How much is my injury worth in dollars? 21 Answers as of January 17, 2014

Delivery ramp fell from underneath me while at a delivery site. As a result, I have permanent partial disability in left shoulder/arm. After investigating the accident scene for possible cause of ramp failure, it is my determination that ramp was not seated correctly, nor was locking mechanism installed. The ramp was not broken or repaired in any way; in fact it is the same ramp they continue to use to this day. Medical bills (roughly) $20,000.00, loss of job, left (dominant) shoulder/arm permanent damage, pain and personal suffering.

LAW OFFICES OF ARMAN MOHEBAN | ARMAN MOHEBAN
You need to file a claim for worker's compensation benefits that cover temporary disability benefits, ongoing medical treatment and a settlement for permanent disability and future medical care.
Vasilaros Legal,LLC
Vasilaros Legal,LLC | Steven T. Vasilaros
Evaluating a claim is a complex matter involving a host of variables not provided here. You would be best served by consulting an experienced attorney for help.
David Hoines Law
David Hoines Law | David Hoines
I cant say because I don't know enough you need to talk to a lawyer in your area.
Almost every day we get a request for evaluation of a claim. We cannot respond to such a request, as there are simply too many elements to be considered. These include percentage of fault, age and health and background of the claimant, the nature of the injury, the treatment, the diagnosis, the prognosis, the cost of the treatment, and the outcome. Also to be taken into account in some cases are the amount and type of insurance coverage and the name of the company. Most attorneys offer a free conference. We suggest that you talk to a few lawyers. Also, you should know that an independent study showed that claimants did better, even after fees, with a lawyer than without.
Goodgame Law, LLC
Goodgame Law, LLC | Jeffrey L Goodgame
The typical damages in a personal injury case are medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. A old rule of thumb, is that a case is generally evaluated at approximately three times the medical bills. In recent years in Alabama, the settlement recovery in injury cases has decreased some do to juries awarding less and conservative appellate courts reducing judgment amounts. If there are special circumstances such as a permanent injury or gross negligence by the liable party, then those factors generally increase the evaluation of your damages. Feel free to contact me for a free consultation.
    Lombardi Law Firm
    Lombardi Law Firm | Steve Lombardi
    Answer: I answer this question more than any others and my answer is always the same. Based on the little information provided there is no way to determine value. Nor would I even try.
    Answer Applies to: Iowa
    Assessment of damages in a personal injury case requires detailed analysis of liability, the injuries, and the effect of those injuries upon the individual. This analysis includes application of legal principles, evidentiary factors, medical documentation, out of pocket expenses, calculation of future losses and experience in your jurisdiction as to likely range of prospective jury awards. A "cookie-cutter" approach, a standard answer or a formula would be a disservice to someone such as yourself, who needs the help of an experienced personal injury lawyer. To answer the question properly, one would need extensive examination of all the evidence, particularly the medical records. Just a sample of some of the other issues: What is the degree of disability? Is it permanent? Did you have surgery, if so what kind? What is your age? Are you married? How long were you out of work? Many people use this site to ask what their case is worth. Our answers are always: Get in touch with a personal injury lawyer in your area. That is the best way to get the best result in your case.
    James M. Chandler | James M. Chandler
    If you do not have an attorney you need one to represent you in this matter. If you need an attorney make an appointment to talk to several and pick one you feel you can trust.
    It appears you have both a comp case against your employer and a possible case against whoever assembled the ramp. However, case values vary widely from case to case and place to place. Experienced personal injury lawyers are familiar with such values. Consider consulting one with experience in both comp and premises liability law.
    If the ramp belongs to your employer, it it a workers compensation case and its value depends on your wages and your medical bills. If the ramp belongs to another company which is unrelated to your employer, you may have a lawsuit including pain and suffering. It is worth what you can prove it is worth.
    The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC
    The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC | Stephen R. Chesley
    One would not be able to determine value without review of medical records. You did not specify if surgery required, fractures or muscle tears. You should contact an attorney to discuss your case further.
    Candiano Law Office
    Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
    Nobody can tell you without MUCH more information. You have TWO claims. You have a Workers' Compensation claim and you have a Premises claim. The Premises claim is probably worth more than the WC claim but you must repay the WC insurance before you can take any money from the premises action. There are no medical bills because they are all paid by WC. Do NOT wait on this. You need an attorney who handles BOTH types of cases. If you earn $1,200.00 per week or more, the WC claim ONLY is worth roughly $40,000 - $55,000 and $800 per week for every week you were unable to work regardless of whether you were fired. If you earn $600 per week, the WC claim ONLY is worth roughly $20,000 - $27,000 and $400 per week for every week you were unable to work regardless of whether you were fired.
    If this was at work, you need to talk with a worker's comp attorney in your area.
    Gregory M Janks, PC
    Gregory M Janks, PC | Gregory M Janks
    In my opinion you would need to sit down with a local Michigan attorney that regularly handles premises liability cases to go over all the facts of the incident and your damages. There is not enough information in your question to give you an answer. Plus there are many considerations regarding Michigan law, any liens against a recovery, what proofs there are of any negligence/notice of the premises owner, etc.
    Ganim Injury Lawyers | George W. Ganim
    In order to determine value I would need to review the medical records and get a better understanding on the cause of the ramp failure. I would be happy to discuss with you.
    Goldstein and Peck. P.C.
    Goldstein and Peck. P.C. | William J. Kupinse, Jr
    This question involves two areas on which there are continuing questions. First, if a person is injured at work, generally there is an ability to make a claim under the workers compensation law. There may also be an ability to make a claim against a party other than the employer. If it is not a work related injury, there is an ability to make a claim against any person whose negligence contributed to the injury. Second, trying to tell a person what his or her injury is worth in dollars without a full and detailed discussion of the potential claim is like predicting the score of the Super Bowl before you know who is playing in it. Obviously, the medical and other expenses incurred in the permanency of the injury are two of the factors to be considered. The above is an answer to a general legal question and should not be considered as legal advice on your specific issues; nor does the answer constitute representation of you for any purpose.
    An attorney would need more information to guess at what your case would be worth [such as earnings lost, age, etc.]. You need to see local attorneys to give them more information. I assume that you filed a Workers' Compensation case and received some benefits.
    Is this a worker comp case? if so it is worth far less than you think and that figure will be based on your income and the degree of disability allowed by the doctor. See a good comp atty for help.
    Your workman's comp insurance will determine what your injury is worth.
    Padove Law | Burton A. Padove
    Thanks for your inquiry. Unfortunately, you really are not asking a question. Rather, you are asking for a valuation opinion which is far outside the scope of the Law QA format and are case specific Even if that was not the case, values would depend on many different factors that are not present in your inquiry such as your education and work background, wages, future wage loss, the extent of your disability, the county where the injury took place or whether the case would end up being in Federal court instead of state court, the history of similar cases in the court and county where the case would be held, among many other factors. It sounds like you do not have an attorney. Your injuries are significant and you really should hire an attorney. T The defendant's insurer will hire experienced and competent counsel, you should do the same, if you have not done so already. Good luck.
    Pennington & Martinez
    Pennington & Martinez | Dennis A Pennington
    The value of your claim is substantial. However, recovery is dependent upon showing that someone did something negligent (other than a co-worker). You really need to hire a lawyer immediately. These cases are complex, and the longer you wait, the more difficult the proofs become.