How much money should I ask for after a slip and fall personal injury? 35 Answers as of July 12, 2013

I slipped and fell in some water at a convenience store. Manager said it was their fault. I sprained left knee and right hip and sprained my right knee and left hip and lower back. Today I got a call from the adjuster she wanted to know how much I was looking for so she could come in a closed to what I wanted. They already admitted it was there fault. I have no clue on how much to ask for? Any suggestions?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Dearbonn Law Offices
Dearbonn Law Offices | Ajibola Oluyemisi Oladapo
Depends on the extent of your injuries and how much you have spent on hospital bills. *Please note that this not legal advise and should not be construed as such.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 6/1/2011
Law Office of Mark J. Leonardo
Law Office of Mark J. Leonardo | Mark Leonardo
This really cannot be answered precisely in this forum. There are many factors to be considered. I see you had some serious injuries, but apparently no broken bones. They pay more for broken bones. How much was all of the medical expenses? do you pay for them out of pocket? are they on a lien? did health insurance cover any of it? Did you lose time from work? what loss of earnings did you suffer as a result? These are just some of the questions I would have before I could give you an answer. Naturally, the adjuster who is NOT your friend wants to know what ballpark you are in so she can slam you for a number significantly lower than what you ask for. Rest assured of that. Shes just looking for the ceiling on negotiations. I would not give her an answer without first getting the advice of an attorney. You could either hire one on a contingency basis, or perhaps hire an attorney for an hour of his or her time to help you come up with a good demand. The alternative is to let the insurance company make the first offer. If they have all of your medical expenses and medical charts from the doctor(s) and your loss of earnings information, they can make you an offer without you making a demand.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/31/2011
Allen Murphy Law
Allen Murphy Law | W. Riley Allen
No competent lawyer is going to tell you that via email with that limited amount of information.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 5/31/2011
E. Ray Critchett, LLC
E. Ray Critchett, LLC | Ray Critchett
Generally, the value of a case will depend on numerous factors such as: type of injury, severity of injury, amount of medical expenses, time lost from work, people involved, companies involved, nature of liability, permanency etc . . . Unfortunately, it is impossible to provide you with an evaluation without fully reviewing the details of your specific case.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 11/6/2012
Dawson and Dawson
Dawson and Dawson | Ben Michael Larson
It's too difficult to answer this question based on the limited facts. When analyzing these types of cases, we factor in the total amount of the medical bills, length of the treatment, permanency of the injuries, and jurisdiction. The fact they have admitted liability is a strong factor on your side, but I would have to know a lot more. I would consult an attorney.
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 5/27/2011
    Richard E. Lewis, P.S.
    Richard E. Lewis, P.S. | Richard Eugene Lewis
    You should not settle the claim until you know you are fully recovered. They should also cover your medical expenses. The question of general damages is very subjective. There is no set formula. How long have you been limited by your injury? How did it affect your life? Your work? Recreation? If you have ongoing problems, you should look at getting legal advice. If you have made a speedy and full recovery and don't want to hire a lawyer, you might ask the adjustor to make and offer and then say you were thinking two or three times higher.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 5/27/2011
    David Hoines Law
    David Hoines Law | David Hoines
    What are your medical bills and lost wages/income, if any?
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 7/12/2013
    Fox Law Firm LLC
    Fox Law Firm LLC | Tina Fox
    I wouldn't suggest you ask for anything, but instead hire an attorney to represent you. The insurance companies will pay the bear minimum when you do not have an attorney involved. You may contact our office - we don't get paid unless you do.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 5/27/2011
    Law Office of Curry & Westgate
    Law Office of Curry & Westgate | Patrick Curry
    It is difficult to give advice without detailed information. So if no broken bones, or surgery needed then 2-3 times the medical bills is a good rule of thumb.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 5/27/2011
    The Law Office of Josh Lamborn, P.C.
