How much money can I get from my personal injury? 45 Answers as of July 08, 2013

I fell in a supermarket and I got L2,L3 herniated discs,my back did not respond to therapy. I have chronic back pain. How much money can I get from my injury?

The Law Office of Josh Lamborn, P.C.
The Law Office of Josh Lamborn, P.C. | Josh Lamborn
There is no good way to estimate how much money one can get from a lawsuit without knowing all of the facts of the case and actually meeting with the client. How much a case is worth is not determined just by the injury. You need to take into account all of the variables involved in the case, such as why you fell, previous injuries to the injured area, what type of therapy you received, whether you saw an MD or a chiropractor, what other treatment options are available, are you a candidate for surgery, whether you will make a presentable, articulate plaintiff, etc. There is no formula for a personal injury case. Seek the advice of an attorney and give that attorney all of the facts of your case. The attorney may be able to give you an idea of the range you might expect to get on a settlement based on his or her past experience, maybe not, depending on the case.
Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC
Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC | Lacy Fields
That depends on about 100 other factors. The best thing to do is talk to a few different attorneys. Most of us offer free consultations. If you would like a consultation (phone or in person) with my office, please feel free to call us.
David Hoines Law
David Hoines Law | David Hoines
depends on many factors: eg, your age, work history, lost earnings, etc
Timothy Jones, Attorney at Law
Timothy Jones, Attorney at Law | Timothy Jones
The end result will depend upon the facts of your case. Before an attorney can give an informed opinion on the value of a case, we must know the facts. Specifically, we must understand how and why you fell. We must also know the amount of your wage loss and medical bills. It is important to review your medical records. It is also helpful to discuss your condition with the treating physician to better understand future medical costs and any permanent disability. Once all of this information is assembled, then an informed opinion can be given.
ROWE LAW FIRM
ROWE LAW FIRM | Jeffrey S. Wittenbrink
This question requires a detailed analysis of the facts and your particular injury, and how the injury was obtained. For some kinds of falls, no money would be awarded whatsoever. You should not choose an attorney based upon representations of which would "get the most money" because any attorney that told you a guaranteed sum would not be telling the truth. Your attorney would base any analysis upon previous awards, which may or may not correspond to the facts in your case. You should consult an attorney about your case.
    The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC
    The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC | Stephen R. Chesley
    If you would like to discuss this matter further. The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC has been protecting the injured for over 28 years and pride ourselves on the personal attention and superb representation in personal injury and malpractice cases we provide to our clients. We are a full-service Personal Injury law firm providing high-quality legal services. The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC is strongly motivated to protect the rights of each injured victim and strive for getting them the compensation they deserve. Our clients are kept abreast of the status of their case and are given personalized, compassionate and diligent representation. Please contact this office at your earliest convenience so that we may assist you and answer any of your questions with regard your accident. THE LAW OFFICES OF STEPHEN R. CHESLEY LLC 16 Court Street Brooklyn, New York 11241 718 522-3055 . In a message dated 7/27/2011 3:55:12 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, questions@lawqa.com writes: ANSWER A QUESTION THAT WILL BE DISPLAYED ON NEW YORK PERSONAL INJURY WEBSITES ON THE LAWQA NETWORK. LAW AREA: PERSONAL INJURY STATE: NEW YORK ID:28039 Question: How much money can I get from my personal injury? Question Detail: I fell in a supermarket and I got L2,L3 herniated discs,my back did not respond to therapy. I have chronic back pain. How much money can I get from my injury? *********************************** To answer this question, please just reply to this email. The original content and subject should not be modified, otherwise your answer will not be valid.
    Law Offices of Earl K. Straight
    Law Offices of Earl K. Straight | Earl K. Straight
    That is an impossible question to answer with the facts presented. First off has the supermarket accepted liability, have they admitted responsibility for the accident? If not, they will deny your claim and refuse to pay anything. You would then have to file a lawsuit and get a favorable verdict from a judge or jury. If they have accepted liability, how much your claim is worth depends on the amount of medical bills, length of treatment, future prognosis, and many other factors. Every case is different. Your attorney will make a demand which the supermarket will think is way too high, and the supermarket will make an offer which you will think is way too low. Hopefully, a negotiated compromise can be worked out. If not, youre back to filing a lawsuit.
    Wilson & Hajek, LLC
    Wilson & Hajek, LLC | Eddie W. Wilson
    You need to hire a lawyer to review you medical information, including any future disability ratings. Only that, plus a review of the liability can lead to an answer.
    Fox Law Firm LLC
    Fox Law Firm LLC | Tina Fox
    If you did not get any theraphy and seek any treatment, there is no way of showing you had pain and suffering.
    Falling is not the key. Falling because of store negligence is required. Assuming you can prove fault the value of your claim would be based on what your injuries are, what doctors you have seen and what they say, whether they think you have a permanent injury, what your bills are, and whether there is any lost wages. Discuss all this with your attorney. He can guide you and value the claim.
    Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator
    Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator | Bernard Huff
    Consult with a local plaintiff's accident and/or a personal injury attorney to determine all ofthe compensation you are entitled for your injuries and inconvenience.
    Anyone who would presume to give you a dollar figure from reading two sentances would be doing you a disservice. It depends on the conditions that caused you to fall, the available evidence, credibiltiy of witnesses, the course of medical treatment, the extent of the herniations, the long-term prospects, your age, your medical history and physical condition, loss of income and many other factors. Your lawyer needs to do a full work-up of all of these factors in order to even begin to make a legitimate evaluation.
    You have way to little information for me to begin answering your question. I can give you some of the factors that should be considered in determining how much you might get. The first question is whether you can present enough evidence for the Supermarket to be liable. In most slip and fall cases, your cannot. You have to show that there was a dangerous condition, usually some slippery substance on the floor, and that the store either placed it on the floor, or knew about it and failed to do anything about it having had sufficient opportunity to put up warnings, or clean it up. In most cases, you have no evidence of how the substance got on the floor, how long it had been there, and whether any employees knew about it. The best case is where the store placed the substance on the floor, such as moping the floor. If there is liability, how much it is worth depends on how old you are (a permanent injury to a young person is usually worth more than an injury to an old person), whether you had any back problems before the accident, whether the injury will affect your ability to work in the future, how the injury will affect your daily activities in the future, and what kind of pain will you suffer in the future.
    LT Pepper Law
    LT Pepper Law | Luke T. Pepper
    You have 2 years from the date of the injury to file a claim. First you should continue treatment and consult with other doctors to determine if you have other treatment options. You should consult with a lawyer to determine whether there is a case. I hope you feel better real soon and I am sorry you hurt yourself.
    Allen Murphy Law
    Allen Murphy Law | W. Riley Allen
    It's hard to tell from this limited amount of information. Herniated disks are serious, but you need to provide a whole lot more information than this. It depends in Florida on what you fell on, how long it was present, what notice the owner had, what your bills are, what your job is, etc.
    Law Office of Mark J. Leonardo
    Law Office of Mark J. Leonardo | Mark Leonardo
    No one can answer this question based on the information you provided. Every personal injury case has two components: (1) liability and (2) damages. Slip and fall cases are extremely difficult cases and are disfavored under the law. If it is in a supermarket you have to show there was a dangerous condition, and that it existed long enough for the store to have discovered it and then not taken care of it in a timely fashion. If someone dropped their coke onto the store floor and you walked around the corner and fell 10 seconds later, the store will not be liable. If the liquid was on the floor for more than 3 minutes, and you can prove that, you can probably establish liability. There are other circumstances regarding this and an experienced attorney should be able to determine under your facts if liability can be established. As for damages, you were obviously injured in a bad way. The value of that injury is based on many factors your age, the time to heal, whether surgery will be required or if it will be a lifelong chronic injury. The medical bills also play a major function as well as the lost income from missing work for treatment, surgery and physical therapy. Without that information, no attorney can give you a fair assessment as to value.
    Kirshner & Groff
    Kirshner & Groff | Richard M. Kirshner
    Depends on mAny factors. Speak to a lawyer
    Law Office of Travis Prestwich, PC
    Law Office of Travis Prestwich, PC | Travis Prestwich
    The value of your case depends on whether you had surgery or not and, in your specific case, how clear it is whether the supermarket was negligent in causing your fall.
    Lyle B. Masnikoff and Associates
    Lyle B. Masnikoff and Associates | Lyle B. Masnikoff
    Depends on what your Drs say you may need in future. How it has affetced you? Pain and suffering etc
    Gary Moore, Attorney at Law
    Gary Moore, Attorney at Law | Gary Moore
    How much you can get depends on your age, whether your injuries are permanent and whether your injuries cause you significant disability and loss wages going into the future. The calculation of the value of your case requires all this information to answer your question accurately. Gary Moore
    Without surgery those kinds of cases are not worth that much. Herniated disks, standing alone, are considered "soft tissue" injuries because they don't involve a broken bone. But, once surgery is involved, then they are looked on much more seriously. They can become very valuable cases. I suggest that you hire a lawyer. Don't deal with the supermarket's representatives directly. Don't even speak to them. Get yourself a lawyer.
    The Lucky Law Firm, PLC
    The Lucky Law Firm, PLC | Robert Morrison Lucky
    Thanks for your inquiry. The value of your case depends on various things. It is impossible for me to give you any advise on your case, much less the value of your case without knowing more information. Did you have any lower back problems before the accident? Is the store 100% responsible for your fall? What are your past medical expenses? What are your future medical expenses? Will you be able to return to work? I or someone in my office will be more than happy to discuss your case with you to see if this is something with which we can assist you. Please contact us today for a free consultation.
    It really depends on what lawyer you have, who is defending the case, the Court you are in, the Judge, etc.
    C Meryl Murphy, Attorney-at-Law, LLC
    C Meryl Murphy, Attorney-at-Law, LLC | Candace M Murphy
    Falling in a Supermarket does not guarantee payment of any amount. As your attorney has probably mentioned to you, nothing is guaranteed in legal matters. Additionally, there is no hard and fast rule on how much, if any, you will be paid. Providing negligence is proven, the money you will receive for your fall will depend on a myriad of factors which may include: your injuries sustained as a result of the accident, your treatment received (i.e. doctor's visits, surgeries, et.), amount of time lost from work, and a host of other considerations that go into determining how much you will be paid. Please keep in mind that the opposing side has their own way of evaluating your claim and assigning their own value. Unfortunately, there is no hard and fast rule to calculate how much money you will receive from this accident. Thank you.
    Vincent J. Bernabei LLC
    Vincent J. Bernabei LLC | Vincent J. Bernabei
    You should get as much money as possible for your serious, life altering injuries. To estimate the value of your claim, a thorough review of your case is necessary. You should contact an attorney right away.
    Miller & Harrison, LLC
    Miller & Harrison, LLC | David Harrison
    Slip & Fall cases are very difficult cases to pursue, but you need to talk to a lawyer in your geographic area familiar with those types of cases (personal injury law). To determine what it is worth, is a complex process.
    Rothstein Law PLLC
    Rothstein Law PLLC | Eric Rothstein
    It depends on what caused your fall and if the supermarket had actual or constructive notice of it.
    Wilson & Hajek,LLC, a personal injury law firm
    Wilson & Hajek,LLC, a personal injury law firm | Francis Hajek
    There are no limits on the amount that can be awarded for damages in a negligence case under Virginia law. Of course, to receive a damages award in a personal injury case, you first have to prove your case and hope the jury decides on a fair award. The largest Virginia jury verdict that I have obtained for negligent conduct is $60 million. Fortunately, the defendant had a lot of insurance. In addition, the injuries were significant and our life care plan required many millions of dollars. But, every jury is different and judges have the power to reduce the amount a jury awards.
    Law Office of Russell D. Gray, PC
    Law Office of Russell D. Gray, PC | Russell D. Gray
    A slip and fall in a supermarket can be a very complicated case. Before the value of your case can be determined, we would need to investigate to find out whether the store was negligent. You need an attorney to help you or the other side will do everything they can to prevent you from receiving anything.
    D'Amore Law Group
    D'Amore Law Group | Emily Terriquez
    How much you are able to recover depends on the circumstances of your fall. In order to recover for injuries, you must be able to prove that the injuries were caused by the negligence of someone else (here the supermarket). If you can show it was their fault, then you are entitled to recover economic damages (medical bills and other expenses) and noneconomic damages (what we think of as pain and suffering). The amount you are able to recover is related to the severity of your injury and the expected outcome.
    Law Office of Joseph Lamy
    Law Office of Joseph Lamy | Joseph Lamy
    Determining the value of your claim is complex and I would need much more information to accurately answer this question. I would need to know the extent of your treatment and the amount of your medical bills as well as your lost wages. I would need to know the condition of your back prior to the fall. Insurance companies are hesitant to accept that a disc herniation is related to an accident and you will need an experienced personal injury attorney to prove the causal relationship between the fall and your disc herniation. If you do not already have an attorney, I absolutely recommend that you hire one because you will never get fair value for your claim if negotiating directly with the insurance company. I would be happy to speak with you in greater detail if you like. Best of luck.
    Fears & Nachawati Law Firm
    Fears & Nachawati Law Firm | C. Bryan Fears
    Your recovery will be based on a number of factors including liability and medical bills.
    Law Offices of John J. Ferry, Jr.
    Law Offices of John J. Ferry, Jr. | John J. Ferry, Jr.
    There's not enough information here to value your case. First, you need to show that the supermarket was negligent in some way. The mere fact that you fell on their property is not sufficient to create liability. If you can show negligence, the settlement negotiations will be based on what each side thinks a jury would ultimately award. That analysis will vary greatly based on things like what county you are in, whether you lost work, how much your lost income will be, how many times you sought treatment, the nature of the treatment, any prior medical issues, your long term prognosis, etc.
    Joel H. Schwartz, P.C.
    Joel H. Schwartz, P.C. | Steven A. Schwartz
    Unfortunately, your question is impossible to answer without more details. You clearly have a serious injury, which potentially has a good deal of value in terms of compensation. However, I do not know any details about the fall. For example, if you fell on spilled milk that had just been spilled 20 seconds before, I would say there is no case at all. In order to be successful, you must show that the supermarket was responsible for the fall. In the case of the spilled milk, if one could show that the milk was on the floor for two hours, then I would argue that the store should have had time to discover the spill and should have cleaned it up. It all comes down to the store making reasonable efforts to keep the facility safe.
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates | Barry Rabovsky
    You may have a case, based upon the information that you have supplied.
    Ewusiak & Roberts, P.A.
    Ewusiak & Roberts, P.A. | Christopher J. Roberts
    Unfortunately, I cannot answer your question without a lot of additional information. The amount of a fair settlement or an estimated/likely jury verdict involve a lot of variables including: 1) how clear is the liability picture? Not all slip and falls result in favorable settlements or verdicts. It is necessary to establish negligence on the part of the business owner. The clearer the fault of the business owner, the higher than potential case value; 2) the dollar amount of your past and future anticipated medical expenses; 3) the dollar amount of your past lost wages and potential future lost wages/earning capacity; 4) any other case-specific factors that may affect either the likely outcome (win or loss) and case value. Most lawyers such as myself will give you a free initial consultation with no obligation. I suggest you talk to a lawyer before you attempt to resolve the matter yourself. Good luck.
    Patrick M Lamar Attorney
    Patrick M Lamar Attorney | Patrick M Lamar
    It depends on the liability of the store. I cannot answer this without much more information.
    Law Offices of Steven R. Kuhn & Associates
    Law Offices of Steven R. Kuhn & Associates | Steven R. Kuhn
    It depends on many factors. 1st you have to prove negligence on the part of the market. Next you need to look at the total medical bills incurred, any loss of earnings and the cost of future medical care. You also have to look at your age, type of work and several other factors.
    You should discuss this with your personal injury attorney. He or she should and would necessarily have all of the particulars that you do not share.
    Harris Personal Injury Lawyer
    Harris Personal Injury Lawyer | Philip C. Alexander
    A personal injury attorney will never be able to tell you the outcome of a settlement or jury award at the commencement of a case. Each case and facts are different, not to mention the many different companies/adjusters that handle the claims. Because this will be labeled "soft-tissue" as there are no broken bones, that is another issue that the supermarket will have a problem with. An injury award would also depend on other factors, such as whether you had any pre-existing back issues. Slip/falls also have a different standard of negligence that you would have to prove, much different from an auto accident. We have had success with these types of cases.
12 3 4 5 6 7 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney