How much is my auto accident case worth and how do I file? 16 Answers as of June 02, 2015

6 months ago I was in an auto accident. I had seat belt burns, a scar on my face, and I had to go to the chiropractor for 20 weeks. They offered $3,500 plus the total bills which were around $10,000. I missed work and was in pain for a long time. How much could I get?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Utah Injury Lawyer
Utah Injury Lawyer | Will Rodgers
Without knowing more about your case it would be unwise to guess the value of your case. However, with the facts you set forth, it does sound that you have a good injury case that has good value and potentially even great value. It does appear that your case is worth much more than the $3,500.00 to you plus paying your medical bills. So, for your own benefit, immediately contact an injury lawyer to evaluate your case and if taken, represent you in the case without any money coming from you. The reality is car insurance companies jerk people around who are not injury lawyers. As injury lawyers, we represent our clients and help them get their healthcare bills paid and get the best financial compensation they can get on their case.
Answer Applies to: Utah
Replied: 6/2/2015
Gregory M Janks, PC
Gregory M Janks, PC | Gregory M Janks
This doesn't really seem like a Michigan question, despite the tag that says that it is. Because in MI it is your own vehicle insurer that pays your medical expenses, not the insurer for the at fault owner/driver. The value of any pain & suffering case against any at fault parties requires that you prove their negligence and that you suffered a serious impairment of an important body function and/or permanent, serious disfigurement. There is no formula for how much any particular case is worth. Typically your recovery is limited to the amount of insurance the at fault parties have (although they do retain personal liability for any damage amounts above their applicable coverage). It is usually best to consult local counsel who regularly handles the type of claim you have for an in depth analysis of the possible range of values/outcomes of your claim. Usually same can not be determined in a precise dollar amount and requires a bit of investigation, which includes getting medical treatment records and/or speaking to/getting reports from your treating doctors about the nature and extent of your injuries.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 5/29/2015
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
First things first: consult an experienced personal injury lawyer. No one can answer your question until you provide a great deal more information, which a p.i. lawyer is trained to elicit. There are likely to be types of compensable damages, for example, with which a layperson is usually unfamiliar. Negotiating with insurance companies is a learned skill. It's usually worth the investment. Good Luck.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 5/28/2015
Law Offices of Robert Burns
Law Offices of Robert Burns | Robert Burns
Meet with an attorney with all information. I can't see your scar. I can't evaluate how (un)necessary or well/over priced your chiropractor bills, but the presumption is that you will never recover anything close to $10,000 in chiroquacker bills.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/28/2015
Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm
Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm | Thomas Bulman
Depends on how hard you are willing to work. It is not large enough to hire an attorney either on an hourly or contingency fee basis. But you can contact your county Justice Court and learn how to file a lawsuit yourself. It's just like Peoples Court on tv. This will make the adjuster take your case more seriously.
Answer Applies to: Montana
Replied: 5/28/2015
    Adler Law Group, LLC
    Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
    A lot more information is needed to properly value the case. The case should also be properly built with medical reports and scar photographs along with a permanent impairment rating from a doctor. a guesstimate at this stage would be that your case could be worth 40 to 50 thousand dollars or more depending on numerous factors. It would be worthwhile to get Council to properly build your case since the insurance company will never give you a fair value without one. If in Connecticut feel free to call us for a free consultation.
    Answer Applies to: Connecticut
    Replied: 5/28/2015
    Law Office of Robert M. Turkewitz
    Law Office of Robert M. Turkewitz | Robert M. Turkewitz
    I am an attorney investigating cases involving injuries from air bags. How did you get the scar on your face?
    Answer Applies to: South Carolina
    Replied: 5/28/2015
    End, Hierseman & Crain, LLC | J. Michael End
    A lawyer would need much more information than what you included in your inquiry. You will be entitled to your wage loss, your medical bills (past and future), and compensation for your pain, suffering, scarring, and disability. I think you should hire a personal injury lawyer in your area to be sure you receive fair compensation. It does not sound like $10,000 is fair compensation.
    Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
    Replied: 5/28/2015
    Law Office of Lisa Hurtado McDonnell | Lisa Hurtado McDonnell
    What the total of your medical bills and loss of income times by three.
    Answer Applies to: Utah
    Replied: 5/27/2015
    Law Ofices of Edwin K. Niles | Edwin K. Niles
    Almost every day we get a request for evaluation of a claim. We cannot respond to such a request, as there are simply too many elements to be considered. These include percentage of fault, age and health and background of the claimant, the nature of the injury, the treatment, the diagnosis, the prognosis, the cost of the treatment, and the outcome. Also to be taken into account in some cases are the amount and type of insurance coverage and the name of the insurance company. Most attorneys offer a free conference. We suggest that you talk to a few lawyers. Also, you should know that an independent study showed that claimants did better, even after fees, with a lawyer than without.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 5/27/2015
    Jefferson and Biggs | Matthew Jefferson
    This is an impossible question to answer on those limited facts. You need to consult with a PI lawyer in your area who can evaluate your case and assist you with filing a claim should one exist. I assume you took your car to a mechanic, and I assume you went to the doctor for your injuries. You should continue that by consulting an attorney for your possible legal claims?..
    Answer Applies to: Utah
    Replied: 5/27/2015
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C.
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C. | Andrew Velonis
    Assessment of damages in a personal injury case requires detailed analysis of liability, the injuries, and the effect of those injuries upon the individual. This analysis includes application of legal principles, evidentiary factors, medical documentation, out of pocket expenses, calculation of future losses and experience in your jurisdiction as to likely range of prospective jury awards. A "cookie-cutter" approach, a standard answer or a formula would be a disservice to someone such as yourself, who needs the help of an experienced personal injury lawyer. To answer the question properly, one would need extensive examination of all the evidence, particularly the medical records. You don't even tell us what your injuries were, whether they are permanent, or whether you have any disability as a result. You state that you "missed work" but you don't say how long you were out, or what your rate of pay was. There are many other questions to address. I typically spend about 4 - 6 hours reviewing a file once it is complete in order to determine my settlement position. Many people use this site to ask what their case is worth. Our answers are always: Get in touch with a personal injury lawyer in your area. That is the best way to get the best result in your case.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 5/27/2015
    Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
    That is a low ball offer. You should not settle for less than $30,000 - $25,000. You need to retain a personal injury attorney. S/he will be able to get the maximum amount of money for your injuries.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 5/27/2015
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates | Barry Rabovsky
    It appears that the offer they are making may be too low. The offer is substantially less than your medical bills, you indicated you had lost time from work, and you also mentioned that you have a scar on your face. It may be in your best interest to get a free consultation from an attorney that handles injury cases.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 5/27/2015
    Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
    Your case is worth whatever you can prove as damages. In Michigan, unless the scar was pretty bad, your case is not worth a whole bunch of money. The problem with representing yourself is that you have a lousy lawyer for a lawyer, and a foolish client for a client.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 5/27/2015
    James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C.
    James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C. | Jim Hasser
    Case values differ from place to place and case to case. It is the job of an experienced injury lawyer to know those values. Consider consulting one. Good luck.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 5/27/2015
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney