How much does bankruptcy cost? 15 Answers as of March 08, 2011

I'm thinking of filing for bankruptcy. How much does it cost?

David R. Fondren, Attorney at Law
David R. Fondren, Attorney at Law | David R. Fondren
depends on your case, jurisdiction, attorney, issues, etc. You need to call some attorneys in your area and ask them.
Law Offices of Dennis Baranowski
Law Offices of Dennis Baranowski | Dennis Baranowski
The cost of a bankruptcy can vary greatly depending on the type of case you file and the complexity of your individual case. The filing fee for a Chapter 7 bankruptcy is $299 and you are required to complete two courses with a combined cost of $70 - $90. The filing fee for Chapter 13 bankruptcy is $274 and you are required to complete a pre-filing course that costs around $50. At the end of the plan you will also be required to complete a second course but many Chapter 13 trustees provide the course at no cost. Many attorneys provide a free consult, so it would be worth your time to meet with a couple to obtain an idea of how much it will cost to file, as well as determine whether or not you feel comfortable with the attorney that will be assisting you.
Bankruptcy Law Center
Bankruptcy Law Center | Bill Zurinskas
APPPLIES TO COLORADO BANKRUPTCIES: The average cost of a chapter 7 bankruptcy in Colorado is $1500 ($1200 attorney fees, plus $299 filing fee). If the case is a below average case (an easy case) attorney fees can be as low as $600. Business chapter 7's can be much more expensive, as well as cases with means test or other problems. The starting costs of chapter 13 bankruptcy is usually $3300 attorney fees, plus $276 filing fee. It is rare for experienced counsel to charge below said fees, but the down payment for filing chapter 13 differs greatly. Always ask your bankruptcy attorney what the total chapter 13 fees will be, as well as how much you have to pay down. If you are quoted a price of $1200 by an attorney, that usually refers to the down payment (not the total price).
Greifendorff Law Offices, PC
Greifendorff Law Offices, PC | Christine Wilton
Depending on which chapter you file, you have credit counseling from $5 - $50, filing fees either $274 or $299, and a financial management course from $50 at minimum. Then, depending on whether you hire a petition preparer and/or an attorney, the costs can go up. Remember that only an attorney can provide legal advice, answer questions about what information should be included in your bankruptcy papers, and advise whether bankruptcy is right for you and which chapter to file. Most bankruptcy lawyers offer FREE consultations.
Filing fee is $299. Attorney fees vary fron state to state $500.00 to $2500
    Gus Johnson Attorney at Law
    Gus Johnson Attorney at Law | Gus Johnson
    You should be ale to call local attorneys and get that information.
    Answer Applies to: South Dakota
    Cohen & Kendziorra, P.A.
    Cohen & Kendziorra, P.A. | Robert S. Cohen
    It depends on what chapter you want to file and can vary among bankruptcy attorneys. Generally, a chapter 7 bankruptcy can be around $1500.00 and a chapter 13 can be as high as $3500.00.
    Uriarte & Wood, Attorneys at Law
    Uriarte & Wood, Attorneys at Law | Robert G. Uriarte
    Depending on your situation and the complexity of your case fees can range between 1,200 to $3,000, In some cases even higher. The filing fee is separate and is currently 299.00 for a chapter 7. You can find some services that charge less, but it may not include an attorney appearing with you at the first meeting of creditors. You are well served to pay a little more and make sure it gets done properly so your case does not get dismissed.
    That depends. Where I practice the court allowed for for Chapter 13 is $4,000.00. I require $2,000.00 up front and the filing fee ($274.00). The other $2,000.00 in I put in the plan. The trustee then pays me when the client makes a payment to the plan. I also charge a separate fee for stripping off liens. That fee also goes in the plan. My basic fee for a basic simple Chapter 7 is $900.00 plus the filing fee of $299.00. Some cases cost more. Unfortunately the amount of the fee charged by the lawyer has nothing to do with the quality of the work. Make sure you hire a lawyer that is experienced, especially if you are considering a Chapter 13. I have been practicing bankruptcy since 1989. It is all I do, so we are very efficient and getting cased filed and completed.
    Ursula G. Barrios Law
    Ursula G. Barrios Law | Guillermo Machado
    Filing fees with court are under $300. Attorney fees range from $700 and up.
    The court filing fee is $299 for a chapter 7. If you are looking for an attorney to assist you, please contact me for a free consultation.
    Every attorney charges a different amount. Chapter 7 that wipes out all unsecured type debt is around $1,550.00. That includes court costs, fees and credit counseling. Chapter 13 which puts you in a 3-5 year payment plan is paid into the plan. You do not pay the money up front, although the amount of fees are based on the plan. The type of debt determines which chapter you should do.

The information provided on this website is for general information purposes only. The attorney is licensed in the State of Alabama. No answers or information on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information does not create an attorney-client relationship.
    The Carmichael Firm
    The Carmichael Firm | Booker Carmichael
    Depends on which chapter you file. Payment plans may be available. Please my office to discuss you options.
    The filing fees vary by chapter. Chapter 7 is $299; Chapter 13 is $274; Chapter 11 is $1,039. Attorneys fees are additional and vary depending on where you live and who you hire. Most attorneys will give a free consultation and give you a fee quote.
    If you file with an attorney, you can spend $1000 to $2000 depending on who you hire.

The court fee is $299. So if you file by yourself, then it will be about $300.