How much does it cost to fight a DUI? 91 Answers as of August 08, 2011

I got a DUI, and I wasn't drunk. How do I fight this? I had had one drink, but the office said I was drunk and wouldn't listen to me.

Law Office of Brian K. Wanerman
Law Office of Brian K. Wanerman | Brian K. Wanerman
It depends on how many "battles" you want your attorney to "fight" and the difficulties of each "battle." If, for instance, you want representation only at your arraignment, the cost should be fairly cheap. It will cost a lot more if you want him to challenge evidence, file motions or take the case to trial. Many attorneys also charge extra for fighting the automatic driver's license suspension by the DMV. It also depends on your history. It will probably cost less if this is your first offense than if you have previous DUI convictions. And it depends on the facts. The stronger the DA's evidence against you, the more it will cost to fight.

In your case you said you had one drink but the officer said you were "drunk." If your blood did not test at an alcohol concentration of at least .08, then you cannot be charged with the "B count" in which impairment of your judgment is presumed. But, you can still be convicted of the "A count" if the prosecution can prove you were impaired by putting on additional evidence. (e.g. erratic driving, speeding, stumbling, slurred speech, "failing" field sobriety "tests",etc.)

You should consult an attorney in your area who can give you advice tailored to your specific situation.
Night Life Lawyers
Night Life Lawyers | Joshua Aldabbagh
The price range will vary dramatically from attorney to attorney. I would recommend getting a price from several different lawyers before choosing one, and make sure the price you are quoted is certain, flat fee.
Law Office of Thomas A. Medford, Jr., PC
Law Office of Thomas A. Medford, Jr., PC | Thomas A. Medford, Jr.
Generally $1,000 on the low end to about $3,000 for standard run of the mill cases.
Answer Applies to: District of Columbia
Lowenstein Law Office
Lowenstein Law Office | Anthony Lowenstein
It depends on several factors.
Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation
Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation | Paul Wallin
IF you are talking about legal fees, fees will range depending upon where your case is pending, if you have a prior criminal record, and the experience of the law firm. A general range is 1500 to 5000 up to trial. However, if you are convicted of a DUI the costs are much higher than that. There will be a fine and alcohol school and your car insurance will either be canceled or you will become assigned risk.
    A.L.A. Law Group, LLP
    A.L.A. Law Group, LLP | Lauren M. Mayfield
    You should get several consultations from criminal defense attorneys. There is a large range in price but an attorney can save you money in the long run if you avoid fines and classes with a conviction. Also you should speak with an insurance agent that is either a DUI specialist or specializes in SR-22s because they may be able to help keep it off your record if you contact them right after the offense. Also be aware you can get convicted under a .08 and the fines are around $2000 and you also have insurance increases, classes, possibly an interlock ignition device and probation and a license suspension.
    Healan Law Offices
    Healan Law Offices | William D. Healan, III
    It depends on the lawyer you hire and the jurisdiction the charge is in. Expect to pay between $3500 to $10000 an up for a decent lawyer to contest a first DUI.
    Jonathan S. Willett Attorney at Law
    Jonathan S. Willett Attorney at Law | Jonathan S. Willett
    Hello- Expect to pay from 2000 to 9500 for a trial. A plea bargain usually ranges from 1250 to 3000. Depends upon the attorney.
    Law Offices of John J. Connors, Esq.
    Law Offices of John J. Connors, Esq. | John J. Connors, Esq.
    That's like asking "how much is a car?" There are numerous answers. Does the breath test have to be attacked? Is there a problem with the field sobriety test? Were there any witnesses? Does an investigator need to be hired? Was an accident involved? You need to sit down with an experienced trial lawyer to determine the strengths and weaknesses in your case. From there, a lawyer can estimate what the defense will cost you.
    Frances R. Johnson
    Frances R. Johnson | Frances R. Johnson
    To "fight it," you would be best served to obtain an attorney to help you from the DMV hearing (very important impact on case) through trial on the actual DUI charge. You would have to call several attorneys to find out how much each one might charge; different attorneys have different fees. You could try to pursue on your own, but if you lose, this option could be nearly as expensive as obtaining an attorney on the front end with the consequences (insurance, potential negative job search impact, etc.).
    Eric J Schurman, Attorney at Law
    Eric J Schurman, Attorney at Law | Eric James Schurman
    Did you take a breath test? There are many facts I'd need to know before I can answer your question(s).
    To go all the way to trial and present a thorough defense could easily cost $10,000.00 or more.
    Get an attorney who fights these kind of cases. Get an attorney who fights these type of cases.
    Law Office of Sean Patrick Walsh
    Law Office of Sean Patrick Walsh | Sean Patrick Walsh
    Call me for a free consultation.
    Law Office of Maureen Furlong Baldwin
    Law Office of Maureen Furlong Baldwin | Maureen Furlong Baldwin
    The cost of a private attorney depends on how complicated your case is, as well as going rates in your jurisdiction. DUIs are usually proved based upon test results a breathalyzer or a blood test. If your test result shows you were under the .08 minimum, the prosecution does not have much of a case. Other factors of course are whether you refused or did not take any tests, how your driving was, and whether there was an accident involved. You can only learn how much an attorney will cost by calling someone. Most criminal attorneys offer free 30 minute consultations and will quote you a price in their office, or even on the phone.
    Potter Law Offices
    Potter Law Offices | Cal J. Potter, III, Esq.
    The standard fee for a DUI first Offense is $1,500.00-$2,500.00 depending on the attorney and whether the case is negotiated or goes to trial.
    Law Offices of Sean Logue
    Law Offices of Sean Logue | Sean Logue
    There are different prices depending on how many prior DUIs you have on your record. I handle many DUIs;
    Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC
    Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC | Martina A. Vigil
    Your first step is to hire a lawyer who can analyze your police report and thoroughly explain the weaknesses and strengths of the DA's case against you. The fines/fees, not including attorney's fees, are around $1900. Attorneys have different rates so it is important to look around.
    Correia-Champa & Mailhot
    Correia-Champa & Mailhot | Susan Correia Champa
    It depends on the experience level of the attorney you hire. Some may charge $5,000.00 some may charge $10,000.00 and some may charge below $5,000.00. You will need to call an attorney and then make your decision.
    Attorneys of Michigan, PLLC
    Attorneys of Michigan, PLLC | Daniel Hajji
    The penalties of a DUI conviction in Michigan can be quite significant. Watch this short video by clicking here
    Gregory Casale Attorney at Law
    Gregory Casale Attorney at Law | Gregory Casale
    The best way to fight this or any charge is to hire a good criminal defense lawyer. Fighting criminal charges is what they do everyday. I have personally fought hundreds of DUI charges. There are many defenses available that only an experienced attorney will be aware of. I would be happy to discuss your case with you. There is no fee for the consultation.
    Michael Maltby, Attorney at Law
    Michael Maltby, Attorney at Law | Michael Maltby
    There must be some explanation. It sounds like you need an attorney to sort this out. No prosecutor can proceed in a dui case without at least probable cause (more likely than not)that a crime occurred based on the evidence available for the judge to set bail conditions. You need a lawyer to explain to you how you could be in this fix after one drink and to provide a defense for you based on the facts in your case and the application of his/her experience in these matters. It is not uncommon for a police officer to form an opinion in good faith that, in the end, is flat wrong. That's why we have defense attorneys and juries.
    Law Offices of Christopher Jackson
    Law Offices of Christopher Jackson | Christopher L. Jackson
    Did you take a breath test? Did you take any field sobriety tests? You need to contact a lawyer directly and talk to them about the above issues and how much it will cost.
    Answer Applies to: Kentucky
    Gutin and Wolverton
    Gutin and Wolverton | Harley Gutin
    You can retain this office with a small retainer and make monthly payments. The total fee each attorney charges depends on each case. Out fees include covering trials, pleas and formal reviews (contesting the license suspension within the first ten days with the Department of Motor Vehicles DMV).
    Dichter Law Office, PLLC
    Dichter Law Office, PLLC | Jonathan Dichter
    Every case is a little different.
    Leyba Defense, PLLC
    Leyba Defense, PLLC | Matthew Leyba
    The first thing you should do is speak with an experienced and qualified DUI Attorney. They will be able to spell out all the costs, and fees it would cost you to fight a DUI charge. They would also be able to assess the strengths and weaknesses of your case and give you an idea of what your options might be. Good luck
    John Segelbaum, P.S.
    John Segelbaum, P.S. | John Segelbaum
    All DUIs should be aggressively defended. Very few of my clients are convicted of DUI. Costs depend on the complexity of the case, your prior record and the court where the case is filed. I offer flexible payment plans. Contact my office for a free consultation.
    Law Offices of James A Bates
    Law Offices of James A Bates | James A Bates
    Retainer fees vary. The main thing is that you get someone in the area of the court and someone who has expertise in DUIs. You will get a lot of "jail mail" from lawyers who got your name from the arrest records. Ignore all of that and throw it away. Go to the courthouse and talk with court reporters, off-duty bailiffs. Find out who they respect as the best lawyers in town and hire the one you feel the most confident with.
    Braunstein Law, PC
    Braunstein Law, PC | Jacob Braunstein
    The cost will vary by attorney. Many criminal defense firms, including ours, will charge a flat fee to represent you.
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer | Cynthia Henley
    The fees that lawyers charge vary from county to county and lawyer to lawyer. You should call 3 to 5 local lawyers and determine if they handle DWI cases (including ALR hearings.) You want someone who has been to trial on a DWI in the past 6 months which will mean that they actively represent on DWI cases. You should visit in person with at least 2 lawyers. You need to get on this immediately because the ALR hearing must be requested within 15 days of your arrest.
    Law Offices of Jeffery A. Cojocar, PC
    Law Offices of Jeffery A. Cojocar, PC | Jeffery A. Cojocar
    Retain counsel. Feel free to call my office if in the metro Detroit area.
    Collins Law Firm, P.A.
    Collins Law Firm, P.A. | John C. Collins
    It cost a lot to do these cases right. Do as much research as you can on whoever you pick. Some attorneys charge 1000 but most dwi attorneys charge considerably more. A good dwi attorney in Arkansas will cost you between 4000-6000 depending on the facts of your case S
    Answer Applies to: Arkansas
    Law Offices of Matthew Murillo
    Law Offices of Matthew Murillo | Matthew Murillo
    Being drink is not required for a DUI. Having a BAC above the legal limit is. If you feel you have a case, you should consult with a couple of attorneys. Cost will vary by attorney.
    Law Office of Michael Morgan, l.L.C.
    Law Office of Michael Morgan, l.L.C. | Michael Morgan
    It can vary but a ballpark figure is anywhere from $3,000 to $10,000.
    No offense, but almost every defendant I represent, tell s me the same thing. You need to consult with an attorney and review the facts of your case. Legal fees, if the case goes to trial can be easily 6,000.00 or more. In addition there are other economic factors. I tell clients that the economic implications of a first time DUI generally run about $12,000 - $15,000.00. Talk with an attorney.
    The Law Firm of David Jolly
    The Law Firm of David Jolly | David Jolly
    Costs vary for representation for a DUI. However, most good DUI attorneys will charge a flat fee that covers the court and DOL representation. This varies from $3000 and $6000 total.
    Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
    It depends on the quality of the lawyer, the venue you have been charged in, and the specific services you are looking for. We represent motorists charged in NY State with DWI and are happy to give a no obligation, free phone consultation.
    Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan
    Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan | Geoffrey M. Yaryan
    The cost will vary depending on where you are and the experience of the attorney you retain.
    Cost to fight a criminal charge will vary depending upon the attorney retained and the type of case as well as what the attorney has to do. Some attorneys may charge a fixed fee for a DUI trial where others may charge by the hour.
    Harris Law Firm
    Harris Law Firm | Jennifer C. Robins
    The costs for taking a DUI charge to trial vary depending on the attorney you hire and the costs associated with trial. DUI law is very specific and it is best to hire someone with specialized training in handling DUI cases. Contact your local bar association and ask for referrals to a few DUI attorneys. Contact them and see how you feel about each one. Costs vary, as I said, and can range from a few thousand dollars to tens of thousands.
    The fees are set by the lawyer you choose. They vary by jurisdiction. You can anticipate paying anywhere from $750 to $2,500 depending on your location. Stay well.
    Law Office of Jonathan T. Sarre
    Law Office of Jonathan T. Sarre | Jonathan T. Sarre
    The answer depends and it usually depends on whether this is your first DUII or your fifth. In most jurisdictions, the penalty for DUII goes up the more DUIIs you have (or the higher your BAC was). This translates into "the more jail you are looking at, the more work the attorney must do" thus most lawyers will charge a steeper fee for the amount of work we have to do to keep you out of jail. You need to hire an attorney who specializes in trying DUIIs and be clear on the fact that you want to fight this case.
    The Law Office of Eric R. Chandler, P.C., L.L.O.
    The Law Office of Eric R. Chandler, P.C., L.L.O. | Eric R. Chandler
    It really depends on the circumstances. In Omaha, NE, if it's your first DUI, there was not an accident, no one was injured, etc. etc.; you are likely looking at somewhere between $800-$1,100. I would be a little concerned if anyone charged you any more or any less than that on normal facts.
    It depends on facts and what is required. It may cost $500-1,500.00
    Thank you for your inquiry. The cost of defending a case will depend on the facts and work needed to defend. For example, a case that goes to trial is more expensive than a case which results in a plea. I would need to know the facts of your case and get an idea of the defenses and procedure needed to present the defenses before being able to estimate the costs. You may contact me for an appointment to more fully discuss your case.
    Bristol & Dubiel LLP
    Bristol & Dubiel LLP | Murray L. Bristol
    It can cost up to $10,000 to defend a DWI/DUI.
    The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones
    The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones | B. Elaine Jones
    I charge $1,500 to represent someone in a DUI. A lot of things will determine whether or not you can beat the charge. First, did you do the breathalyzer test. If you did not give them a breath sample, and you look good doing the field sobriety tests on the video, there is a change to fight the DUI. They are other issues to consider as well like whether the initial stop was a legal one or not. If your case is in the Tampa Bay area and you would like further consultation, please contact my office to set up an appointment. Make sure you mention Question ID 19227 and you will receive further free consultation.
    The Law Offices of Dustan Neyland
    The Law Offices of Dustan Neyland | Dustan Neyland
    You need to interview several lawyers in your area. Every lawyer charges a different fee based on their level of experience, the complexity of your case, and the time it will take to fight your case.
    It depends on how much work is involved. A jury trial is far more expensive in that you and your attorney may be in court for 3-5 days all day including jury selection and waiting for a verdict. In addition, some lawyers charge flat fees and some by the hour. The most important thing is that you find a lawyer who is a criminal law specialist and with whom you have a rapport. As to your case, without knowing the blood alcohol result it is difficult to say how best to "fight" your case.
    It is impossible to answer your question on a forum like this one. I only assume you are in Texas since I have requested to be copied only on questions in Texas. But, even if you are in Texas, I don't know what jurisdiction you are in, what you expect or want, will this go to trial, will there be a motion to suppress, did you give breathe or blood, do you need to schedule an ALR Hearing for your license suspension, is this your first DUI or Second or Third . . . . my firm handles DUI/DWI cases in Collin County. I also offer a free consultation to answer your cost question. I can at least evaluate your case when I know more details and facts. Most attorney offer a free consult or a discounted rate for the consult. You need to find a local lawyer and schedule one of those consultations. And, keep in mind, my firm handles these in Collin County, so if you are here, please give me a call.
    Most attorneys will not quote a fee unless and until they have spoken with the client and know the facts of the case andwhat is needed to defend the case. Fees vary widely based on the needs of the client, thefacts, and the skill of the attorney.
    Law Office of Michael Brodsky
    Law Office of Michael Brodsky | Michael Brodsky
    Unfortunately, falsely accused or not, fighting a DUI can be expensive with attorney's fees of up to $10,000.00! If you are convicted you will faces additional costs of from $2,000 - $7,000. Please note that this is not legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This post represents only the posters opinion. You should speak to an attorney for further information. The poster is licensed only in the State of Washington. For more information about our law firm and services, please visit our website. If this post was helpful to you, please remember to vote for it. Thank you.
