How much income do I need to have in order to petition my sister, my brother, and my mom? 14 Answers as of June 28, 2013

I am a lawful permanent resident and about to apply for US naturalization this September. My question is how much income I need to have in order to petition my sister, my brother, and my mom? I am currently looking for a second job. Do I need a joint sponsor, how do I do that process? And how long would it take to get them?

Law Offices of Brian D. Lerner, A PC
Law Offices of Brian D. Lerner, A PC | Brian David Lerner
Income is irrelevant for Naturalization.
Havens & Lichtenberg PLLC
Havens & Lichtenberg PLLC | Michael Lichtenberg
The income you need to show depends on the size of your own family: if you are single, then the "persons in family" number will be 4 (you+3 intended immigrants); if you have a wife and 2 dependent children, the number is 7, etc. For 4 persons, the income has to be over $28,813; for 5 - over $33, 763; for 6 - over $38,713; for 7 - over $43,663; for 8 - over $48,613, and so on. If you are married, your wife's income can be added to satisfy the standard; if you father or brother or uncle lives with you, his income can be counted, too; but you cannot add the income of your roommate. If your own income is not enough, you will need a co-sponsor. Any citizen or an LPR can be a co-sponsor, so long as his or her income is independently sufficient to satisfy the standard; "independently sufficient" means that you cannot add your income and the co-sponsor's income together, co-sponsor's income alone must be enough. As an example, let's say you are single and make $25000 a year; it is not enough to sponsor your mother and your brother and sister. Your friend agrees to help; he has a wife and 1 child; he can become a co-sponsor if he makes more than $38, 716. You might consider filing a petition only for your mother, especially because you cannot file for your brother and sister until you become a citizen. Processing of the immigrant petitions will take about 1 year. If, meanwhile, you become a citizen, as soon as the visa petitions are approved, your mother will be able to make a visa appointment at the U.S. Consulate, and come to the U.S. right away. Your brother and sister, however, will have to wait, because there are only 65000 immigrant visas given each year to brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens. So, even though the petitions for your brother and sister would be approved, the actual visas will not be issued for about 12 years (16 years if your brother and sister are citizens of Mexico, 23 years if they are citizens of the Philippines). If you file for your mother only, and she receives her immigrant visa, comes to the US and becomes an LPR, and your brother and sister are *not married* - your mother can petition for her children, with you as a co-sponsor (if your brother and sister are married, your mother would have to become a citizen before she can petition for them) If your brother and sister will be under 21 at the time of filing of the petitions by their mother, they will be in F2A category, and will receive their visas in about 2.5 - 3 years; if they are older, they will fall into F2B category and wait about 8 years (20 years if from Mexico, 19 years if from the Philippines). Since all these waiting times sound horrible, you might want to discuss the case with an immigration attorney to see what other ways of bringing your brother and sister to the U.S. might be possible under the law.
Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C.
Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C. | David Nabow Soloway
Best wishes with your naturalization petition in September. As you probably know, your current earnings will not be relevant to qualifying for naturalization, but they will be for petitioning for your siblings and mother. Upon being naturalized, you may be able to file both an Application for Relative Alien and an Application for Adjustment of Status for your mother; if you are single and without children, you financially should qualify without a joint sponsor if your current income is $18,912. You also may be able to file an Application for Relative Alien for your brother and sister, although you will be unable to file an Application for Adjustment of Status for either of them until their "Priority Date" becomes current - a process that could take 10-15 years or more, and your then-current income will become relevant at that time. Here is a link to Form I-864P showing income requirements: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf As you can see, petitioning for siblings can take so long that it rarely is a good immigration strategy, and it may be worthwhile exploring other immigration-related possibilities. The selection and sequence of steps that might be taken for your mother and for your siblings will depend upon information that was not supplied in your question, including whether those family members currently are in the U.S., how they may have entered the U.S., what their current immigration status is, etc. It would be wise to review all of the details with an immigration attorney in order to determine eligibilities, options and strategies. Additionally, it may be wise to engage an immigration attorney for your naturalization process to assure that it is accomplished without delays and other problems that can be caused by insufficient documentation or issues with understanding and answering the questions on the forms (and in the interview/examination).
The income is dependent on the size of your household (if you're married with children) coupled with the three family members (about $33,000 for a household of five). You will be able to petition for them all once you have been naturalized, though your sister will have to wait at least 11 to 14 years or even longer, as a 4th priority preference applicant, to be able to apply for a green card, after your initial petition is approved.
Depending on the size of your household, you would probably need an annual salary of at least $27,936.00. I strongly suggest that you contact an experienced immigration attorney for a face-to-face consultation and give him/her all of the facts surrounding your case. He/she would then be in a better position to analyze you case and advise you of your options, including whether or not you will need a joint sponsor.
    Go to USCIS.gov and click on forms and find Form I-864P. It is self explanatory.
    Law Office of Rebecca White
    Law Office of Rebecca White | Rebecca White
    You can file immigrant visa petitions for your mother and brother and sister, but your mother will be the only immediate relative. There will be a significant wait time for your brother and sister for a priority date to become available. You can review the State Department Visa Bulletin to get an idea of wait times, but it may be around a decade. You may want to explore other options for your siblings. As for income, that will depend upon your family size. You will typically need 125 percent of the set poverty level for your family size. This does not need to be shown during the initial filing of the immigrant visas, but prior to issuance of permanent residence.
    Law Office of Grady G Gauthier | Grady G Gauthier
    You need 125% of the poverty level for the amount of dependents you have, meaning the family members you sponsor will be considered dependents. So for a family of four the poverty level for 48 contiguous states is $23,050. Multiply this by 125% and you get about $28,813 as the required amount for a family of four. The I-130 petition which you will need to file for each family member takes about 5 months to adjudicate and the rest of the process and timeline is very dependent on the location of your relatives, any previous immigration or criminal violations, etc. I am available for a consultation to discuss further as needed.
    If you are living on your own, you need about $19,000/year annual income to be able to sponsor your mother without a joint sponsor. For you to petition for your brother and sister, the process will take about 10-12 years and you will not need to show any proof of sponsorship ability until about that time, when they would be getting ready to get their visas. The process of petitioning one's brother/sister is a very long one.
    Mayo Mallette PLLC
    Mayo Mallette PLLC | Thomas J. Rosser
    You will need to wait to petition for your mother and your siblings until you have completed the naturalization process and actually become a US citizen since lawful permanent residents under the established family-sponsored preferences can only petition for their spouses, minor children, and unmarried adult sons and daughters under the present system. At that time, your mother (as an "Immediate Relative") will have the availability of an immigrant visa without a backlog and multi-year wait for same. Your brother and sister, however, will be subject to a lengthy multi-year wait in classification F4 (based upon nationality and priority dates established once you have filed initial petitions for them). You will need to have income equal or greater than 125% of the poverty tables for the size of family which you currently support. You should consult and work with an experienced immigration attorney to help you with the various processes which are both lengthy and complicated.
    You can find the current immigration requirement on Form I-864P.
    Law Office of Pho Ethan Tran PLLC
    Law Office of Pho Ethan Tran PLLC | Pho Ethan Tran
    How many dependents did you list on your tax return?
    Seifert Law Offices | Lisa Ellen Seifert
    You do not need any level of income to make a petition for someone. Months or years later you may have to show a level of income at the poverty guidelines for the family size. Since the priority date wait is so long (over 15 years) for siblings, you do not need to calculate this at all. To use a joint sponsor, just ask someone, and have them look at the form. (I-864) The instructions are all there. These questions are good, and indicate that you would get value from a consultation with an immigration lawyer.
    The Law Office of Khoa D Bui
    The Law Office of Khoa D Bui | Khoa D Bui
    To qualify, your income must be 125% of the federal poverty guidelines.