How much does it cost to hire an Immigration Attorney for Visa Petition Form I-130 or filing an EOIR-29 Form? 5 Answers as of October 27, 2010

I am an American citizen. I have been applying for a relatives immigration visa for my brother. The office requested some documents for more verification purpose, but I failed to send one document. The office denied my petition.

The denial notice says that I can appeal to the "Board of Immigration Appeals" by filing EOIR-29 form. The notice letter indicates that I need to hire an attorney for this case.

I want to know how much would it cost if I hire an attorney for this case? Is there any free legal help for this kind of case?

You have the option of filing a petition to reopen, and the total fee in that case is $585, and you have to file within 30 days of the denial of the petition. On the other hand, you could file an Notice of Appeal to the Board of Immigration Appeals, also within 30 days you receive your notice of your denial, and the fee is $110. The attorney will charge $2,000-$3,000 for a petition to reopen or an appeal of your earlier denial. If I can be of help, please call or e-mail to set up an appointment for a consultation, either in person or by phone.
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
If it is denied due to failure to respond to Request for Evidence, I would file a motion to reopen before appealing it to the BIA. I charge $600 for this service in my office. Feel free to contact me to discuss further.
It is really difficult to say how much exactly it will cost without knowing more about the case and what would be involved in getting a new petition filed and/or appealing the decision on this one.

If you are interested in discussing it further, please feel free to contact me directly.