How much does it cost to file a chapter 13 bankruptcy? 30 Answers as of July 09, 2013

How much does it cost to file a chapter 13 bankruptcy? Is it more expensive than a chapter 7 bankruptcy?

Law Office of Asaph Abrams
Law Office of Asaph Abrams | Asaph Abrams
With regard to chapters 7 and 13, there is a threshold question of eligibility (you may be eligible for one chapter, both chapters, or neither chapter). Beyond that, the analysis is not cost, but cost versus benefit. Chapter 13 is a payment plan; chapter 7 is not, so in many circumstances, chapter 7 is cheaper. Yet, chapter 13 can afford benefits not available under chapter 7, such as the "stripping" of a wholly unsecured second mortgage. Therefore, chapter 13 may afford greater ultimate savings. It's a case by case kind of thing. This answer (as well as our Web site) doesn't address all facts & implications of the question; it's general info, not legal advice to be relied upon; it creates no attorney-client relationship; it may be pertinent to CA only; it's independent of other answers.
Bird & VanDyke, Inc.
Bird & VanDyke, Inc. | David VanDyke
Yes ch 13 is more expensive than ch 7. However many attorneys allow a partial up front payment and the balance can be paid through your ch 13 plan.
Bankruptcy Law Center
Bankruptcy Law Center | Bill Zurinskas
Attorney's fees for filing Chapter 13 bankruptcy are significantly more expensive than fees for chapter 7. In Colorado, Chapter 13 attorney's fees start at approx. $3300 and go up from there depending on complexity. I know of no experienced chapter 13 bankrupty attorneys in Colorado that charge less than $3300. I've have seen lower fees from young new attorneys. Probably the more important question is "How much the attorney wants down to file the chapter 13 bankruptcy?" Most experienced attorneys will accept one-half down to file and receive their remaining fees through the chapter 13 plan.
Law Offices of Michael J. Berger
Law Offices of Michael J. Berger | Michael J. Berger
Here is information from the fees page of my website, www.bankruptcypower.com that answers your question: The Court filing fee for a Chapter 13 bankruptcy is $274.00. The Court filing fee for a Chapter 7 bankruptcy is $299.00. I typically charge $4,000.00 for a Chapter 13 bankruptcy case for debtors who work for a company, and $4,500.00 for debtors who are self-employed, though complicated cases may involve additional fees. I typically ask my clients to pay me $2,000.00 before the filing of the Chapter 13 petition, with the balance of my legal fees being paid through the Chapter 13 plan. This allows my Chapter 13 clients to file bankruptcy and save their homes without having to pay me the entire legal fee before the filing of the bankruptcy petition. I handle all Chapter 7 bankruptcy cases on a flat fee basis. My fees for a Chapter 7 range from a minimum of $1,500.00 to a maximum of $5,000.00, depending on the complexity of the case. My median fee for a Chapter 7 is $2,000.00. My flat fee covers many things that paralegals cannot do, and other bankruptcy attorneys charge extra for. Half of the fee is due when you hire me, half is due immediately before filing of the bankruptcy petition. Conclusion: It usually costs less to file a Chapter 7 than to file a Chapter 13. This is because there is more work involved in handling a Chapter 13 bankruptcy case than there is handling Chapter 7 bankruptcy. In addition to the petition and schedules that you have in both Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 cases, you have to prepare a plan and prepare for and attend one or more plan confirmation hearings in a chapter 13 case.
Eric J. Benzer, Attorney at Law
Eric J. Benzer, Attorney at Law | Eric Benzer
2500 plus.
    The total fees for chapter 13 are more than chapter 7. However, the up front cost is about the same, roughly $2000. There are additional fees built into the payment plan. In the Oakland division personal chapter 13 total fees are $4800.
    Chapter 13 is more expensive than chapter 7. Each district has a "no look fee". This is a fee the court will allow the lawyer without filing a motion to determine the fee. In the central district that fee is $4,000.00 for a non-business case. It does not have to be paid all at once. For example, I often have the client pay me $1,000.00 plus the filing fee up front. The rest they pay when they make their plan payment to the trustee. The trustee then pays me from the funds she collects.
    Mercado & Hartung, PLLC | Christopher J. Mercado
    Ch 7 is $299 and a Ch 13 is $279.
    Law Office of John C. Farrell, Jr.
    Law Office of John C. Farrell, Jr. | John C. Farrell, Jr.
    It depends on how much the attorney charges and how much work is involved. One way to reduce the costs is to do alot of the leg work for the attorney. Typically CH13 is more than CH7 because it is more complicated.
    The cost depends on the attorney and the county you live in. A Chapter 13 is more expensive because it is more work and you will be involved with your attorney for 3 to 5 years, depending on which chapter 13 you qualify for. In downstate NY, a Chapter 13 is in the neighborhood of $3,500 to $5,000 and a Chapter 7 is around $2,000 to $3,000. But for a decision this big you should look for a good attorney, not to price shop too much. A good attorney will let you know which you qualify for and which is in your best interests.
    Chapter 13 is far more complex than a 7. While the legal fees are less apparent as some may be buried in your plan, I charge 3-4 times more for an average 13 than a 7. Note that you do not (usually) have a choice between the two. The facts that let you file one tend to prevent the other. Discuss this with your lawyer.
    Heupel Law
    Heupel Law | Kevin Heupel
    Chapter 13 can be more expensive than a Chapter 7 due to the amount of court time involved. However, you can pay attorney fees in the plan, which makes it cheaper than Chapter 7 to get your case filed. Our firm offers a no money down for Chapter 13 cases so people who need to file can do so.
    Dan Wilson Bankruptcy
    Dan Wilson Bankruptcy | Dan Wilson
    Depends a lot on the policies of the attorney. I usually get between $1500-2000 up front and perhaps another $2000-4000 through the plan. Ch 13s are a LOT of work. I sometimes file one for much less down, particularly if the debtor is living on Social Security.
    Braunstein Law, PC
    Braunstein Law, PC | Jacob Braunstein
    The cost of a Chapter 13 will depend on several factors and will vary from one attorney to another. Generally, a Chapter 13 will cost more in legal fees than a Chapter 7 due to the difference in the amount of legal work involved.
    D T Pham Associates, PLLC
    D T Pham Associates, PLLC | Duncan T Pham
    There's a $235.00 filing fee and a $39.00 administrative fee required.
    Stuart Jon Bierman  Attorney at Law
    Stuart Jon Bierman Attorney at Law | Stuart Jon Bierman
    The legal fees vary depending upon your circumstances. A chapter 13 is more costly in terms of legal fees then a 7.
    Law Office of Andrew Harris
    Law Office of Andrew Harris | Andrew Harris
    Filing a Chapter 13 is more expensive than a Chapter 7. Cost for a Chapter 13 depends on the complexity of the case. In some cases a majority of the attorney's fees can be paid through the plan instead of being paid in full up front.
    Law Offices of Joseph A. Mannis
    Law Offices of Joseph A. Mannis | Todd Mannis
    Yes, more expensive. How much depends on the complexity of your case. Quoting fees here is not fair to you because we don't know your situation.
    Law Office of Harry L Styron
    Law Office of Harry L Styron | Harry L Styron
    The filing fee for a Chapter 13 is $275 and for a Chapter 7 is $299. However, the attorneys fees (and document preparation fees, if that is the route you go) are materially different. A document preparer who does a Chapter 7 is limited to $150 in the Northern District of California. Attorneys fees including document preparation may be in the range of $750-$1,500. Chapter 13 is much more complex, and attorneys fees in a Chapter 13 are limited to a $2,000 retainer and additional fees (as much as $4,000 in a straightforward case, and more if a business is involved) will be paid as part of the plan.
    Law Office of Michael Johnson
    Law Office of Michael Johnson | Michael Johnson
    A chapter 13 for the most part will cost between 3-4 thousand dollars, but you may only need a small about to get it filed and pay the attorney over the next five years. A chapter 7 may cost between 1.5 and 3 thousand. Again this does depend on your facts.
    A Chapter 13 Bankruptcy is more expensive than a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy and the price can be different based on your specific circumstances. You can expect the fee to be in excess of $2,000.00. You should speak with a Bankruptcy Attorney to discuss your specific situation. Only after all the information is received can an attorney give you the advice you need as to which chapter you should file under.
    Symmes Law Group, PLLC
    Symmes Law Group, PLLC | Richard James Symmes
    Yes a chapter 13 is more expensive than a chapter 7 and is jurisdiction specific so talk to a lawyer in your area.
    The Law Offices of Katie M. Stone
    The Law Offices of Katie M. Stone | Katie M. Stone
    Different attorney's charge different fees so I can't tell you how much one will cost, that will depend on who you hire to represent you. A chapter 13 bankruptcy is usually more expensive because of the amount of work that is done. It is usually a 36 or 60 month repayment plan and the attorney you hire should stay with you all the way from petition date to discharge. A chapter 7 is less expensive because it does not require as much work and only lasts around 3-4 months from petition filing to discharge. I hope you found this answer useful.
    The Morris Law Group
    The Morris Law Group | Geoff Morris
    That depends on the complexity of your case. Chapter 13 bankruptcy is more expensive than a Chapter 7.
    Judith A. Runyon, Esq. Attorney at Law
    Judith A. Runyon, Esq. Attorney at Law | Judith A. Runyon
    Are you asking about attorney fees or the court filing fee?
    Law Office Of Magnolia Zarraga
    Law Office Of Magnolia Zarraga | Magnolia Zarraga
    A chapter 13 varies in many ways from a chapter 7; cost is one of those ways. In our area, the court has guidelines that bankruptcy attorneys must follow when setting their fees for a chapter 13. The cost is basically based on the type of debt you have, and whether anything out of the ordinary must be done on your case. The attorneys typically will file a chapter 13 upon payment of a deposit, the rest of the attorney fees will get paid back through what called a chapter 13 plan. You will have a monthly payment to the trustee; out of that money the balance of your attorney's fees will be paid. A chapter 7 is very different. Attorneys must get the entire amount up front before the filing can occur. The fees range from attorney to attorney and from case to case but typically can run anywhere from $1300- $2000 and can go up from there if there is a business involved or tax issues, prior bankruptcy, or other issues. Consult with an attorney, that way they can give you a quote for their services after analyzing your situation.
    Ariano & Reppucci
    Ariano & Reppucci | Chris Ariano
    Yes, Chapter 13 generally costs more than Chapter 7. The reason is that there is work after filing in getting your Chapter 13 plan confirmed. Some attorneys charge less upfront and take more through the plan while others will demand payment up front.
    The filing fee is $274 for the court but attorney fees are usually $4000 which is more than the chapter 13 fees.
    Kevin Bluitt, Attorney at Law
    Kevin Bluitt, Attorney at Law | Kevin Bluitt
    $274.00
12 3 4 5 6 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney