How much money does it take to file for my mother? 8 Answers as of August 18, 2011

I am a us citizen, want to start filing for my mom who is in Jamaica. I want her to come to America. How many years do I have to work for and how much do I have to earn in order to file for her?

The Ghosh Law Group
The Ghosh Law Group | Amy Maitrayee Ghosh
You need to be US Citizen. Make atleast $3k/month for the past 3 years. And, the filing fee is 4355.
Depending on your family size you must make at least 125% of the Poverty guidelines. If you are a single person then family of two - you plus Mom and the total is $18, 387. If you have a spouse and two children then family of 5 = $$32,712.
In order to meet the affidavit of support amount, you must make 125% of the poverty guidelines or else have a joint sponsor who does. These alter every year so you will want to google search for the 2011 chart.
441 Legal Group, Inc.
441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
The cost varies depending on how you go about it. The filing fees will run about $900. But depending on your household size your income needs to be at a certain level or you may need a co-sponsor.
Law Offices Colyn B. Desatnik
Law Offices Colyn B. Desatnik | Colyn B. Desatnik
You need to show a tax return that indicates enough money to support her until she becomes a citizen. The amount depends on how many children you have. If it is just you, about $15,000 per year will be enough. If you have only just begun employment, a letter from your employer stating your earnings will suffice.
    As a USC, you may apply for your mother. It takes approximately a year for her to come here. You should sign an affidavit of support for her and your income must be enough. See instructions for form I-864 for income level.
    Law Office of Jaclyn Miller
    Law Office of Jaclyn Miller | Jaclyn Miller
    If you do not earn enough money you can just get a co-sponsor for the affidavit of support. If you give me a call perhaps we can discuss this further.
    The income requirement for the affidavit of support depends on your family size. Check the I-864P for the exact amount at www.USCIS.gov.