How much does it cost to hire a DUI lawyer? 60 Answers as of June 23, 2013

This is my first time to be caught drunk driving. I am worried that I will get convicted. How much does it cost to hire a DUI lawyer? Are there any pro bono lawyers for DUI cases? I am still a student and have limited source of cash.

Request a court appointed lawyer if you qualify. There is no downside. That is what they are for.
Each attorney will set the fee he thinks his services are worth. You should make a few calls to see what the average rate for a first DUI is in your area. Sometimes there are attorneys who will give a reduced rate or pro-bono services. If not, then you may qualify to have a court appointed attorney.
It depends upon the attorney and the facts of your case. For a private attorney, you are looking at a minimum of $1500. If it were to go to trial, you could spend 4-5 times that amount or more. Attorneys charge different rates. My advice, interview a few.
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law | Gregory Casale
If you cannot afford an attorney, the court will appoint one to represent you. However, you do not get to choose who. Typically in life, you get what you pay for and law is no different than other things. If you can afford a private lawyer, by all means hire one. If not, a court appointed lawyer is better than no lawyer.
Robert Mortland
Robert Mortland | Law Office of Robert Mortland
DUI lawyers can charge anywhere between $950 and $5,000.
    They are serious cases and you need the best local attorney you can afford. Prices usually range from 700-1200 depending on experience, etc.
    Aaron Black Law
    Aaron Black Law | Aaron Black
    In Arizona, If you cannot afford a lawyer a public defender will be appointed to represent you since you are facing mandatory jail time if convicted.
    There is no set price for hiring an attorney for a DUI. Each attorney will base his fees on his experiences as well as the seriousness of the case.
    Law Office of Michael R. Garber
    Law Office of Michael R. Garber | Michael R. Garber
    Every lawyer sets his own fee. Many charge $1500 for a 1st offense. Some charge more. You can ask for a court appointed attorney to represent you if you have no moeny.
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer | Cynthia Henley
    If you are indigent and qualify, a lawyer will be appointed to represent you Lawyers do not generally handle DWI cases pro bono, and especially on the basis that someone is a student.? Get a loan from your parents or other source. You could get up to 1 year in jail and have your license suspended if you are convicted. Call 3 to 5 lawyers in your area and discuss the situation then make an appointment with at least two to determine whom to hire. Discuss fees at least somewhat on the phone.
    The price depends on where in Michigan you live the attorney's fees vary greatly, start calling around.
    Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC
    Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC | Jacob Peter Sartz IV
    You have a right to court-appointed counsel if you cannot afford to retain a lawyer and if you meet the eligibility criteria. Prices for retained lawyers vary depending on the court, market, and other factors. Most attorneys provide free initial consultations. I'd advise you to make a few phone calls and see what you can work out; otherwise, you always have a right to ask the court to appoint you a lawyer if you are eligible for assistance.
    It depends on where your case is before I can guess at an average attorney fee. You can call around for someone who will work for free, however, you may find that you get what you pay for in that world. I would suggest that you contact an attorney near the Court where you are charged.
    Dungan, Lady, Kirkpatrick & Dungan PLLC | Michael Dungan
    Attorney fees vary widely, to some extent, you get what you pay for. You will like qualify for a court appointed lawyer.
    The only DUI pro bono lawyers I know of are ones assigned by the court to indigent defendants.
    Law Offices of Kate Mesic, PA
    Law Offices of Kate Mesic, PA | Kate L. Mesic
    If you don't have money for a lawyer, you can ask for the appointment of the public defender next time you are in court. There is an application fee which is nominal. Make sure not to miss your next court date, and when your name is called, ask the Judge for a Public Defender.
    Salladay Law Office | Lance Salladay
    In some instances it is possible to qualify for a public defender if you have very limited resources. To hire a lawyer for a DUI will generally depend on the circumstances. If the facts of the case make a successful trial effort very unlikely, which is frequently the case, then the cost would generally run between $500-$750, depending on time. If a trial is involved the cost can be significantly higher.
    The rate for a good DUI attorney varies with the person. I charge in the area of $1000 dollars and do offer payment plans.
    If you cannot afford an attorney, the court will appoint one for you. There is no set fee and fees will vary amoung attorneys. You should contact various attorneys and inquire of how much they charge.
    Law Office of Thomas A. Medford, Jr., PC
    Law Office of Thomas A. Medford, Jr., PC | Thomas A. Medford, Jr.
    Fees for a defense can range from $1,500 to $3,000. You may qualify for an attorney at government expense depending on your financial status. That determinationwill be made at the court.
    Answer Applies to: District of Columbia
    The Law Office of Kevin O'Grady
    The Law Office of Kevin O'Grady | Kevin O'Grady
    Attorney fees vary of course. Typically a good DUI defense attorney will cost anywhere from $5,000- $10,000. If you find attorneys that only charge $2000 or less, ascertain if that includes fighting the case and going through all the motions and trial, or just pleading guilty to the charge. There may be other costs as well including experts and subpoenas and the like.
    Answer Applies to: Hawaii
    If you can't afford an attorney you can get the Public Defender. Although they are extremely busy, they are also good and experienced attorneys. If you make a little too much for the PD, there are usually near-indigent panels with less expensive attorneys. Our office charges $2K for a first DUI which is about the norm for the industry.
    McClendon Owens Melia McBreen LLP
    McClendon Owens Melia McBreen LLP | Richard L. McBreen III
    The case could cost you anywhere from $750-$5000. It's impossible to say because each lawyer will charge differently based on experience. You should simply call around until you find someone you can afford and that you feel comfortable with. There are no pro bono DUII attorneys because the state will appoint an attorney for you if you can't afford one.
    The cost of a lawyer varies greatly depending on the lawyer, the facts of the case, the location and more. Shop around. The Public Defender is a good back up if you cannot find one you can afford.
    Law Office of Brian K. Wanerman
    Law Office of Brian K. Wanerman | Brian K. Wanerman
    That would depend on the circumstances of the case. A lawyer would probably charge more if your BAC was significantly higher than .08, if you've had prior DUIs, if there are bad facts (e.g. people/ the police saw you speeding, weaving, etc.), you got into an accident or other issues applied. You should consult an attorney to find out and/or shop around. Most attorneys will give an initial consultation for free at which they will tell you how much they would want to take your case.
    Law Office of Patrick E. Donovan, PLLC
    Law Office of Patrick E. Donovan, PLLC | Patrick E. Donovan
    My flat fee is $3500 to $5000 depending on where the court is located. That is the range for any competent DUI attorney. I don't know of any attorneys who provide these services pro bono.
    Lawyers' fees vary. I would advise you to ask the court for a public defneder, if you are indigent.
    Obviously it varies. A lot. From newbies charging a thousand or more, to heavy hitters charging tens of thousands to take it to trial If serious about hiring counsel to help in this, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me to discuss the facts, costs and your expectaions. ProBono in criminal cases means the Public Defender. If you qualify financially, and can't afford private counsel, apply at your first court hearing.
    DUI Attorneys rates vary. I would be wary of retaining an attorney who charges a very low amount to handle your case. As the old adage goes, "you get what you pay for." Often I have been retained by people who first went with a basement price attorney, but then realized they weren't doing much to help, and sometimes never heard back from them. If you qualify financially, you may be eligible for a public defender (although you still may have to pay for their services). Note that again, there is often the same issue of not getting any kind of personal attention as public defenders are often overwhelmed with case loads and don't have the time to give you the personal attention your case and you may desire.
    Law Offices of James A Bates
    Law Offices of James A Bates | James A Bates
    You should talk to the public defender.
    Grant & Grant
    Grant & Grant | Richard L. Grant, Esq.
    The prevailing rate is $2,500 for the Arraignment Hearing and Pretrial Conferences. It does not include any Pretrial Motions and Conferences/Court Hearings and trial. Some attorneys will require a down payment and payment arrangement on the balance.
    Raiser & Kenniff, PC
    Raiser & Kenniff, PC | Steve Raiser
    You may be eligible for a legal aide attorney. If you live with your parents you may not be eligible. A private attorney can cost anywhere between 1500 and 7500 depending on the facts of your case.
    H. Scott Basham, Attorney at Law, P.C. | H. Scott Basham
    Each lawyer sets his or her own fees. The only way to find out how much a particular lawyer charges is to ask him or her.
    Anderson Law Office
    Anderson Law Office | Scott L. Anderson
    You can always apply for a Public Defender when you get to your court date. The PD does not deal with the license ramification however. You should contact an attorney and discuss the case fully. I cannot quote a price without knowing the details of your case.
    DUI attorneys cost anywhere from $ 2500 to $ 8500. Recognize that you get what you pay for, and if you plead now because you do not have the money, it will effect you later, when you cannot get it removed, expunged or sealed.
    It depends, just like flat screen TVs have different prices. Some attorneys take your money and simply plead you guilty without doing any work. Others will pass your case down to some new associate and never handle the case personally for you. Public defenders are notoriously busy with caseload, not to mention they cannot and will not represent you at the DMV hearing. You better consult a DUI specialist soon, because you have only 10 days to save your license.
    I can't speak to what other lawyers charge. To do so would amount to price fixing. If you are of limited means, you may qualify for a public defender or a modest means attorney. When you go to court you can ask about both programs. As far as I know, there are no pro bono lawyers handling DUI cases because they are too complex. When you hire a DUI attorney, you're getting a lot of expertise in science, chemistry, accident reconstruction and substance abuse. Consequently, most general practitioners don't mess with DUI. On another note, the arresting officer should have given you a form to request a DOL hearing. Fill it out and send it in immediately. Be sure to read the request thoroughly so you know what you need to do. There is a provision to have the $200 hearing fee waived for indigent people so fill that out according to the directions too. A DUI conviction is a serious matter. It is expensive, time consuming, involves mandatory jail and cannot be expunged from one's record. As far as your priorities go at this juncture, you might want to strongly consider hiring an experienced DUI defense lawyer. If you can beat the charge it is well worth it. A good DUI lawyer may find a defense or a way to weaken the case against you. He or she may also be able to get you a plea deal that is too good to resist.
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law | Charles M. Schiff
    You can apply for a Public Defender at your first court appearance. If you qualify, the Public Defender's Office will be appointed to represent you. The cost of private representation varies with each attorney.
    Germaine & Blaszka, P.A.
    Germaine & Blaszka, P.A. | Donald L. Blaszka, Jr.
    Attorneys charge a wide range of fees to represent people accused of DUI.
    Law Offices of Louis M. Leibowitz, LLC
    Law Offices of Louis M. Leibowitz, LLC | Louis Leibowitz
    The Public Defender's Office can represent you in a DUI for free. To hire an attorney can be from $500 to $5,000. Generally speaking, when you hire an attorney, you get what you pay for.
    The Law Office of Stephanie M. Arrache
    The Law Office of Stephanie M. Arrache | Stephanie Arrache
    You can request to have the public defender appointed. Many DUI attorneys offer free consultations, so you can schedule an appointment with a couple local attorneys and see how much they charge. Be careful of attorneys who charge too little, or promise too much.
    MCCLUSKEY LAW OFFICE
    MCCLUSKEY LAW OFFICE | Mary McCluskey
    You're smart to seek representation rather than attempt to represent yourself, even if you don't have a lot of money to pay for it. Some of us offer flexible payment plans.
    Michael Maltby, Attorney at Law
    Michael Maltby, Attorney at Law | Michael Maltby
    You may be able to get a court appointed lawyer. You should expect to pay at least $2,500 for a first time DUI. Beware of low bids. You get what you pay for.
    Glass Defense Firm
    Glass Defense Firm | Jason M. Glass
    You will find attorneys who charge a whole range of fees to handle a DUI. But remember the old adage, you get what you pay for. In my experience, a qualified DUI attorney will cost you in the range of $3,000 to $5,000. You will be able to find those who charge a fraction of that amount, however, that are probably not as well trained in DUI defense and will try to plead you out as quickly as possible. When looking for a qualified DUI attorney ask if they are certified to administer field sobriety tests, trained on the breath machine, belong to any DUI defense organizations, what types of DUI seminars have they gone to. This should weed out the pretenders rather quickly if they are honest to you.
    Answer Applies to: West Virginia
    You can try to find a pro bono lawyer, but your best bet is ask for a court appointed lawyer. As for cost, it depends, there is no set in stone price. Each jurisdiction is different as is the fees charged. What you need to do is ask the lawyer you hire (or at least interview) what is included in the fee, is it a fixed fee for pre-trial, trial, or both. Just because it sounds cheaper does not mean it is. I know lawyers that charge $5000 for a DUI/DWI and that includes a pre-trial and if necessary, trial. Others charge $3000 and that is for pre-trial only, if you decide to go to trial you have to pay more. So, if your only goal is to get this pled, it cost less. If you care about your future, and want to avoid a conviction, it cost more.
    Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
    DWI is a serious crime and you should expect to pay a lot for a competent lawyer.
    Law Office of Neal L. Weinstein
    Law Office of Neal L. Weinstein | Neal L. Weinstein
    You can get a court appointed attorney only if you are facing jail. The judge will inform you at the arraignment, and also the courts provide a "lawyer of the day" person in court to assist you for free. A lot of people are not happy with the outcome, however, as the lawyer of the day has many cases and cannot properly assess your case in the few minutes you will have with him.
    Answer Applies to: Maine
    Gutin and Wolverton
    Gutin and Wolverton | Harley Gutin
    A good one would cost somewhere from $2000 to $5000.00. We would charge $2250.00 for a first time DUI offense. We work with payments.
    Dowdy Law Office
    Dowdy Law Office | J. Scott Dowdy
    Very few attorneys do pro bono work especially in criminal cases. If you are strapped for cash apply for the public defender.
    Mark Thiessen, Attorney at Law
    Mark Thiessen, Attorney at Law | Mark Thiessen
    You basically get what you pay for. Yeah there are attorney who will do it for $500 bucks but they are just going to plea you down the river. Also the court appointed attorneys don't care about your case and will just plead you. Any quality DWI attorney will cost around $5k at least. Check out www.dwimark.com for lots of info. You may be a student, but your future is riding on this outcome. Lots of jobs will not be available if you get convicted. Take out a loan, call your parents or friends and do whatever is necessary to protect your future.
    Caruso & Diaz L.L.C.
    Caruso & Diaz L.L.C. | Natalia Diaz
    No more then $1250.00
    Rhoades & Miller, LLP
    Rhoades & Miller, LLP | M. Jason Rhoades
    You will not find a pro-bono DUI lawyer, though you may be eligible to have an appointed public defender if you meet certain qualifications. You should absolutely be worried about what a conviction can mean for you now and in the future. DUI attorney fees vary greatly depending on the attorney and the circumstances of your situation.
    Miller & Harrison, LLC
    Miller & Harrison, LLC | David Harrison
    If you qualify financially for the public defender you can get a free lawyer. If you are at a school with a Law School (CU- Boulder or DU) they have legal aid clinics that represent people who qualify. Otherwise you will find a wide range of costs and abilities of DUI lawyers.
    Connell-Savela
    Connell-Savela | Jason Savela
    CU has lawyers that can help other schools may also have some legal services good lawyers tend to be reasonably expensive, but call around.
    Betts Legal Services
    Betts Legal Services | Shawn M. Betts
    Lawyers charge different rates. If you qualify for a public defender, their representation is free. There are some organizations that offer free or reduced-rate services as well. Otherwise rates from attorneys on first-time DWI's can range anywhere from $800-$5000.
    Ascheman & Smith | Landon Ascheman
    Most DUI attorneys will offer a free consultation. This is a chance for you to find out if the attorney can help you, and if so, how much it would cost. I would encourage you to set up a free consultation with a DUI attorney, like myself, as soon as possible.
    The Short Law Group, P.C.
    The Short Law Group, P.C. | Shawn Kollie
    The cost of a DUI Lawyer varies widely dependent on many different variables. Most DUI Lawyers will give you a rough idea on their rates before an initial consultation (which is also usually free). Although cost is important, having the rights attorney by your side can be even more crucial.
    Rothstein Law PLLC
    Rothstein Law PLLC | Eric Rothstein
    No one will give you a fee over the internet. Every case is different.
12 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney