How much is my hand injury claim worth? 14 Answers as of October 31, 2013

On August 8, 2012, I was in an accident at work. My hand was damage by a "conveyorbelt" and I got a saber nerve damage caused by a 3rd degree burn on my wedding finger and middle finger.

LAW OFFICES OF ARMAN MOHEBAN | ARMAN MOHEBAN
You need to file a claim for worker's compensation benefits that cover temporary disability benefits , ongoing medical treatment and a settlement for permanent disability and future medical care.
Belushin Law Firm, P.C.
Belushin Law Firm, P.C. | Vel Belushin
You would need to speak to a workers compensation or personal injury attorney to find out an estimate.
E. Ray Critchett, LLC
E. Ray Critchett, LLC | Ray Critchett
I would need much more information to answer your question. Is this a workers compensation claim? Intentional Tort claim? Permanent injury? You should schedule a free consultation with an attorney to discuss your case in greater detail to determine what causes of action you may have, what sources of recovery may be available to you and to determine what value the case may be worth.
Pete Leehey Law Firm, P.C.
Pete Leehey Law Firm, P.C. | Pete Leehey
You describe what is known as a scheduled member workers' compensation claim. Iowa law is very specific on the maximum number of weeks that are owed for injuries to the middle and ring finger. The most you can recover for loss of your middle finger is 30 weeks. The maximum recovery for loss of a ring finger is 25 weeks. The treating doctor should give an opinion on the extent of disability you have to each finger. You then apply the disability rating to the maximum number of weeks you can recover. For example, if you have a 10% rating to your middle finger, your recovery would be 30 weeks times 10% equals three weeks. You would then multiply your weekly workers' compensation rate by the three weeks, and that is what you would recover for your middle finger injury. The same analysis would apply, just using different numbers, for your ring finger. In most cases, the compensation for scheduled member injuries is unrealistically low. There are limited ways to try to get around this problem, but I cannot tell from your question whether you would be eligible for one of these exceptions.
Answer Applies to: Iowa
It depends on your % impairment ratings and your comp rate. Something you might want to consider if your injuries are severe enough, is whether you have a potential third party case for a defective conveyor belt. Consider talking with an experienced industrial accident lawyer. Good luck.
    This is a workers compensation case. In Michigan, the value of the case depends on the amount of medical bills to the date of the settlement, perhaps an amount to apply to future bills (if you settle), and lost wages while you are incapable of working.
    If you have a permanent injury, you may be able to get a "schedule award" which is based on a formula depending on the extent of your disability (as measured by a percentage of "loss of use") and your rate of pay, offset by payments you have already received. But: you should get some advice as to whether the schedule award is your best option. Depending on your situation, you may be better off getting disability payments and having your medical expenses taken care of.
    Gregory M Janks, PC
    Gregory M Janks, PC | Gregory M Janks
    As indicated in numerous prior answers, without all the facts and medical information "what is my injury worth" questions can not be answered. Further, it is always best, in my judgment, to sit down with your/a lawyer to review that matter in some detail to attempt to get a reasonable answer to your question. In Michigan, you should understand that an on the job injury will entitle you to workers compensation coverage of your incident related medical bills and payment of a portion of your lost wages. Typically you will not receive any other monies from the workers compensation insurer, although sometimes you may be able to have retraining paid and/or a certain amount of "indemnity" for any specific loss of use. The only time you will receive any pain & suffering or disfigurement monies are if you are able to identify a negligent 3rd party (ie: someone/company other than your employer/co-employees) that caused/contributed to your injury. These cases, in an industrial setting, tend to be expensive to present as they often require expert investigation/testimony, and as such, usually can not be brought economically unless your injuries are significant as the amount of compensation will be based on the seriousness of the injury/disability. Further, such cases are subject to a lien by the workers compensation insurer for payback of the amounts they have paid less a % for the cost of recovery.
    It depends on your average weekly wage, what impairment rating the doctor assigns, and what disability rating is justified based on how it affects you vocationally. You should make an appointment to talk to a workers compensation lawyer to assist you with this claim.
    Robert C. Slim - Attorney at Law
    Robert C. Slim - Attorney at Law | Robert C. Slim
    No lawyer can give you value of your case by an online forum. Each case is different in its own way. There are just too many factors to consider.
    Adler Law Group, LLC
    Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
    Much more information is needed. Permanent ratings, scaring information , medical bills , photos and more.
    Lewis B. Kaplan | Lewis B. Kaplan
    I have done Illinois worker's compensation cases for many years and have never heard of " saber nerve" damage. So I googled the term and came up with nothing. So I guess the starting point in evaluating the value of your injury would be to know exactly what the injury is. From that point a whole lot more information would be needed to evaluate your claim. Bottom line is like it or not you need a lawyer to pursue the claim.
    Chen Kasher, Esq.
    Chen Kasher, Esq. | Chen Kasher
    There is a table for worker's comp. Retain an attorney and give notice of the claim.
    Padove Law | Burton A. Padove
    It is way too early for such a determination to be made as any award for workers compensation is based on how permanent the injury is. Hiring counsel is the best way to insure that you maximize your compensation. Workers compensation lawyers take a percentage at the time of settlement so you will have no upfront fee to pay.