How much jail time for using a stolen credit card? 7 Answers as of February 01, 2013

My boyfriend stole multiple credit cards and used them to buy 300$ to 400$ worth of cigarettes and gas. How much jail time is he looking at?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
This depends on the exact charges, the facts, and his prior record.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 2/1/2013
Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
Cynthia Henley, Lawyer | Cynthia Henley
Depends on how he is charged. He can be charged with each time he used the cards, or he could be charged with theft for a total. It also depends on his criminal history. He is looking at prison, not jail time.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 1/31/2013
Mari Morrison Attorney at Law | Mari Morrison
Depends on whether he has any priors. If not, he probably would get probation.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 1/30/2013
William L. Welch, III Attorney | William L. Welch, III
Ultimately, sentencing depends on the seriousness of the offense, the defendant's prior record, mitigation, allocution, and the judge. Charge papers should indicate the maximums. In federal court aggravated identity theft carries a mandatory two years, which must run consecutively to any of the sentence.
Answer Applies to: Maryland
Replied: 1/30/2013
Law office of Robert D. Scott | Robert Scott
Two years or more incarceration.
Answer Applies to: Maryland
Replied: 1/30/2013
    Kevin H Pate
    Kevin H Pate | Kevin H Pate
    He is facing as little as zero time to quite a bit of time. It's unclear whether he took several cards from one wallet or the several cards were taken at separate times from separate wallets. This impacts the number of counts he may face. Each use of a card can also be filed as a separate charge. And it is possible, though the facts are presently provided, that other charges could be laid? Your boyfriend should seek advice on his specific circumstances from a qualified criminal defense attorney at his first opportunity. If he cannot afford counsel and has already been charged, he can seek to have the court appoint counsel for him.
    Answer Applies to: Oklahoma
    Replied: 1/30/2013
    Rusty Messer | Rusty Messer
    It really depends. Does he have any priors? If this is his first offense he may be able to work a deal where he pays restitution in exchange for a dismissal.
    Answer Applies to: Louisiana
    Replied: 1/29/2013
Click to View More Answers: