice then you would have 3 days to pay the rent or vacate the premises. If your landlord is not seeking rent then the notice to quit would depend on the amount of time you have lived on the premises. If you have lived at the premises for over a year the notice has to be 60 days, if it was less than a year then 30 days.
    Law Offices of Frances Headley | Frances Headley
    If you are behind in your rent then an eviction can be commenced with a 3 day notice to pay or quit. The eviction process takes about two months usually.
    Durham Jones & Pinegar | Erven Nelson
    In a month to month situation, each party must give one month's notice to terminate the lease. But, if you are late on rent the landlord can file a 5-day notice to pay rent or quit (eviction notice). If you don't respond to the court with a good defense, you will be evicted.
    Zales Law Office
    Zales Law Office | Nicholas C Zales
    28 days in Wisconsin.
    30 days.