    That depends on who you hire. I charge $2,500 to get you through everything but trial. Trial would run another $2,5000 that would have to be paid after your decision to go to trial. It may also be that an expert would be helpful. You would be responsible for the expert and any trial costs.
    It depends. The cost of a DUI attorney can range from several hundred dollars to tens of thousands. The average price range is between $1,000 to $2,500. The price also depends on whether or not it has to go to trial and how many motions have to be made. A good DUI attorney is well worth the money because they can save you tons in terms of fines, costs, vehicle immobilization, higher insurance premiums, license points and sanctions, etc.

Here's a good tip: I wouldn't trust a DUI lawyer for charges less than $1,000 because there is no way they can possibly put the proper amount of time into your case for that. If you run into an attorney who just charges a few hundred dollars, there's a reason. Probably because he' s desperate for clients. Seek out several attorneys before you make your decision.
    This response is general information only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. However different attorneys charge different fees and of course it depends upon many factors such as whether the case is going to be pea bargained or go to trial whether motions have to be made and have to go to pre trial hearings . You should talk to a few attorneys and see what they charge.
    Bloom Legal, LLC
    Bloom Legal, LLC | Seth J. Bloom
    The cost of fighting the DWI will consist of your attorney fees as well as various associated court costs. Also, in the event of a conviction, you will be responsible for paying for the various associated items such as alcohol counseling, interlock devices, etc. These costs are all variable and generally are unique to your particular situation.

The best thing you can do is hire the best DWI defense attorney you can afford. Your attorney will be able to advise you as far as how to proceed with everything else. If you are seeking DWI defense in Louisiana, we invite you to contact our firm at the information on this page for a free case evaluation.
    The actual cost of getting a conviction for a DUI runs into thousands of dollars. To represent you on a DUI will depend on your location, nature of the charge and/or particular facts. I would be happy to speak with you in person to discuss what my representation would cost.
    Miller & Harrison, LLC
    Miller & Harrison, LLC | David Harrison
    The cost of defending a DUI case varies depending on what county the case is in, whether you have prior DUI's, and the expertise of the lawyer you hire. It would not be uncommon to spend at least $2500, and it could be over $10,000.
    We are The Goolsby Law Firm, LLC located in Augusta, Georgia. You can find criminal attorneys at all different retainer rates. If you intend to go to a jury trial, then you should be prepared to retain a good, experienced lawyer who will fight hard for you! Good luck!
    Nichols Law Firm
    Nichols Law Firm | Michael J. Nichols
    To put your best foot forward in court and to do it the right way you should expect to pay anywhere from $10,000.00 to $30,000.00 depending on the issues, the facts, where your case is located and various other factors.
    Expert Bronx Criminal Lawyers
    Expert Bronx Criminal Lawyers | Alexander Sanchez
    Prices vary according to many different factors. These factors includes the following: Place where incident occurred, prior record, prior dwi, the alleged evidence (such as video, or multiple witness), breath test results, experience of the lawyer, whether the case will proceed to trial,and many other factors. Ballpark figures may range anywhere from $2,500 to $5000.
    The average DWI plea is $1,500 or more and a trial is $2,500-$5,000 in Manhattan. In Buffalo or smaller cities the fee may be less. If you have a breath test over .13 or a second offense you will probably have a trial. If you were mot intoxicated and passed the field sobriety tests then you may be found not guilty at trial. Feel free to call for a free consultation.
    You need to call an attorney who specializes in DUI and who will personally represent you from start to finish. Unfortunately, the way the system is set up, the Judge/prosecutor simply won't listen to your reasons/defenses when you go to court by yourself, unrepresented.
    Varies from city to city. Probably in the neighborhood of $2000.
    Harden Law Offices
    Harden Law Offices | Leonard D. Harden
    It depends on many factors, level of offense, chemical test, need for experts (toxicologist, chemist, fsts expert) experience of attorney and where you are located.

Contact a DWI defense lawyer in your jurisdiction who has the best reputation among others lawyers and cops. You should meet the lawyer and they should be able to give you a break down on costs.
    Hire a qualified criminal defense lawyer $2500.00- is a ballpark figure.
    LynchLaw
    LynchLaw | Michael Thomas Lynch
    There are many different options when hiring a lawyer. Typically a criminal defense attorney can be retained on an hourly basis or a set fee basis. The set fee can be for all appearances and representation up to the point where trial is set, or it can be for all representation including trial. A lawyer can charge any reasonable fee. How much a lawyer charges depends on what type of case is pending. More is charged for a felony than a misdemeanor. A DUI could be charged as either a felony or a misdemeanor. In this county most set fees are for a period up until trial, with a trial coming under a separate agreement. A set fee on a misdemeanor DUI for representation up to the point of trial could be any amount, but typically $1,000 to 4,000. A set fee on a trial could cost anywhere from $3,000 to $10,000. Some defendants agree to a daily fee of $1,000 in an effort to same money if the trial is quick. I hope this helps.
    California Criminal Defense Center
    California Criminal Defense Center | Ardalon Fakhimi
    You should consult with a DUI / Criminal Lawyer immediately as you only have 10 days from the date of your DUI to schedule your DMV hearing. The DMV hearing is important for many reasons, including preserving your driving privileges. The legal fees vary from lawyer to lawyer, and also depending on the facts of your case. If you would like to schedule a free telephonic consultation, please contact our office.
    The Law Office of Kevin O'Grady
    The Law Office of Kevin O'Grady | Kevin O'Grady
    The cost of hiring a private criminal defense attorney can vary depending on the exact charge, whether or not the person has priors and of course according to the attorney. In Hawaii, a first time, simple DUI/OVUII, can possibly run anywhere from $1,500 on up, depending on what services you engage the attorney for.
    Answer Applies to: Hawaii
    Law Office of Cotter C. Conway
    Law Office of Cotter C. Conway | Cotter C. Conway
    It varies. It all depends on the facts of the case. Some charge fees as low as $1,500 but it could be much higher. Take advantage of a free consultation that most defense attorneys offer.
    While I don't and most other lawyers don't quote prices on the Internet, I can tell you it would be best for you to retain the best lawyer you can find to fight your DUI. The reason is because it can and will make a big difference who you have representing you in such a case - especially if you're actually innocent. Then it's even more important to win your case and that means getting the best lawyer who has the most experience in such matters. Fees can be charged in a number of different ways and the best lawyers usually cost the most money. However, when your lawyer helps you win your case, you can then sue the county and state for false arrest and a number of other things to recoup what you've spent on your defense. That's usually done as a civil rights action.
    Fight? Meaning take it all the way to trial to prove your innocence at any cost? Quite a bit.
    Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law
    Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law | Jules Fiani
    You need to hire a lawyer like myself that specializes in drunk driving cases. As one of Michigan's most experienced drunk driving defense lawyers, I recommend that you hire a lawyer like myself with great experience and reviews.
    Law Office of James E. Smith
    Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
    It costs between $1,500 to $3,000 to fight a DUI.
    Mercado & Hartung
    Mercado & Hartung | Stephanie Hartung
    The cost of fighting a DUI will depend on the lawyer you choose to represent you. DUI attorneys charge a flat rate for representation and that rate is based on the facts of the case, location, and your criminal history. You will find a wide range of prices. It is important that you find an experienced DUI attorney that listens to you and that you feel comfortable with. I offer free consultations and would be happy to discuss your case with you and give you a better idea of what type of fee you are looking at. I know how absolutely frustrating it can be to be accused with DUI, especially when you are not actually drunk. Best of luck.
    The costs for representation may depend on the facts of the case. On a typical first offense in Minnnesota wheer your Blood Alcohol Content was tested to be under .20, you would be charged with a fourth degree offense. This is still serious and carries with it maximum criminal penalties of up to 90 days in jail and a $1000 fine. If convicted any subsequent DWI offense would be much more serious and with four offenses in ten years, you can be charged with a felony. As a result, as strong defense on the first alleged incident can be critical to your future. Different Judges give different sentences. Accordingly, understanding your Judge and knowing how to change Judge's can be an important part of the process.

There is also a civil case that results in the revocation of your driver's license. On a first offense over your lifetime, you may be revoked for 30 to 90 days. This is a separate case even though the challenges are largely the same. In order to challenge your license revocation, you must seek a judicial review by filing a petition within 30 days of the offense. Do not forget this critical time period. All too often people with strong defenses come to me too late to challenge the license revocation. The end result goes well beyond simply having your license revoked. A failure to challenge results in an Implied Consent violation on your record which can also affect employment and may be used to enhance any subsequent DWI offense.

There are many challenges to a DWI. Officers must follow very specific steps as part of the arrest. If any one step is missing, the case may be dismissed.
    Law Office of Rankin Johnson IV, LLC
    Law Office of Rankin Johnson IV, LLC | Rankin Johnson IV
    You're entitled to fight. Plead not guilty, turn down diversion, and go to trial. The right to a jury trial is so important that it's enshrined in the constitution. If you can't afford counsel, the court will appoint counsel. If you can afford counsel, hire someone, preferably someone who does a lot of DUII defense. Don't assume that the court-appointed lawyer is a bad choice, because some of the best trial lawyers are public defenders. They get a lot of practice. If you hire counsel, expect to spend several thousand dollars at a minimum, and it could be substantially more. For most first-time offenders, diversion is the right choice. With diversion, the court will dismiss the charges if you do treatment and jump through some hoops. That's a good choice even if you aren't guilty or have a good chance at trial, because nearly any trial can be lost through bad luck, a bad lawyer, a few bad jurors, or something else outside your control. A lawyer should be able to tell you a little more about the odds, but even the best lawyer is guessing. It's your choice, and if you are simply unwilling to plead guilty and agree to treatment, then go to trial. I wish you the best of luck.
    Law Office of Kyle T. Green, PLLC
    Law Office of Kyle T. Green, PLLC | Kyle T. Green
    My firm handles DUI cases for $3000. You can probably find firms that will represent you anywhere from $2500 to $7500.
    Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
    Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
    If I knew your blood alcohol level I could tell you if the case is worth fighting. If the level is below .08 the D.A. will probably dismiss or offer a reduced charge. To hire a lawyer to settle deal with the D.A. it will normally be about $2500. To put on a Jury Trial, including hiring an expert witness, about $7000.
    The Law Firm of Aaron Bortel Esq.
    The Law Firm of Aaron Bortel Esq. | Aaron Bortel
    Good Lawyers are not cheap, but the cost of a DUI conviction can last a lifetime. A full consultation is best before a price is quoted.
    Just because you were arrested does not mean you will be charged. The DA has until your court date to decide whether to issue the case. If your chemical results show that you were not intoxicated there is a good chance that the case will not issue. An attorney can check for you when the court date gets closer to see if the case has been issued. Our office generally charges $2K for a DUI (not including trial.) Feel free to call if you would like to discuss your case free of charge. Good luck.
    Kevin Smith, Attorney at Law
    Kevin Smith, Attorney at Law | Kevin Smith
    You will have two separate proceedings where you can fight: the DMV Per Se hearing and the Superior Court where the criminal charges will be processed. You should fight at both, as you can save your license from suspension and your criminal record. Look for an attorney experienced in DUI defense who will fight in both forums. Don't hire someone who says "We'll just get you a program," referring to the Alcohol Education Program, which results in a dismissal but stays on your driving record 7 years. Fight, fight, fight. And then fight some more, because otherwise you are sure to lose.
    Sharifi & Baron
    Sharifi & Baron | S. Yossof Sharifi
    Hire an attorney. DUI's are very legally and scientifically complex. Most criminal defense attorneys are not trained well enough to handle them. Get somebody that's had some training and defends them frequently.
    Karmali Law Office, PLLC
    Karmali Law Office, PLLC | Hussein Karmali
    This is certainly a matter that requires a consultation to determine costs of representation, since all DUI cases are different in facts and circumstances,
    Rothstein Law PLLC
    Rothstein Law PLLC | Eric Rothstein
    It depends on the facts, your past record and if you plan to go to trial. I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense including DWI. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me.
    Law Offices of Scott G. Hilderman
    Law Offices of Scott G. Hilderman | Scott G. Hilderman
    You need to hire a lawyer. You will need to contact a lawyer and discuss his fees with him/her. Typically, a quality DUI Defense in Montana will start at $2500.
    Answer Applies to: Montana
12 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney