How much does guardianship cost? 14 Answers as of March 11, 2013

I was wondering how much guardianship would cost? I need this for my father. He has no living will and sure I can’t get power of attorney due to the fact that he has Alzheimer's. Is there anything I could do?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Alison Elle Aleman, Attorney & Counselor at Law
Alison Elle Aleman, Attorney & Counselor at Law | Alison Elle Aleman
You will need to petition the court for a conservator ship, not guardianship. It will cost a filing fee in that state. It is also advisable to find an attorney who can assist in filing this paperwork, because the papers are technical and an attorney will know how to draft them for you. You can contact your local legal aid or county bar association, and perhaps they can assist you with some names of attorneys who can help for reduced rates.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/11/2013
Anteski Law Firm | June Anteski
Attorneys charge different rates and require different amounts to be paid up front in what is called a retainer. You need to call around to see how much each attorney in your area charges for a retainer so that you can hire one to help you with your case as soon as possible.
Answer Applies to: Arkansas
Replied: 3/8/2013
Peters Law, PLLC
Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
It may not cost too much. You file the petition for guardianship and conservatorship. Find out from the court the cost of that. You ask to be appointed. Make sure that any wife, children, brother or sisters are identified and served notice. It is best to have all of them sign consents to your appointment and rejections of the option to be appointed. The court will appoint a guardian ad litem to be your father's attorney, a court visitor and a doctor for an evaluation. Typically the doctor will be the person treating your father. You will need to pay for those 3 professionals. Assuming they all agree and your father needs a guardian, you should be appointed fairly quickly. So, it could be anywhere from $1000 to $2000 depending on all of the factors. Maybe less than $1000 if it is a straightforward case. However, it is probably better if you get a lawyer to help you.
Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 3/7/2013
John E. Kirchner, Attorney at Law
John E. Kirchner, Attorney at Law | John Kirchner
There is no simple answer to your question, partly because the cost won't be the same in every city or state. And, it won't be the same in one city because every lawyer may have a different billing arrangement or hourly rate. You simply need to contact several attorney who can give you more realistic estimates based on the actually situation.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 3/7/2013
Reger Rizzo & Darnall LLP | Kathleen DeLacy
You must petition the Court of Chancery to file for guardianship of his person and property. Filing fees are around $100, I believe.
Answer Applies to: Delaware
Replied: 3/7/2013
    Carey and Leisure | John Smitten
    Can be expensive as the court will appoint an examining committee and you need a lawyer. $5,000 to start.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 3/7/2013
    Diefer Law Group, P.C.
    Diefer Law Group, P.C. | Abel Fernandez
    It depends on whether you hire an attorney and how complex your case is. If you just look at costs, in California you will have about $500 in costs. If you hire an attorney, you can spend about $3000 or more on a simple case. If you don't have money, you could file a fee waiver with the court to waive the filing fees but you would have to do all of this on your own without an attorney if you cannot pay for one.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 3/7/2013
    John Russo | John Russo
    You need to open a probate action to obtain a guardianship, he needs to be declared incompetent, as far as cost that is on an attorney by attorney bases, but if it goes easily should be in the $1,000.00 -$1,500.00 plus cost range, possibly less.
    Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
    Replied: 3/7/2013
    You need a conservatorship of him. There are filing fees and a fee for the investigation (check your court's web site). There may be a free clinic to help you. An attorney would probably charge around $3,000.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 3/7/2013
    Dennis P. Mikko Attorney at Law | Dennis P. Mikko
    Guardianship allows you to make decision for the person. An example would be placing your father in an adult foster care home. If you also need to make decisions regarding his assets, you would need to be appointed conservator as well. There would be a $150 filing fee for each. Attorney fees will vary depending on the manner in which an attorney agrees to handle the case. Some attorneys may work on a flat fee while others may charge an hourly rate. You may wish to contact more than one attorney to inquire as to their fees.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 3/7/2013
    John H. Sibbison III, Professional Law Corporation | John Sibbison
    What you need is a conservatorship and not a guardianship. Attorneys charge different fees but a conservatorship has costs involved such as filing fees and investigator fees that will push your total costs up.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 3/7/2013
    Gateway Legal Group | Christian J. Albut
    You can get a conservator ship. The cost will range depending on what needs to be done and what type you are looking for. It sounds like you would need to become a conservator over the person and estate which could range from $2,500.00 and up not including the court and investigation fees if needed.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 3/7/2013
    Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
    Yes, you can file for adult guardianship over him. There is a filing fee. It is something you may be able to do. The court should provide you with the form and instructions. If you sought help from an attorney, depending on your area and the law firm, no more than $750.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 3/7/2013
    The Davies Law Firm, P.A.
    The Davies Law Firm, P.A. | Robert F. Davies, Esq.
    You may need a guardianship. The cost depends on how much work the attorney is going to have to do.
    Answer Applies to: New Jersey
    Replied: 3/7/2013
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney