How much does it cost to get legal guardianship? 10 Answers as of May 03, 2011

My husband and I are going to let our daughter move out of state to a family friend's house and she is 17. We are thinking about giving legal guardianship over to our family friend and we would like to get an idea on how much this would cost.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
John E. Kirchner, Attorney at Law
John E. Kirchner, Attorney at Law | John Kirchner
In general, the initial costs are probably going to be between $2000 and $3000, but only an attorney who would be handling your case can give you a realistic estimate after discussing all the potential issues. You probably need to consider the fact that the state where your friend and daughter will be living is the place the guardianship case should occur - not your home state. And, you need to consider the fact that in either state, the guardianship is only going to be necessary for less than a year after it is established anyway. After age 18 a person is an adult and doesn't need a guardian. Depending on the reasons you are considering guardianship, it may be preferable (and certainly cheaper) to simply give your friend a power of attorney to make various parental decisions affecting your daughter on your behalf while she is living there and until she is 18.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 5/3/2011
Harris Law Firm
Harris Law Firm | Jennifer C. Robins
If all parties are in agreement regarding a guardianship, it should not cost that much to obtain. Most lawyers would charge an hourly fee for their time, and a stipulated guardianship may take around five hours to complete, plus costs. Some attorneys may agree to charge a flat fee to finish the guardianship. It depends on the attorney.
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 5/3/2011
Michael Anthony Wing, P.C.
Michael Anthony Wing, P.C. | Michael Anthony Wing
Since the minor lives in this state currently, I think you could go ahead and file a joint motion for temporary custody here in AL. Since it would be by agreement, you may be able to get out with an attorney fee as low as $500 or perhaps even less. My office down here in Mobile, typically charges a fee of $500 for a divorce by agreement, and I would think that your matter would be very similar. Stay well.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 5/3/2011
Reeves Law Firm, P.C.
Reeves Law Firm, P.C. | Roy L. Reeves
Please do not waste your money. What you need for a 17 year old in this situation is a Power of Attorney to allow the family member to make decisions, enroll her in school, etc. Guardianship is expensive, it requires court proceedings, etc. For a 17 YO - a POA will accomplish what you want.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 5/2/2011
Apple Law Firm PLLC
Apple Law Firm PLLC | David Goldman
The cost of an uncontested guardianship in Florida is generally around $1,500.00. Please contact us at 904-685-1200 to further discuss your options.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 5/1/2011
    Law Office of John C. Volz
    Law Office of John C. Volz | John C. Volz
    There are less formal ways to allow your daughter to move out of state. For a guardianship matter, the court and investigation costs alone are approximately $1,000. You could sign over a temporary custody agreement or since your daughter is 17, she would be able to file for an emancipation. Both these options will cost significantly less money and take less time.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 5/1/2011
    Law Office of Richard B. Kell
    Law Office of Richard B. Kell | Richard B. Kell
    It would be best to have everything properly drafted by an attorney. My office prepares all of the necessary forms for a flat fee of $500.00.
    Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
    Replied: 4/29/2011
    The Davies Law Firm, P.A.
    The Davies Law Firm, P.A. | Robert F. Davies, Esq.
    for school purposes, I can draw an appropriate Power of Attorney, good for 6 months. this will not cost you a lot for the lawyer.
    Answer Applies to: New Jersey
    Replied: 4/29/2011
    Law Office of Curry & Westgate
    Law Office of Curry & Westgate | Patrick Curry
    Guardianship has become very expensive because it requires several court appearances and lots of paperwork, however you can try to do it on your own since everyone is in agreement.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 4/29/2011
    Glenn E. Tanner
    Glenn E. Tanner | Glenn E. Tanner
    I don't think you want the family friend to have an actual guardianship over your child but rather simply want to grant power of attorney to your friend to care for your child. There is some question in my mind whether that should be done by a Washington attorney or an attorney in the state where your friend resides but in either case a couple hours or so of attorney time or possibly less is all that's required probably. Good luck
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 4/29/2011
Click to View More Answers: