How much does it cost to file for bankruptcy and where to start? 11 Answers as of May 15, 2015

I cannot pay my debts anymore and it is very hard for me. How much does it cost for bankruptcy?

It varies. I charge $900 plus the filing fee of $335.00. I charge less than most attorneys. Pretty much that is all I do, so my office is efficient at getting it done.
The court filing fee for a Chapter 7 bankruptcy i $335.00. It's best to retain an experienced bankruptcy lawyer. Their fees are all over the place, from a low of about $1,000 to a high of about $3,500. (Avoid the low end: you will likely not be hiring someone who really knows how to do it effectively.)
The filing fee is $335, you have to take two online courses that should cost about $10 each (if they want more, find a cheaper course) and the attorney fee will probably run about $1,000?
The filing fee is $331.00. Our firm charges $1300.00 for attorney's fees for a standard Chapter 7.
If you have to ask, you probably can't afford to file bankruptcy, and if you can't afford to file, you probably don't need to file. Not being able to pay your debts alone isn't a sufficient reason to file bankruptcy. Your legal fee, plus court costs will probably come to something in the range of $2,000. So unless you have $20,000 in debts to eliminate in bankruptcy, you aren't getting bang for your buck.
    Law Offices of Daniel J Winter
    Law Offices of Daniel J Winter | Daniel J Winter
    There is no "one price fits all" for a bankruptcy. Each case is different. Most bankruptcy attorneys will give you a free in-person consultation.
    Bunch & Brock, Attorneys-at-Law
    Bunch & Brock, Attorneys-at-Law | W. Thomas Bunch II
    In Lexington, Kentucky, most simple Chapter 7 cases are between $900 and $1,200 plus the $335 filing fee. However, if a client cannot afford a Chapter 7 case (where you file the case and walk away from your debts), you can file a Chapter 13 case and make payments over time. Please talk to someone in our law firm about your situation.
    Answer Applies to: Kentucky
    Attorneys range from 1500 to 3000 generally. You should start by going to an attorney and they will tell you what to do.
    Assuming your case is a consumer bankruptcy, and it is a standard type case, I charge a flat fee of $1,500 plus costs. I generally get a retainer of $500 up front, and the balance over the next ninety days. You can refer all creditor calls to me in the meantime. Me and my staff will guide you carefully and compassionately through the entire process (go to my Website and look at the testimonials, not to mention tons of information about bankruptcy). I have successfully filed THOUSANDS of bankruptcies, so I know I can help you.
    The Law Offices of Ryan F. Beach, PLLC
    The Law Offices of Ryan F. Beach, PLLC | Ryan Beach
    The filing fee for Chapter 7 is $335.00. The attorney fees can vary by location, attorney and complexity of the case. Most bankruptcy attorneys offer free phone or in-person consultations where you can get a quote for filing. You should definitely shop around for an attorney, but you should definitely not select your attorney based on price alone.
    The filing fee is $335. To have an attorney handle your case you should expect to pay a flat fee. This can range from less than $1000 to much more depending on who you use.