How much does it cost to have an attorney handle an uncontested divorce case? 11 Answers as of May 22, 2015

How much does an uncontested divorce cost?

James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
In Michigan it could be as little as $600.. but it might be several times that.
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr.
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr. | John F. Geraghty, Jr.
Relatively inexpensive compared to the expense it can cost you to do it yourself.
David A. Browde, P.C.
David A. Browde, P.C. | David Browde
That depends. Are there children? Properties or pensions to divide?
GordenLaw, LLC
GordenLaw, LLC | Vanessa J. Gorden
It depends. Are there children involved? If so, even if you are in full agreement, there are more documents and work to be reviewed and done. Do you have joint debts (or debts used for joint purposes, since Nebraska is a communal property state)? Do you have retirement accounts? Real property? Either one self-employed? All of these things change the amount of work and thus, the cost involved. No good attorney can quote you a rate without knowing the specifics of your situation. Your best bet is to set up a consultation with a local family law attorney who can find out your factual scenario and specific goals and then set a fair rate of pay for them to assist you. Generally, for experienced attorneys such as myself, we charge a small fee for this consultation. Often, newer attorneys who are still building their practices may even offer such a consultation for free. Best wishes.
The question is a little bit like asking 'how long is a book?' Answer: they vary. The court charges a filing fee which is typically $194.50. Service of process will cost you $50 - $100 typically. Lawyers will ask for an advance payment of anything from $750 to $4000 or so. You usually get what you pay for.
    Law Office of Robert E McCall | Robert McCall
    Depends on the area and the amount of work. In Brevard county I charge $1,500.
    Peggy M. Raddatz
    Peggy M. Raddatz | Peggy M. Raddatz
    That depends on the lawyer and what that particular lawyer charges. Lawyers charge based on their experience, expertise, location and other factors.
    It will be dependent upon the time spent and the complexity of the property to be settled, as well as the venue and judge. It is truly uncontested it should not be terribly expensive. My very strongly suggest engaging in attorney because divorces are complicated and the ultimate settlements or decisions in them can affect the rest of your life.
    Law Offices of Julie A. Ringquist | Julie A. Ringquist
    Does uncontested me that the other party will sign the final Judgment and you agree on all terms? Or does uncontested mean that the other party won't get involved at all and you will have to obtain a Default Judgment? Or does uncontested me that you don't think there will be any disagreements on division of assets, division of debts, child custody and visitation, child support, spousal support, etc? Those scenarios would have different costs. Contact some local attorneys and ask for a free consultation.
    Mediation Services of Southwest Florida
    Mediation Services of Southwest Florida | Dennis J. Leffert, J.D.
    An uncontested divorce would be a lot less expensive if you did it through a Mediator. Mediation is Fast, Effective and Affordable. Uncontested with or without children may cost around $500 - $750 plus Court costs. An attorney may charge as little as $2,500 plus Court costs.
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
    That depends on several factors, including the attorney's hourly rate, the issues involved, and where the case must be filed.