How much money am I liable for if my 20 year old son who is away at college gets in an accident and I'm on the title? 1 Answers as of October 06, 2016

My 20 year old son has his own auto insurance policy and is away at college as a full-time student. We pay tuition and claim him as dependent on taxes. If he gets into an accident, are we liable as the parents? Is there a cap for the state? Does our liability change whether he is on our auto policy or if he has his own or whether the title is in his name or ours?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Ofices of Edwin K. Niles | Edwin K. Niles
If you are shown as owner, you could be liable for up to $15,000 for one claimant or $30,000 for more than one. If you are not an owner of his car, you are not liable. The driver's policy is usually considered primary, so if son is insured you are covered. If you trust your son to keep his insurance in effect, you can drop yours, or you an transfer title to him. There seems to be no point in maintaining two policies.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 10/6/2016
Click to View More Answers: