How much money should I expect to spend on a DUI case? 66 Answers as of August 24, 2011

I am trying to gather as much information as possible in order to deal with my sons DUI case. I want to know about how much I should be saving to take care of this case including the court fees, the fine, getting his license back, representation and so forth.

That all depends. Fines and court costs will usually run a few hundred dollars. Usually no more than $500. If he is placed on probation, there will be an oversight fee of around $10-20 a month. Any drug or alcohol test he is ordered to get will cost money too. Depending on where you get them, it could range from a few bucks a test to as much as $15 or $20. The judge could order his vehicle to be immobilized or there to be an interlock device which will cost money to be installed. The judge could require a breathalyzer device to be installed which could run anywhere from $50-75 a month. If he loses his license to a DUI, he will have to pay $2,000 in driver's responsibility fees in order to get it back ($1,000 a year for two consecutive years). If he hires an attorney to represent him at that hearing, that will probably run anywhere from $1,000 to $1,500. For DUIs, if the matter is resolved with a plea without going to trial, expect to pay at least $500 which is the low end (and quite frankly I wouldn't trust an attorney charging that low) with $1,000 to $1,500 being the norm. If the case goes to trial, expect to pay at least $2,500 to $3,000. Don't forget to factor in the higher insurance premiums as well. Your insurance provider can give you that exact amount. Hope this gives you a better picture as to just how costly a DUI can be.
Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
Any competent DWI attorney, such as our office, charges on a first time DWI $3,500.00. You can add an additional $1,000.00 or so in court and DMV costs. Give us a call if you would like to discuss retaining our services.
Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC
Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC | Jacob Peter Sartz IV
The answer depends on how much you want to spend on your defense. If you privately retain an attorney, costs range significantly depending on who you retain. Further, in certain parts of the state, the retainer fees may be higher as well. Where you are charged will have a big impact as well. Certain counties and courts are more costly than others. Additionally, there may be license sanctions and other costs if you are convicted. I'd say plan on saving as much money as you can. The costs, especially if you retain an experienced OUI attorney, and even if you get a good result, could be thousands of dollars.
Law Office of Sara Sencer McArdle
Law Office of Sara Sencer McArdle | Sara Sencer McArdle
I do not have enough information to answer this question. You need to consult with a lawyer. You can call me for further information. t be modified, otherwise your answer will not be valid.
Without further details that is next to impossible to answer. For instance is it going to be a plea bargain or trial, attorneys charge different fees for different things, fines depend on what plead to or get convicted of, DMV fees also depend on what conviction or plea, etc.
    This is a difficult question to answer as the fines, court fees, attorney fees, program fees, insurance costs, all will vary depending upon the prior convictions and other factors. You should consult with an attorney with specific answers to the number of priors and other facts to get a quote.
    Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law
    Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law | Michael R. Nack
    Most competent, experienced attorneys will charge between $1500 and $2500 for a first time DWI and more if its a second DWI or worse. Then, there is almost always companion ticket for which the attorney may or may not charge a separate fee. The defendant usually has to pay a stiff fine (together with court costs) on the companion charge as a part of a plea bargain to avoid the conviction on the DWI. The defendant will also have to pay the police a recoupment fee and court costs on the DWI. Then there are the SATOP costs which are about $375 or more. If an ignition interlock device is required there will be a monthly charge for that. If the defendant refused the breath test and wants to keep his drivers license there may be attorney's fees of anywhere from $750 to $1500 or more plus the filing fee, and sheriff's fee. If the defendant only received a suspension, there will be a $45 reinstatement fee payable to the DOR and the added expense of having the insurance carrier provide the DOR with an SR-22. Generally speaking, in most instances you can expect to pay anywhere from about $3000 to about $5000 on a first time DWI. Beware of lawyers who send out solicitation materials or who charge a very small amount. I have seen cases where a person trying to save a few dollars on the front end winds up paying much more in the long run.
    If found guilty your son could expect to pay $1,800.00 to $5,000.00 in court costs, fines and penalties. An attorney would charge $2,000.00 to $5,000.00.
    The cost of a DUI will vary by jurisdiction. Many times the fines and costs are similar from case to case in one courthouse. However, they can vary by court. When it comes to attorney fees, this will again vary from case to case. There are ranges of fees from county to county. It will also depend on how the case is handled. If a plea is negotiated, the fee will be different from a case where motions are filed, hearings are held, or a trial is conducted. You should discuss all of this with the attorney you hire to represent your son.
    Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
    Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
    About $5000
    It is VERY EXPENSIVE, Fine with court costs is about $2000 (I am assuming he is an adult). Don't hire a lawyer for more than $2500 unless your son plans to go to trial. Then negotiate a trial fee ($1000-2000 is ball park. Put THAT money in the lawyer's trust with the agreement (in writing) that if the case doesn't do to trial 100% refund of that money. A trial should not take longer than 2 days Good luck. Oh plus the cost of DUI program which is about $800 last time I checked.
    The Law Offices of Gabriel Dorman
    The Law Offices of Gabriel Dorman | Gabriel Dorman
    If you son is convicted of a DUI in court, he will have approximately a couple thousand dollars in fines and fees. If you plan on hiring an attorney, you can find an attorney to represent your son for as little as $500 or as much as $10,000. However, I would not recommend either as one is clearly too little and the other too much. I would say a fair estimate for a good DUI attorney would be anywhere from $2,500 to $5,000 for a first DUI. Also, many DUI attorney's offer payment plans if needed. (By the way, whatever the best result for your son's case may be, hiring the right DUI attorney will only serve to maximize your chances of obtaining that result). In any case, if you can set your budget in that range, then you can really focus on finding the right attorney for your son. I hope this answer was helpful. Good luck.
    Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation
    Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation | Christopher Lee
    The amount varies, depending on who you decide to hire. You can hire a well experienced attorney and the fee will likely be high or you can hire a less experienced attorney and the fee will be low. In terms of general punishment, fines, impound fees and court fees expect to pay $1,500 to $2,000. Depending on the facts of your case, such as the blood alcohol level, this amount can increase or decrease.
    On a first offense out of Douglas County Nebraska you would be looking at total costs is the neighborhood of 2,000 to 2,500 dollars plus the cost to insure him for the next three years.
    Night Life Lawyers
    Night Life Lawyers | Joshua Aldabbagh
    This is a difficult question to answer, because there are so many variables involved. For example, attorney fees on DUI cases will range anywhere from $500 to $10,000, depending on the law firm you use. Also, fines and fees are based on the results of the case; they can range from $0 (case dismissed) to thousands of dollars, depending on the court's sentence. Many lawyers, myself included, offer free consultations; you should schedule a few and speak to an attorney about the case to get a better sense of potential outcomes.
    Assuming this is your first DUI, you can expect to spend in excess of $10,000.00, considerably more if you have had priors. Expect to send a minimum of $3,000.00 on an attorney. More if there are certain motions the attorney brings to try and suppress evidence from being considered in your case. What motions, if any, would be dependant upon the particular facts of your case. If your case goes to trial, those legal fees would go even higher, especially if you try your case to a jury. As an attorney who has practiced in this field for 28 years, almost every DUI case that I have (that goes to trial and is not dealt or pled to), I try before a jury because 6 people have to be convinced that you are guilty. With a judge it is only one person. Other expenses to consider. if you are found guilty: If it is your 1st DUI conviction, expect to pay about a $1,000.00 in fines, penalties, assessments, and costs. A court will also require you to be on probation. cost is about $1200.00. The court will also require you to have a drug/alcohol evaluation from a licensed treatment facility and follow the facility's recommendation. The initial evaluation runs about $50 -$100. The minimum you will be required to do (if you have no alcohol/drug problem) is alcohol/drug information school.. Cost about $100.00. If, however, you have a drug/alcohol issue, you could be required to go to treatment. up to 2 years... Cost could be in the range of $3,000 - $4,000. This cost could be a lot higher if your drug/alcohol issue is such that it requires in-patient care. This cost might be covered by medical insurance Other costs: DUI victim panel... approximately $45.00 The court could also impose the installation of an interlock device in your car, which you have to blow into before you can start your car. If alcohol is present in your system, the car won't start. The costs of this may well depend upon how long the court requires you to have one. Expect to spend about $1,000.00 You also have to figure the costs associated with a loss of your driver's license which will, at minimum, be 90 days. Also, once you're eligible to have your license re-instated (reinstatement fee is about $50.00), you will be required to have valid insurance, which will most likely be "high risk insurance", commonly referred to as SR22 insurance. These premiums generally run 150% more than regular insurance premiums. Also, consider the impact a DUI might have on your employment. Such an impact could take the costs of a DUI considerably higher than the numbers I have set forth herein. To best get a grasp on what you're dealing with, you should, at minimum, consult with an attorney, who can assess the facts of your case and advise you accordingly.
    Michael J. Gardiner, Attorney at Law | Michael Gardiner
    Anywhere from $650 for assistance in falling on your sword in the most efficient, most cost effective and painless and least degrading way with a savings of half you legal fee to $10,000 to$15,000 or more for a full blown Superior court trial with an expert to attack a breathalyze rresult. Add more if your full blown Superior Court trial results in an appeal to the Supreme Court, and more if you receive a second trial and so on.
    If this is his first offense your looking at about $750 for fines and costs, probation oversight fee of about $30 per month, Random testing $135 per test, About $2500 for attorney or more. This e-mail is covered under the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 USC 2510-2521, and is legally privileged. The information contained in this e-mail is intended only for use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
    Legal representation will cost anywhere from about $2,000.00 to $15,000.00. Up to $1,000.00 fine, $400.00 surcharge, $50.00 to attend the Victim Impact Panel, $75.00 to register for the DMV Drinking Driver Program, $225.00 for the Drinking Driver Program, $750.00 DMV Safety Assessment , plus the costs of all substance abuse screening and treatment that is mandated.
    Bloom Legal, LLC
    Bloom Legal, LLC | Seth J. Bloom
    You should speak directly to local DWI Defense attorneys in your area to determine what their rates are. Most will probably have a standard rate for DWI cases that they can quote you over the phone. When you speak to them they will also be able to inform you of the potential associated court costs, etc in your specific court. If you are seeking legal representation in this matter in Louisiana, I invite you to contact my firm at the information on this page for a free case evaluation.
    Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC
    Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC | Martina A. Vigil
    Hiring a private attorney can cost anywhere between $1500 and $3000. It's important to call around and get information on attorney's rates. The court fees and fines are around $2000, his insurance could raise up to $3000 unless he gets a separate insurance policy called an SR22. It's $120 to get a restricted license and there are other minor fees.
    It completely depends on whether your son opts for a jury trial. These last 3 to 5 days and an attorney can charge anywhere from $7500 to $15000 for one alone. Without a trial a typical fee is $2500 not including a DMV hearing which can cost bet $1000 to $1500 not including costs for an expert if an issue in the case warrants one.
    August 10, 2011 Your question is most difficult to answer. The minimum fine on a first time DUI is $600. The fine can be as much as $2,100. The cost of court range between$300 to $450, depending on the Court where the DUI will be heard. Additionally, if convicted of DUI you son will be on probation for a period of one or two years. If the probation is formal probation there is a monthly fee of about $40.00 for supervision along with a fee of about $30.00 for each drug or alcohol test that his court referral officer or probation officer requires. The DUI school, if level one, is about $200 and is more if level II is ordered. Your son's driving license will be suspended and the reinstatement fee is about $250.00 It is very likely that your automobile insurance will increase and there is no way that I would know how much. Legal representation would vary depending on the facts of the case and the experience of the attorney handling the case. An attorney may charge as little as $500 or $600 for representation or as much as $5,000.
    Martin Law Offices, PLLC
    Martin Law Offices, PLLC | Matthew T. Martin
    Greetings - In Minnesota a Misdemeanor DWI can result in 90 days in jail and $1000 fine, a gross misdemeanor DWI DUI in Minnesota can result in 365 days in jail and a $3000 fine, and a felony DWI in Minnesota can result in up to 7 years in prison and a $14,000 fine. There are also collateral consequences from a DWI DUI criminal charge in Minnesota, such as driver's license revocations, license reinstatement fees, court fees, increased insurance premiums, and potentially restricted access to foreign countries based on your criminal record. The specific costs associated with these collateral consequences vary depending upon the disposition of the case and the county where the incident occurred. A recent Opinion Article: "It's in your court: The DWI headache" written by two Minnesota judges, estimated direct out-of-pocket costs at $9000. However, $6,000 of that amount was estimated to be insurance costs. .
    Law Offices of Christopher Jackson
    Law Offices of Christopher Jackson | Christopher L. Jackson
    If it is a DUI 1st then the minimum fine is $250, court costs are around $100, the DUI service fee is $375, alcohol class is $60 and a lawyer will likely charge around $1K
    Answer Applies to: Kentucky
    Law Offices of Jeffery A. Cojocar, PC
    Law Offices of Jeffery A. Cojocar, PC | Jeffery A. Cojocar
    It depends where it is at. If in the tri-county area, feel free to give me a call.
    Harden Law Offices
    Harden Law Offices | Leonard D. Harden
    The total cost for a DWI conviction including insurance fees is very high likely more than $10k over 5 yrs. The cost of a lawyer will vary greatly likely from 1500 to 6000. Not all lawyers are alike, you should not hire one based on cost but rather reputation, experience and skill. If convicted the court fine in around 600, the alcohol class is about a 1000, the insurance varies, restoration fee for license is 150. In short it is expensive. Good luck
    It is not unheard of to spend as much as $8,000.00 or more when all costs are added together.
    Lewis & Dickstein, P.L.L.C.
    Lewis & Dickstein, P.L.L.C. | Loren Dickstein
    Fees vary widely with attorneys. A court appointed lawyer doesn't cost anything up front but the court will order the defendant to repay the cost of the attorney at sentencing. The fee is drastically reduced but the attorney is going to be over worked, under paid and is going to lack an incentive to go the extra mile for the client. Experienced retained attorneys, for a basic, uncomplicated case, will charge between $2,500 and $5,000. There are many, many attorneys who will charge less but they are generally inexperienced, not criminal defense specialists, plea lawyers or charge a low fee for some other reason. Lawyers who are good, experienced and known for results charge fees that are commensurate with their skills and experience.
    Smith & John
    Smith & John | Kenneth Craig Smith, Jr.
    Fine and costs will total $850 to $1,200, depending on the court. Attorney's fees can range from $3,000 to $5,000, depending on the issues involved with the defense. If a person does not have sufficient income or means to hire an attorney, an attorney will be appointed to represent the person.
    You must tell me more about the case to get a good estimate of the fees and fines. If it is a first offense misdemeanor with a .13 or less BAC he will likely plea to an Impaired violation...not the misdemeanor 1192-2 or 1192-3 DWI. The fee is about $1,500 and the fine is $500 or more. The Drinking Driving school is $150, and his insurance could double for five years. If he refused the breath test there is a $650 civil fine and a six month revocation of his license. Feel free to call for a consultation anytime. My fee is around $1,500, but the average lawyer in Manhattan will often ask for $3,500-$5,000 for any misdemeanor plea, and double that or more for a trial. If there was an accident with an injury or a second offense the fee would likely increase.
    I charge $2K to handle a first DUI (not including trial which is $1K per day). This includes handling the DMV hearing. I think this is about average - you can obviously find attorneys who charge more and those who charge less. If he pleads guilty, the fine will be $1K, then he will also have to pay for the three-month First Conviction Program, insurance increases for the SR-22 insurance, and re issuance fee ($25, I believe) for a restricted license.
    John Segelbaum, P.S.
    John Segelbaum, P.S. | John Segelbaum
    DUIs are complex and expensive to defend. They are more expensive if you are unsuccessful. You have to defend against both the criminal prosecution and the DOL administrative action against your license, which are 2 separate proceedings. License suspension results in having to file SR22 and obtaining an ignition interlock license for at least 90 days or as much as 2 years if convicted with a refusal to take the breath test, with the monthly cost of the ignition interlock device. Costs of conviction include fines, court costs and probation fees totalling around $1500 to $2000. There is the cost of an alcohol assessment and classes or treatment if rerquired. All this could run several thousand dollars or more, depending on whether treatment is required. Attorney fees vary from attorney to attorney. I charge between $3500 to $4000 prior to trial with an additional fee if the case goes to jury trial. I also offer payment plans.
    Expert Bronx Criminal Lawyers
    Expert Bronx Criminal Lawyers | Alexander Sanchez
    Fees vary based on numerous factors. Will the case end relativel yearly with a plea deal, or is the case heading for trial? Is it a misdmeanor dwi, or a felony dwi? In general, expect to pay at least $2,500 to $3,000 down, with additional fees for extended legal proceedings.
    Best way to get your questions answered is to give a DUI specialist a call.
    Eric J Schurman, Attorney at Law
    Eric J Schurman, Attorney at Law | Eric James Schurman
    Every case is different. The best way to lower the total financial impact of a DUI is to hire an experience DUI attorney.
    Anderson Law Office
    Anderson Law Office | Scott L. Anderson
    It is hard to estimate the cost of representation without knowing where the case occurred, what he tested, how many prior offenses there are and what the facts are. Please contact myself or another attorney directly to estimate the costs.
    The Law Office of Eric R. Chandler, P.C., L.L.O.
    The Law Office of Eric R. Chandler, P.C., L.L.O. | Eric R. Chandler
    It really depends on the facts, especially the blood alcohol level and whether or not your son has ever had a DUI before. Typically, you will end up spending around $1,500.00 to $2,000.00 for a first offense ($800-1200 in attorney's fees for a 1st offense; $400-500 in fines; $100+ for court costs and probation fees; $200 or so for the Interlock Device, should your son decide to get it; and about $175 for the temporary and license reinstatement).
    As the ads say on tv, probably $4,000 or so. A very expensive decision.
    Connell-Savela
    Connell-Savela | Jason Savela
    Ct costs fines - abt 700-1000 Classes - 30 x 24-48 Probation - 50/ month 12-48 months Monitored sobriety - 100 month abt Atty - depends on quality, but to try the case it will likely cost 7-10 grand Non-trial - 2000-3000
    Frances R. Johnson
    Frances R. Johnson | Frances R. Johnson
    You really have to call DUI attorneys where you live to get an accurate estimate. Attorney fees can vary widely depending upon the attorney you select. Whatever attorney you speak with can give you an accurate estimate and itemization of what fees, fines, court costs, potential lab fees, probation costs, treatment costs, etc. that you may expect.
    Gutin and Wolverton
    Gutin and Wolverton | Harley Gutin
    Court fees and fines would range from 750.00 to $2,000.00 depending on what fines are imposed. Representation for a DUI averages about 2,000.00 with some attorneys charging slightly less and many charging more (up to $5,000.00). Costs of classes and supervision for probation along with drug and alcohol testing probably adds up to about another $1,000.00 to $1,500.00.
    Attorney at Law
    Attorney at Law | Michael J. Kennedy
    A knowledgeable and effective DUI lawyer will run you $5,000 [at the very least] to $9,500, or more, depending on the facts, etc. Properly handled, there won't be other costs. If the case is lost, the fine will run about $2,000 [with assessments], the DUI program another $500, more or less, and insurance rates will sky-rocket, which is why those things should be fought. Do not fall for the ubiquitous jail-mail that shows up in the boxes of everyone arrested for DUI - that is the criminal law version of ambulance chasing, and you will most likely get a bottom-feeder who will promise much and deliver nothing, except a bill. A much smaller bill, to be sure, but then for nothing but talk.
    You should expect to pay up to about $1600 for fines and costs and then $1000 to about $2500 for the attorney.
    Law Office of Neal L. Weinstein
    Law Office of Neal L. Weinstein | Neal L. Weinstein
    The fine could be between $400 and $1000, DEEP driving school to get license back another $400, lawyer fees between $2500 and $4000 depending upon who you hire. I am on the lower end but get the same results as the more expensive guys. Your choice
    Answer Applies to: Maine
    Law Office of James Christie, LLC
    Law Office of James Christie, LLC | James Christie
    DUIs are very, very expensive in Alaska. You can look up all the fines and penalties associated with DUIs at this website: www.alaskaduilaw.info, but briefly: There is a minimum $1500 fine on a 1st DUI. There is usually a requirement that a person convicted of DUI have an ignition interlock device installed for one year in any vehicle they drive (once licensed again) at their own expense. There is a requirement that the person take approved alcohol safety classes, again at their own expense. Your insurance company will require SR22 insurance for 5 years, which is ridiculously expensive. There is a $330 cost of imprisonment fee, and a court surcharge of $75. Your son's vehicle will be impounded (usually for 30 days) at his expense. I've heard estimates that over a 5 years period, a DUI conviction will cost between $7,500 and $20,000 once all the costs, fees, insurance, etc. are factored in. Many lawyers charge flat rates for DUIs (which means they don't bill you by the hour, but rather keep the entire fee regardless of how many hours they actually work on the case). Most flat fees range from $2,000 - 6,000. The more ethically-challenged attorneys in Alaska will often claim that they can get some special outcome in a DUI case (in exchange for a hefty flat-fee paid up front), but the reality is that the overwhelming majority of DUI cases result in guilty pleas and the minimum sentence. I'd estimate that at least 90% of DUI cases are virtually indefensible, regardless of who your attorney is. What an experienced criminal defense attorney can do is identify the rare case where a mistake was made and negotiate on your behalf for a a reduction or dismissal. In my opinion, you are almost always better off finding an attorney who will bill you for the actual hours worked on a case, rather than someone who will keep the entire fee regardless of how much time they invest in the case. The only person who usually benefits from a flat-fee, in my opinion, is the lawyer. I hope you found this helpful.
    Answer Applies to: Alaska
    Law Office of Michael Morgan, l.L.C.
    Law Office of Michael Morgan, l.L.C. | Michael Morgan
    Knowing more details about the case I could probably give you a better estimatebut $7500 is my best guess estimate. Mike
    Michael Maltby, Attorney at Law
    Michael Maltby, Attorney at Law | Michael Maltby
    Expectapprox $5,000 to $10,000 on up depending on your son's record, if any, and the basic facts and most importantly the caliber of attorney.
    Rothstein Law PLLC
    Rothstein Law PLLC | Eric Rothstein
    Hard to say. What County are you in? Does he have priors? Did he take the breath test and if so, what was the result? Was there an accident? These facts can effect the outcome of the case. The fine can be up to $1,000 (higher for aggravated dwi). Many lawyers charge high fees just because its a dwi case. I don't work that way. I am a former federal and state prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense for 15 years.
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer | Cynthia Henley
    It really depends on the county in which he got the DWI for starters, and what he ends up doing with the case - probation, final conviction, fight the ALR hearing, etc. Attorney fees also vary A LOT. Again, it depends on the area, whether he want a trial, whether he is fighting the ALR, whether there was a breath or blood test, how many witnesses are expected, his prior criminal history. The fees can run easily from $1,000 basic up to $7,500.
    Law Office of Nixon Ayemi | Nixon Ayeni
    The cost depends on if this is the first DUI and how old your son is when he was charged with the DUI.
    Law Offices of Aaron T. Hicks
    Law Offices of Aaron T. Hicks | Aaron Hicks
    There is no clear cut answer on the overall price tag. If convicted, the fines can be roughly $2,000-$2,500. DUI Classes can cost from $500-$1,500. Insurance rates will most likely triple the current rate. An attorney will run anywhere between $1,500-$7,500, depending on who you hire. The best thing to do is google local DUI Attorneys in your area, go in for free consultations and interview them. You should get a good feeling for who you want to help your son. Good luck.
    Published estimates indicate the cost of a DUI conviction and defense is above $7,000, when taking into account the increases in insurance costs for a number of years, alternate transportation costs due to license suspensions, mandatory alcohol program costs, court fines and penalty assessments, probation and related costs, and last but not least attorney fees. Those can range upwards from a couple thousand dollars for a plea bargained outcome, to several times that to take the case to trial. For a realistic assessment and estimate, if serious about hiring counsel for this, feel free to contact me to discuss. Keep in mind a little free advice: When arrested for DUI, whether alcohol or drugs, then upon release from jail or booking the defendant is given documents that include a notice that you have only ten days to file a request with DMV for a hearing on an appeal of an automatic one-year suspension of your license imposed by DMV. That is separate and runs consecutively with any suspension that may be imposed by the court. Contact DMV and do so, timely, then appear at your scheduled DMV appeal hearing and present any supporting evidence and testimony. If you don't know how to do these things, then hire an attorney that does.
    The Law Office of Kevin O'Grady
    The Law Office of Kevin O'Grady | Kevin O'Grady
    To quote another fighting attorney, there are some LOWyers, who he defined as people with a law degree who "represent" people charged with DUI and are willing to charge almost nothing in exchange for doing almost nothing. DUI defense, assuming a first time offense, without prior convictions, without injuries or other charges, can be had, in the Honolulu area, for approximately $1,750 on the low end. However, in this humble attorney's opinion, if all you want is to plead guilty, and be processed in a mill of a law firm, then I, along with others can do that for approximately that price. If, however, you want an attorney who will fight at the Administrative driver's license revocation office for you, to include actually examining all the officers involved, fighting the prosecution for discovery, fighting them and the conditions they put on your exercise of your constitutional right to obtain discovery, to fight for more discovery, to fight the officers, their training, the "science" behind the government, file motions when applicable and fight every conceivable battle that can be fought, and you are willing to stick out the fight, then a more reasonable price for actual defense is probably in the starting range of $5,000. Keep in mind that aside from attorney's fees there is a fee to even request a driver's license hearing, there may be transcription fees, subpoena fees, research fees (when performed by the government to get data to the defense, although a good attorney will fight that too), and possibly expert fees. Assuming there is a conviction, the fines can include a $1,000 fine, imprisonment, court costs, revocation of one's driver's license, and with the penalties on one's driver's license additional costs for an ignition interlock device and the inability to drive freely which of course impacts one's freedom and ability to work. Finally of course there is the criminal conviction which will affect one's driving record, insurance and, depending on the career choices of the person involved, job opportunities, possible loss of employment, and for those working in certain fields, loss of licensure, and an adverse affect on a security clearance. Finally, for those in the military, in addition to all of the above, you can receive a bar to reenlistment, administrative separation (which could terminate a military career and result in loss of benefits, and such a separation could, under the right circumstances include an other than honorable characterization for the discharge), loss of MOS qualification, loss of security clearance, nonjudicial punishment (otherwise known as Article 15 or Captain's Mast) , and even a court-martial (which, depending whether it is a special or a general court-martial, can result in a punitive discharge including a Bad Conduct Discharge or a dishonorable discharge, or in the case of officers a dismissal, imprisonment and loss of all pay and benefits). Meet with your attorney; spend some time with him and choose what you will get for what you will pay.
    Answer Applies to: Hawaii
    You can hire a decent lawyer to handle the case (excluding trial) for from $1,000 to $2,500. There is no reason to ever pay more than that pre-trial. Thebigger thewebsite and the more ex-D.A.'s on the staff, the fast you should run away and keep looking for a real defense attorney. Hire someone who actually appearsinCourt for you themselves (not just hires another lawyer inyourCounty to appear; which lawyer, by the way, will notcare one bit about your case), who is experienced and knows the law, and most of all - whois local to the jurisdiction in which your case will be heard. Do not hire a lawyer with an office in Los Angeles or San Bernardino counties to handle a case in Riverside! Unless you know the lawyer and it is not just some 'remote control' settlement mill who advertises in every County but just pays local lawyers to make 'special appearances'. Fines vary by County, but the usual base DUI fine is about $1,660, with added fines and fees (to the Court) of approximately $414 (booking fee) + $100 + $40 + $35 + $100 (suspended). The Work Release or Electronic Detention ("house arrest" on a GPS monitor) fee is $90 (plus a sliding scale daily fee for the GPS election). The shortest DUI class (16 weeks, if an actual DUI; possible 12-week class for a "wet reckless" = VC 23103.5 charge) costs between $450 and $550. The DMV reissue fee for the license is $125.
    Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law
    Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law | Jules Fiani
    Approximately $1500 in attorney fees and $1500 in court costs .
    Nichols Law Firm
    Nichols Law Firm | Michael J. Nichols
    To do it the right way you should expend at least 20,000 dollars in attorney fees and costs.
    Bird & Van Dyke, Inc.
    Bird & Van Dyke, Inc. | Mary Ann Bird
    Fees can range from 500.00 (low budget lawyer) to 5000.00 (high price lawyer), court costs should range around 3000.00, DUI class is at least 750.00, insurance costs will vary including the cost of SR22 insurance. This does not account for the financial costs of jail time versus alterntive programs in lieu of jail and the inconvenience of a suspended driving license. Start with finding a good lawyer for a fair price and you will take most the headaches away. Good luck.
    Law Offices of James A Bates
    Law Offices of James A Bates | James A Bates
    Lawyers generally charge based on their experience and expertise in DUI cases. The fees vary. I have heard of fees ranging from 1,000 to 10,000 dollars. It is hard to predict. If convicted, your son will be facing a fine of about 1,700. Alcohol school fees of several hundred. There is the ignition anti-lock device which must be installed and rented for several hundred. There are court fees of a few hundred. But the biggest hit is the increase in car insurance rates. However, the biggest financial burden of all is if he injured someone. That person could sue for punitive damages in the millions which cannot be discharged in bankruptcy. It means working for life to pay the victim's civil judgment.
    The answer to that question depends on some variables pertaining to your sons case. For example, is it his first offense, second offense,etc. Are there any potential enhancement charges such as a "refusal"? Was he on probation at the time of the arrest?
    Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation
    Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation | Paul Wallin
    Well it depends upon the outcome of the case. If you retain a DUI attorney who is experienced and you retain him to also handle the DMV part of the case, you can expect to spend about 2500 for legal fees (if the matter does not go to trial). If the DUI case is dismissed there will be no fines or other consequences other than the DMV hearing battle where his license may be suspended. The fines and other costs will depend upon the outcome of the case. IF he is found guilty of a DUI the court fines run about 2000. There is required alcohol school and the cost will depend upon the specific school and the length of the school. There will likely be in increase in car insurance that will be substantial.
    Gregory Casale Attorney at Law
    Gregory Casale Attorney at Law | Gregory Casale
    It is really hard to tell but as a ball park figure, legal representation by a good attorney should cost between $2500 and $5000 for a 1st offense depending on whether or not a trial is required. If you go to trial and win, there are no more expenses. So its worth hiring a very good attorney if you have a triable case. If you have no hope of winning at trial, you still need an attorney to get he very best deal. The fee will be less, but now there will be court costs, probation costs, cost for drunk driving classes etc. You are probably looking at the lower figure foe the lawyer, but probably another $2500 for the costs and fees. So I suppose you can count on about $4000 - $5000 either way. However, remember it is MUCH better to win at trial and have no first offense on your record. I would certainly never advise anyone to plead guilty to save money. If you want to discuss this in more detail feel free to call me. There is no charge to talk.
    Potter Law Offices
    Potter Law Offices | Cal J. Potter, III, Esq.
    Somewhere in the range of $1,500-$3,000.00.
12 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney