How much does it cost to get a prenup? 8 Answers as of April 25, 2011

I went through a horrible divorce a few years ago in the state of California. I want to get married to my boyfriend, but I want to get a prenup in case we do not make it. How much will this cost?

Each attorney has his or her own pricing structure for Prenups. There isn't such a thing as a "standard" Prenuptial Agreement. It needs to be tailored to the terms that you want, and the attorney may recommend other terms that you hadn't thought about. It should be drafted by an attorney who knows the laws andcases, not a "cheap" attorney.You should interview experienced Family Law Attorneys before choosing one to prepare your Prenup.
Masson & Fatini, LLP
Masson & Fatini, LLP | Richard E. Masson
The cost depends on several factors including the size of the parties' estates, whether the attorney charges by the hour or flat fee, complexity of the issue, etc. Simple ones, however, should be somewhere in the neighborhood of $3,500.
Edwin Fahlen Attorney at Law
Edwin Fahlen Attorney at Law | Edwin Fahlen
Marital Agreements at this office are normally $900.00, unless 1.) your estate is very large and complex, or 2.) there is an abnormal amount of negotiation on the terms, then the complexity will require additional amounts. The vast majority are concluded for the $900.00 fee.
Law Office of Daniel B. Rubanowitz, APC
Law Office of Daniel B. Rubanowitz, APC | Daniel B. Rubanowitz
It is my impression that most family law attorneys do not do Prenuptial or Premarital Agreements. Of those that do, the fee ranges from the attorney's regular hourly rate up to a flat fee of $25,000. It is difficult to determine the total cost ahead of time because you do not know how complicated the Agreement will be, nor do you know who is negotiating on the other side. If you want a better chance of having such an Agreement upheld in court someday, make sure that both sides are represented by counsel of their own. Good Luck.
It depends upon how in depth it needs to be. I can give you a quote after speaking with you about your situation. If you are in my area, please contact me for a free consultation.
    The cost of a prenup varies from one lawyer to the next. There is no legal standard as for price. Some lawyers charge a flat of around $1,000, and some more than $5,000. Some lawyers charge a combination of a flat fee, as well as by the hour, depending on how simple or complex the prenup needs to be, how much negotiation and revising is involved, etc.

Also, as perhaps you can imagine, not all lawyers are equally skilled a drafting prenups. Depending on the circumstances, including the rights and obligations you want to protect via the prenup, it is best to have an experienced lawyer draft the prenup who has also litigated many cases involving prenups. Although some lawyers may disagree with me (the ones that dont litigate much), lawyers that have litigated prenups typically have a better understanding of how certain prenup terms are interpreted and adjudicated (based on real world experience, not theory).

Feel free to contact my office. My flat fee for most prenups is $1,000. However, if its a very simple prenup with little negotiation and redrafting with your fianc, then the fee is even less. From: Question From LawQA [mailto:questions@lawqa.com] Sent: Thursday, April 21, 2011 9:20 AM To: mike@apicellalaw.com Subject: Question From LawQA ID:18501 A QUESTION HAS BEEN SENT TO YOU VIA A CALIFORNIA DIVORCE WEBSITE ON THE LAW QA NETWORK ID:18501 Question: How much does it cost to get a prenup? Question Detail: I went through a horrible divorce a few years ago in the state of California. I want to get married to my boyfriend, but I want to get a prenup in case we do not make it. How much will this cost? *********************************** To answer this question, please just reply to this email. The original content and subject should not be modified, otherwise your answer will not be valid.
    The attorney fees will vary according to the complexity, time factor and cooperation of the other spouse.
    Goldberg Jones
    Goldberg Jones | Zephyr Hill
    It depends on who you hire. Anywhere from $750 to $5,000 is pretty normal. We usually get it done for about $1,500.