How much does it cause to expunge a DUI? 55 Answers as of March 06, 2012

I have a DUI record during college. I am being interviewed by an international company. I am worried this will affect my chances of getting in. How can I get my records clean? How much does it cause to expunge a DUI? Do you have any tips for a faster resolution?

Attorneys who do expungements decide what their services are worth and charge accordingly. There is no set fee for this service. There usually is a court fee to file the expungement papers in addition to the attorney fee.
A DUI conviction cannot be expunged because the penalties increase for subsequent convictions. If you record were expunged of the DUI, a court would not know whether a subsequent DUI was a first time offense or a second time offense.
Aaron Black Law
Aaron Black Law | Aaron Black
In Arizona you cannot expunge a DUI.
Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
Cynthia Henley, Lawyer | Cynthia Henley
A record cannot be expunged if it resulted in a conviction. The cost to expunge is based on the attorney fees and the filing and service fees. Contact several lawyers in your are to determine their fees. Generally you can get it done for less than $2,000.
You can't expunge driving offenses.
    Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC
    Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC | Jacob Peter Sartz IV
    Unless the original conviction involved some type of appeal or serious issue with the process, Michigan law does not currently allow an individual to expunge a past traffic offense. Generally speaking, judges have broad authority to set-aside convictions in some rare situations. However, the most common law that people use to request that a court set-aside a past conviction because of good behavior and rehabilitation specifically excludes traffic offenses.
    Salladay Law Office | Lance Salladay
    Idaho does not allow for an expungement of a criminal record.
    You cannot get a DUI expunged. I have been very successful at having them set aside and it normally takes about 3 weeks.
    If you have successfully completed probation, you should be able to get an expungement in about a month's time. Our office charges $1500 and does them often.
    The Law Firm of Aaron Bortel Esq.
    The Law Firm of Aaron Bortel Esq. | Aaron Bortel
    If the case is expunged, your record will show the arrest, conviction, and that the conviction has been dismissed. There are limitations to an expungement under penal code section 1203.4 which you need to be aware of when filling out work applications.
    Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
    $400.00 an hour for legal counsel.
    Brucar & Yetter, P.C.
    Brucar & Yetter, P.C. | Wayne Brucar
    You cannot expunge a DUI.
    Attorney at Law | Ernest Krause
    Google using appropriate search terms. Eventually you will find a form and instructions. Call the county court clerk for criminal cases and ask about an expedited process.
    Mark Thiessen, Attorney at Law
    Mark Thiessen, Attorney at Law | Mark Thiessen
    We charge $2500 for an expunction.
    Connell-Savela
    Connell-Savela | Jason Savela
    DUI convictions cannot be expunged or sealed in Colorado if it was a baby dui (BAC under .05 and person under 21), then you can get it expunged it is best to come clean with the company if you cannot get it expunged. it was a stupid mistake and i have learned a lot. they will find out about it and it will hurt you worse if you did not tell them.
    Law Office of Patrick Lewis, LLC | Patrick M. Lewis
    Whether you can expundge a dui in Kansas is not a simple question. The law is not completely settled on when the petition can be filed. Some judges will say three years and others will say ten. Apparently the legislature is attempting to clean up the language this session. We'll see if they do. There is a filing fee to file the petition with the court. You can do it yourself or hire an attorney. Attorney fees will vary greatly from one attorney to another and from one region of the state to another. Do not talk with anyone other than your attorney about the facts. What you say, or post, to anyone else could be used against you.
    Robert Mortland
    Robert Mortland | Law Office of Robert Mortland
    You can always do this yourself and save the money (only pay the filing fee). An attorney would charge anywhere from $200 (low) to $1500 (high). Some may attempt to charge even more than that.
    Costs of expungement of a DUI vary with the facts and the attorney you get a quote from. Talk with several attorneys and take advantage of the free consultation to shop around.
    You can't expunge that DUI.
    Healan Law Offices
    Healan Law Offices | William D. Healan, III
    You can't expunge a DUI conviction.
    Law Offices of Kate Mesic, PA
    Law Offices of Kate Mesic, PA | Kate L. Mesic
    In the State of Florida, once you have been convicted of a crime, it cannot be sealed or expunged. In the case of DUIs in particular, there is not option to withhold adjudication, so there is no way to seal the record.
    DeVito & Visconti, PA
    DeVito & Visconti, PA | John E DeVito
    Massachusetts does not allow for the expungement of a criminal record unless it involved identiy fraud.? In your case if the OUI is more that 10 years old you can have the matter sealed in a matter of weeks. Effective May of 2012 the sealing will be permitted after 5 years of the closure of the case. The cost is less than $750. If the matter is less than 10 years old you have to proceed by way of a motion?to seal before the court.That is time consuming and far more expensive $2500+.
    If you are eligible for expungement, I charge $750 plus court cost. However, you most likely are not eligible, expungement means you were acquitted. If you were put on deferred adjudication you can ask for a non-disclosure order, I charge $1000 plus cost for that one (plan $450-500 in court and service fees) other attorneys charge different rates, but I know I am in line with the customary rates in my area. There is a $200 fee to review the case and determine eligibility. If you are eligible for either, that amount applies towards the overall case, and you would owe the balance.
    H. Scott Basham, Attorney at Law, P.C. | H. Scott Basham
    It doesn't cost much, but most prosecutors won't agree to expunge a DUI. You need to contact the prosecutor's office who handled your case.
    Ayodele M. Ojo & Associates
    Ayodele M. Ojo & Associates | Ayodele Mayowa Ojo
    Most States will not allow you to expunge a DWI record, because it is enhanceable offense, which means the State needs to know if you have prior records to determine your level of punishments the next time you are caught. But if it has been more than ten years, you may get it done. You may want to get a local criminal attorney who may be able to persuade a judge to grant your petition.
    I get asked this question more than any other and I wish Incould get convictions erased but New York State does not have an expungement statute. You will have the conviction forever and it can never be removed. The only way to attack a conviction is to make a 440.10 motion to vacate it if it was illegal or somehow improper. This would be very rare and require proper grounds.
    McClendon Owens Melia McBreen LLP
    McClendon Owens Melia McBreen LLP | Richard L. McBreen III
    Unfortunately, DUII charges are not expungeable in Oregon.
    A DUI conviction will not be expunged.
    Law Office of Charles J. Block
    Law Office of Charles J. Block | Charles J. Block
    You cannot expunge a DUI.
    Fagan, Fagan & Davis
    Fagan, Fagan & Davis | Steven H. Fagan
    If you were found guilty, your case is not eligible for expungement. If you were acquitted or the case was dismissed, you may be eligible. Attorneys fees will vary, but typical costs in Cook county will run about $120.
    I am sorry to be the one to tell you that there is no expungement in the State of New York.
    It can't be done. A DUI is forever.
    Law Office of Ronald Aronds, LLC
    Law Office of Ronald Aronds, LLC | Ronald Aronds
    You cannot expunge a DUI record. It is not a criminal conviction. It is a traffic conviction that stays on your driving record forever.
    Dungan, Lady, Kirkpatrick & Dungan PLLC | Michael Dungan
    A DUI cannot be expunged period.
    How can I get my records clean? You can't. Some CA convictions like DUI can be 'expunged' from criminal records by proper application and Petition to the court, but ONLY IF there was no felony prison time sentenced whether served or not, and if all terms of sentencing and at least one year of probation are completed, and if there are no new charges pending. Sounds like you qualify. If successful, the conviction would be withdrawn and the charges dismissed. Expungement does NOT ?clear?, 'remove' or ?erase? the conviction, but does change the record to show 'conviction reversed and dismissed by expungement'. It doesn?t ?disappear?. The conviction is still a 'prior' or 'strike' for purposes of repeat offense. It still shows on your record that is accessible to government agencies, law enforcement and the courts, such as through LiveScan. Expungement will help in obtaining and keeping employment. When applying for a job in the private sector, in response to any question concerning your prior criminal record, you may deny that you were arrested or convicted of the offense.
    Glass Defense Firm
    Glass Defense Firm | Jason M. Glass
    A DUI conviction cannot be expunged in WV.
    Answer Applies to: West Virginia
    Miller & Harrison, LLC
    Miller & Harrison, LLC | David Harrison
    The only cases that can be sealed in Colorado are cases that ended up totally dismissed. If the DUI did not get completely dismissed, you cannot remove the references to it on public records.
    There is no expungement law in the State of Alabama at this time.
    The Law Office of Stephanie M. Arrache
    The Law Office of Stephanie M. Arrache | Stephanie Arrache
    There are services out there that charge $150 to $250 to write a motion. I wouldn't trust this quality of work, and they won't go to court, file it or argue it for you. I would suggest consulting a few local attorneys in your area who do expungements. Most criminal firms do them. And many, like myself, offer free consultations.
    Gutin and Wolverton
    Gutin and Wolverton | Harley Gutin
    I don't believe you can expunge a DUI.
    Rhoades & Miller, LLP
    Rhoades & Miller, LLP | M. Jason Rhoades
    Under current Georgia law, a DUI conviction can not be expunged.
    If you live in Illinois, it will cost you nothing to expunge that DUI, if you were convicted of it, or even got supervision. The reason is that you cannot get an expungement for a DUI under any circumstances, short of having beat the case outright, or having the charges completely dismissed before a trial.
    Edward A. Kroll, Attorney at Law
    Edward A. Kroll, Attorney at Law | Edward A. Kroll
    If your DUI conviction is from Oregon, then it cannot be expunged. Period. Oregon law does not allow DUIs or other traffic crimes to be expunged. There are no exceptions.
    Law Office of Thomas A. Medford, Jr., PC
    Law Office of Thomas A. Medford, Jr., PC | Thomas A. Medford, Jr.
    There is no automatic right to have a DUI arrest expunged and you should consult with an attorney skilled in representing people charged with DUI.
    Answer Applies to: District of Columbia
    It may be possible to get the process sped up a bit if you have an Attorney handle petitioning the Court for expungement. Attorneys fees can vary, but for a first offense DUI expungement, I charge $800.
    Betts Legal Services
    Betts Legal Services | Shawn M. Betts
    DWI's are not expungement eligible in Minnesota.
    The Short Law Group, P.C.
    The Short Law Group, P.C. | Shawn Kollie
    Unfortunately, a DUI is considered a 'traffic infraction' under Oregon law and is therefore not expungable.
    The Law Offices of Harold L. Wallin | Harold L. Wallin
    You cannot expunge a DUI, unless it was dismissed, or you were found not guilty.
    Correia-Champa & Mailhot
    Correia-Champa & Mailhot | Susan Correia Champa
    It is very difficult to get a record expunged. You can ask the court to seal your record. However that as well is a difficult process. I suggest you contact an attorney.
    Law Offices of Shaun R. Marks, P.C.
    Law Offices of Shaun R. Marks, P.C. | Shaun Marks
    You cannot expunge a drinking and driving offense.
    Harden Law Offices
    Harden Law Offices | Leonard D. Harden
    You must wait for 10 years to annul a record of a DWI. The court fees are 300 and there is no way to expedite. Most criminal defense lawyers will assist for a modest fee but you can do it on your own.
    Lykins Law | Gerald Lykins
    If the conviction was here in Michigan, then expungement is not possible. Traffic offenses are explicitly excluded from the expungement statute. Sorry.
12 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney