How much is my case worth if I suffered an injury from being thrown out of a golf cart? 14 Answers as of April 07, 2014

On May 5, 2013 I was at a friend’s house. He was driving use around his property on his golf cart. He suddenly made a sharp jerk of the wheel and threw myself and another person off. I was knocked out cold for about 10 minutes at which time I was loaded in a truck not an ambulance and driven to the hospital. At which time I was rushed into emergency surgery for a craniotomy. I have regained all physical ability but I can work. I have no concentration cannot handle any level of stress. I'm only able to do things or maybe two hours at a time then must lay down to rest. I'm now on high blood pressure medicine and have some level of disability. Not to mention a sensitivity to light please tell me a ball park of what my case is worth.

Candiano Law Office
Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
If all facts are true, the case is worth the full limits of all available insurance.
Lombardi Law Firm
Lombardi Law Firm | Steve Lombardi
No lawyer can provide a legitimate answer without reading the medical records, obtaining reports about future damages and reviewing the facts about how the accident occurred. You probably suffered traumatic brain damage of a permanent nature and therefore require a neuropsychological evaluation. This is not something you can do alone; you need legal assistance.
Answer Applies to: Iowa
Your case is worth whatever a jury says its worth.
James M. Chandler | James M. Chandler
You can sue your friend for negligence to recover any damages you received from his negligent actions.
If your case is worth anything? You have to prove the other dude was at fault, and that you were not at fault. I don't know if there is any insurance on a golf cart or whether he has any coverage of any kind. And I don't know whether he is worthy of a judgment so don't count your chickens before they hatch. See a good Personal Injury lawyer with all details.
    There are simply too many elements to be considered. These include percentage of fault, age and health and background of the claimant, the nature of the injury, the treatment, the diagnosis, the prognosis, the cost of the treatment, and the outcome. Also to be taken into account in some cases are the amount and type of insurance coverage and the name of the insurance company. Most attorneys offer a free conference. We suggest that you talk to a few lawyers. Also, you should know that an independent study showed that claimants did better, even after fees, with a lawyer than without.
    Gregory M Janks, PC
    Gregory M Janks, PC | Gregory M Janks
    The value of case can rarely, if ever, be estimated without a full investigation into the facts of any particular incident. There also needs to be an analysis of what insurance coverage, if any, applies to your claim. Further, a thorough medical history needs to be obtained of your pre and post-incident medical treatment. Then the medical records need to be collected, reviewed and summarized. Only then can an estimate of the range of possible values of your claim be realistically made.
    Whenever I get a question like this, I am tempted to answer "eleventy jilllion dollars" but that would not be helpful Assessment of damages in a personal injury case requires detailed analysis of liability, the injuries, and the effect of those injuries upon the individual. This analysis includes application of legal principles, evidentiary factors, medical documentation, out of pocket expenses, calculation of future losses and experience in your jurisdiction as to likely range of prospective jury awards. We don't know how long you were out of work, what your rate of pay was, or the amount of your medical bills, all important factors. A "cookie-cutter" approach, a standard answer or a formula would be a disservice to someone such as yourself, who needs the help of an experienced personal injury lawyer. There is also the question of how much insurance coverage is available, particularly since you were not the only person injured. Conceivably, there could be liability issues. To answer the question properly, one would need extensive examination of all the evidence, particularly the medical records. I typically spend 4 -6 hours reviewing a file once it is complete to arrive at a settlement figure. Many people use this site to ask what their case is worth. Our answers are always: Get in touch with a personal injury lawyer in your area. That is the best way to get the best result in your case.
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates | Barry Rabovsky
    It definitely sounds like you could make a claim against your friend and his insurance. To give you an idea of what your case may be worth, it would be necessary to go over all of the medical treatment that you had as a result of the accident.
    Your case cannot be evaluated solely on the information we provided. It does appear that your injuries or significant, and it is therefore recommended that you see an attorney to determine if there is any potential liability of the owner/driver of the golf cart and whether or not there is some liability insurance.
    The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC
    The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC | Stephen R. Chesley
    You should contact an attorney to discuss the facts of the case and review the medicals.
    End, Hierseman & Crain, LLC | J. Michael End
    Your case has a potentially high settlement value, depending on all of the facts. There are many factors that must be considered in determining the settlement value of your potential claim, starting with the liability issue and whether you may have been partially to blame for the injuries you suffered. The amount of the medical bills, the impairment of earning capacity, and the daily effects of your injury on your life are all very important considerations.
    Case values vary significantly from case to case and place to place. Experienced injury lawyers are familiar with such values. Consider consulting one.
    What does your lawyer think it's worth, because if you don't have one, you need to hire one.....it sounds like a very good case!