    The Law Office of Josh Lamborn, P.C. | Josh Lamborn
    There is no precise answer for how much a case is worth. It is worth what a jury would end up paying you after you filed a lawsuit. There are many factors to take into account on each case, such as: pre-existing injuries to the same body parts; the time it took to heal; your age; how debilitating the injury was; what type of treatment you undertook; and so on. One thing you should be aware of is that you should wait until you are medically stationary before you even begin to negotiate with the insurance company. In cases where someone feels fine 2 to 3 days later they can sometimes feel pain from their injury even months later. Sometimes injuries are misdiagnosed as a sprain or strain but they are actually a tear or a rupture. You want to be sure that you are medically stationary before you settle with the insurance company because once you sign their release there is no going back. Insurance companies know that they will get out of case much cheaper if you do not have an attorney. You are playing their game on their field. They know that you do not have the skill or knowledge necessary to actually file a lawsuit. It is to their advantage to settle with you early before you undergo a bunch of treatment and possibly talk to an attorney. They also know that you are likely not familiar with the statutes that limit the time you have to file your lawsuit. If I were you I would sit down with a skilled personal injury lawyer and discuss your case in person. Without knowing all of the facts and circumstances of your case I can't tell you what an appropriate offer would be. If you insist on going it alone don't bother giving them a number. Make them approach you with a number then counter with something much higher. There is no sense in bidding against yourself.
    Answer Applies to: Oregon
    Replied: 5/27/2011
    Law Offices of Tom Patton
    Law Offices of Tom Patton | Thomas C. Patton
    The amount your case is worth depends upon many factors, including the jurisdiction where you were injured. I recommend that you consult with a personal injury attorney in your local area. Most provide free initial consultations.
    Answer Applies to: Oregon
    Replied: 5/27/2011
    Bloom Gates Sigler & Whiteleather, LLP
    Bloom Gates Sigler & Whiteleather, LLP | Matthew Shipman
    Without knowing the extent of your medical treatment, medical bills and pain and suffering, it is very difficult to give you a number that you should ask for. Most personal injury attorneys offer free consultations, you may try to meet with one in your area to get your questions answered better.
    Answer Applies to: Indiana
    Replied: 5/27/2011
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates | Barry Rabovsky
    You may have a case, based upon the information that you have supplied. We would be happy to provide you with a free consultation if you call my office at either of the numbers listed below. If my office accepts your case, there is no fee charged unless we are able to obtain a settlement for you.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 5/27/2011
    Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A.
    Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A. | Paul L. Whitfield
    You did not say what your bills are and the number of dr visits. Multiply your bills by 3 and demand. Take what you can get. Juries do not give large awards in slip and fall cases.
    Answer Applies to: North Carolina
    Replied: 5/27/2011
    Law Office of Sam Levine, LLC
    Law Office of Sam Levine, LLC | Sam L. Levine
    I highly recommend that you consult with an attorney about your slip & fall injury claim before you do or sign anything. Good luck!
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 5/27/2011
    Patrick M Lamar Attorney
    Patrick M Lamar Attorney | Patrick M Lamar
    This will depend on how much you medical bills were, how much you are expected to pay back (subrogation), and what the facts were relating to the fall. You need a lawyer. Now.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 5/27/2011
    Anderson & Bliven P.C.
    Anderson & Bliven P.C. | Scott Anderson
    There is not enough details to give an adequate response. Each state is different in the type of damages an injured victim may receive including but not limited to past medical expenses, future medical expenses, lost wages, future earnings, loss of household services and pain and suffering. Contact an attorney in your state to advise you of your rights.
    Answer Applies to: Montana
    Replied: 5/27/2011
    Raheen Law Group, P.C.
    Raheen Law Group, P.C. | Wali Raheen
    Sorry to hear about your injuries. I strongly suggest you speak with an attorney before you make and a deal with the insurance company. As it's obvious, they are not looking out for your best interest. It is not an easy calculus to come up with a number for injuries; many factors need to be analyzed before estimating the dollar amount. An attorney would be in a better position to come up with a dollar amount (based on experience with prior cases) and negotiate on your behalf. Good luck.
    Answer Applies to: Virginia
    Replied: 5/27/2011
    LT Pepper Law
    LT Pepper Law | Luke T. Pepper
    That is a tough question without looking at your medicals and whether or not you have permanent injuries. You have to look at your lost income if any and whether or not these injuries will require on going medical care that are not covered by insurance.
    Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
    Replied: 5/27/2011
    Ramunno & Ramunno, P.A.
    Ramunno & Ramunno, P.A. | Lawrence A. Ramunno
    Evaluating a claim such as yours, is difficult. You have not provided enough details. you would need to get all the medical records, test results,and reports. You should let a personal injury attorney handle the claim for you.
    Answer Applies to: Delaware
    Replied: 5/27/2011
    Wilson & Hajek, LLC
    Wilson & Hajek, LLC | Eddie W. Wilson
    Your medicals would have to be reviewed before this could be answered.
    Answer Applies to: Virginia
    Replied: 5/27/2011
    Law Office of Russell D. Gray, PC
    Law Office of Russell D. Gray, PC | Russell D. Gray
    You really should have an attorney look at your case before you make any offers to settle. Even though there will be an attorney fee, having an attorney makes sure you present your case correctly and that you ask for enough to adequately compensate you for your injuries. I would be happy to help with this case.
    Answer Applies to: Utah
    Replied: 5/27/2011
    Law Offices of Joseph I. Lipsky, P.A.
    Law Offices of Joseph I. Lipsky, P.A. | Joseph Lipsky
    Without know the extent and permanency of the injuries you suffered in your slip and fall, the amount of your medical bills and whether you missed any time from work, it is impossible to provide an estimate of the value of your case. Given such issues, and others which and experienced personal injury knows how to use to maximize your recovery, we certainly believe you should at least consult with an attorney to discuss your rights before speaking further with the store's insurance company. Most attorneys, including our office, will provide a no cost, no obligation initial consultation.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 5/27/2011
    Kelaher Law Offices, P.A.
    Kelaher Law Offices, P.A. | James P Kelaher
    Take your wage loss, your medical bills and add probably $500-$1,000 to that. Make sure that you have completely recovered and you're back to totally normal before you accept any money, because you'll have to sign a release and you won't be able to go back against them in the future.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 5/27/2011
    Lyle B. Masnikoff and Associates
    Lyle B. Masnikoff and Associates | Lyle B. Masnikoff
    Hire a personal injury attorney so you get a fair amount.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 5/27/2011
    Cody and Gonillo, LLP
    Cody and Gonillo, LLP | Christine Gonilla
    Without knowing more details it is not possible to respond; you should seek the advice of counsel in your area who will ask you for the necessary information.
    Answer Applies to: Connecticut
    Replied: 5/27/2011
    Ewusiak & Roberts, P.A.
    Ewusiak & Roberts, P.A. | Christopher J. Roberts
    Every case is unique and the settlement value of any given case is largely subjective. Ideally, you will obtain full recovery for all expenses you have incurred, including medical and lost wage expenses (including any likely future expenses), and most people seek damages for pain and suffering (non-economic damages). If you settle, you will be required to sign a Release and you will not be able to recover more money later. So it is important that you make sure you are obtaining a just recovery before you sign on the dotted line. Sometimes insurance companies act fairly, but more often than not they will try to take advantage of the fact that you are not represented. You should consider talking to an attorney to make sure you are compensated fairly.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 2/21/2012
    Michael Anthony Wing, P.C.
    Michael Anthony Wing, P.C. | Michael Anthony Wing
    Generally, settlements are based on a multiple of "special damages" which are damages that are easily calculable, like medical bills and lost wages. Also, you need to know the extent and duration of your injury, so don't hurry to settle until you are sure you have made a complete recovery or close to it. You have a two year statute of limitations. If the injury turns out to be permanent, then you want a higher multiple. Also, your health insurer is likely entitled to be paid back, so make sure that is considered in your final analysis. Stay well.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 5/26/2011
    Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC
    Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC | Lacy Fields
    All of your medical and pharmacy bills, lost wages, mileage to/from doctors' visits, and money for pain and suffering. I've heard people cite statistics that, if you get a lawyer your settlement doubles, but of course then you have to give a third to the lawyer. I think you still come out ahead. Worth thinking about.
    Answer Applies to: Missouri
    Replied: 5/26/2011
    David F. Stoddard
    David F. Stoddard | David F. Stoddard
    It depends on whether your injury is healed. If it is completely healed, you should ask for whatever it costs to cover your medical bills, any lost wages you have, if any, and a little extra for pain and suffering. How much extra is hard to say. I would ask for twice the amount of your medical bills as pain and suffering. I do not think they will pay it, but I always ask for more than I think they'll pay, then haggle until I get their top figure. Unfortunately, if you do not file suit, often they will not even pay the full amount of your medical costs. If you are not fully healed, do not settle yet. Wait until you are fully healed and know how much all of your bills will be. If your injury appears to be permanent, you should probably et a lawyer and not try to settle it yourself.
    Answer Applies to: South Carolina
    Replied: 5/26/2011
    Garruto & Calabria, LLC
    Garruto & Calabria, LLC | Andrew F. Garruto
    If this was a recent incident, then it is too early to know if you're left with a permanent injury and how much more treatment you will need - which means it is too early to know what your damages are, therefore it is premature to settle your claim. If this was not a recent incident, then there are many other factors to be considered, such as: how much (if any) income/work did you lose, how much did you pay for medical bills, and any other losses so far? In my experience defendants/insurance companies try to reach you early and try to settle a claim for a very small sum in exchange for a release preventing any further claims. They do this to avoid higher payouts for additional damages before they accumulate (lost wages, impaired wages such as lost overtime and vacation time and sick time, medical expenses for more treatment including surgeries, etc.). Contact a personal injury attorney in your jurisdiction for a consultation before you communicate any further with them.
    Answer Applies to: New Jersey
    Replied: 5/26/2011
    Howard W. Collins, Attorney at Law
    Howard W. Collins, Attorney at Law | Howard W. Collins
    Did you seek treatment? How much was spent on medical treatment? Did you lose any wages from the accident? Will you need future treatment? Has your Dr. provided you with a written evaluation? So many questions, but without the answer, giving you an idea of value is very difficult. Call to discuss.
    Answer Applies to: Oregon
    Replied: 5/26/2011
    Shulman DuBois LLC
    Shulman DuBois LLC | Joshua Shulman
    Short answer: There's no way to know without seeing your medical records and knowing what county it happened in, and a bunch of other information. With what you've said in this email, I can't even give you a ballpark. Long answer (from our website) How Much is My Case Worth? To preface this section, we should make it explicitly clear that the only people who know the answer to this question are the members of a jury. We don't know how much your case is worth. The judge doesn't know. The insurance adjuster certainly doesn't know. The way we estimate what a case is worth is by figuring out what a jury is likely to do in a given case. And this can never be more than an estimate. Be wary of any lawyer who tries to tell you what your case is worth during your first phone call or meeting. Until your lawyer has reviewed all of your medical records, seen photos of your car, spoken to witnesses, read the police reports, etc, he/she will have no idea what your case is worth. Accurate estimates require full information. That said, there are two basic kinds of "damages" you can recover for a personal injury case in Oregon: Economic Damages and Noneconomic Damages. In the past, these were called "General Damages" and "Special Damages," respectively, but the proper terms are Economic and Noneconomic. Economic Damages is compensation for any money you've lost due to the collision. This includes: money to repair your car (or the full value of the car if it was totaled); money to pay for medical bills; money to pay for household services that you could not do because of your injuries; lost income due to injuries that prevented you from working; and money for future economic losses. Noneconomic Damages means money for injuries that are not as easily given a numerical value. Some examples are: pain, humiliation, mental suffering, emotional distress, inconvenience, interference with normal activities, damage to a person's reputation, aggravation to a previous injury Punitive Damages. In the right case, it can make sense to try to get punitive damages, but most injured people are better off seeking only Economic and Noneconomic Damages. In Oregon, the State takes 60% of any Punitive Damages. Then your lawyer will typically take 20%, leaving you with only 20%, which is then taxable. In the end, an injured person usually only ends up with about 10-15% of punitive damages. When we estimate what a case is worth, we use our experience and knowledge to try to predict what a jury would do with your case. We will only make this estimate after we have all of the relevant information. At that time, we will tell you the probable value that we believe your case has.
    Answer Applies to: Oregon
    Replied: 5/26/2011
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 4 5 6 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney