How much English do you need to speak to qualify for a green card? 4 Answers as of November 10, 2010

My brother wants to immigrate to the United States from Mexico but does not speak any English. I know lots of people who have very low levels of English and I was wondering what his level of English needs to be in order to qualify for a green card.

No, English is not a requirement to get a green card, typically, unless English is required for employment and one is getting a green card on the basis of employment.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any additional questions or if I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.
You do not have to know English at all to obtain a green card, for permanent legal residency (LPR), You do have to pass an English proficiency exam to obtain U.S. citizenship, which comes after 5 years as an LPR (3 years if you obtained your LPR through a spouse). If your brother and yourself would like assistance with preparation of his application for a green card, by all means call or e-mail me to set up an in-person or phone consultation. Best to you and your brother.
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
There is no English requirements for the green card. However, there is a long waiting period for brother to brother immigration petition.