How much does it cost for a criminal appeal a possession of a weapon in the third degree charge? 5 Answers as of July 11, 2013

My friend was convicted of 1 count of possession of a weapon in the third degree, how much would it cost for an appeal and how long does it take?

I would need much more information such as was there a trial and if so how many days did it take and how many pages is the trial transcript and of course the details of the case. The defendant must file a notice of appeal within 30 days ( 10 if in Federal court ) of the conviction. Then the defendant must perfect the appeal by filing multiple copies of the record and brief and then the prosecution gets time to file their brief and then the court decides the appeal It takes several months for the briefs to be filed and then several months for the court to decide the appeal. There is a cost for the transcript which is separate from the attorney's fee which varies depending on the case. An analogy re price could be made that the answer to how much it costs is the same as the answer to How much does a car cost- that depends on many factors such a s what kind of car, new , used etc.
Gonzalez Law Associates P.C.
Gonzalez Law Associates P.C. | Carlos Gonzalez
Appeals are generally expensive. We ask for $10,000 to start. Unless it's a federal case, then it's over $15,000 to start.
To appeal a misdemeanor trial the fee can range from $5,000 to $10,000. For a felony it ranges from $$10,000 to $25,000, but every attorney will have a different fee and some do not take payments. Most will require at least half up front. The appeal can take 6 months or more to be argued and heard by the court, the decision should be made within 9 months.
An appeal can take about a year. It can be very costly. The entire record must be reproduced, legal research performed, briefs drafted. Many thousands of dollars.
Rothstein Law PLLC
Rothstein Law PLLC | Eric Rothstein
I am a former federal and state prosecutor and now handle criminal defense including appeals. The cost is a function of how large the record is (hearing and trial transcript).