How much must someone make to sponsor an immigrant? 6 Answers as of January 25, 2011

How much does my fiance needs to earn to sponsor me to stay with him in America. He only earns 8 an hour plus tips right now.

The standard that USCIS looks at is 125% of the Poverty Guidelines for your family size.
Pauly P.A.
Pauly P.A. | Clemens W. Pauly
A petitioner must also qualify as a sponsor for purposes of the form I-864. For a two person household, your spouse would be required to have an annual income of at least $18,212 (or $20,950 and $22,762 for Hawaii and Alaska respectively) according to the 2010 Poverty Guidelines. If he cannot meet this income requirement, then your own US income can be considered or you need a joint sponsor who would qualify. You should consult with an immigration attorney as to the details of this type of immigration petition though, as there are many more considerations separate and apart from the ability to qualify as a sponsor.
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
Look up Federal Poverty Guideline and match his household size with the appropriate amount and that's the income level the sponsor must earn to qualify to sponsor green card.
Go to the USCIS website at USCIS.gov and click on FORMS. Then click on Form I-864 and look at the instructions for Form I-1864 to determine the size of your husband's "household size." Then click on Form I-864P to see how much a person needs to make to qualify to sponsor someone based on their household size. Based on $8.00 per hour, for a household size of 2 (you and your fiance), he does not make enough unless he can document the amount of tips since the minimum is $18,212.00..
125% of the U.S. Poverty Guidelines for a family of his size.