How much does an attorney charge to establish a trust? 28 Answers as of April 01, 2013

Goldsmith & Guymon | Dara Goldsmith
It depends upon the type of trust, how complicated the trust is, etc. There is no real answer. It is like asking how much is a steak? Well at Carl's Jr. a steak sandwich may be under $5.00, at Chili's a steak may be $15.00; at the grocery store it may be on sale for $7.00 per pound; and at Ruth Chris it may be $70.00. They are all steaks, but they are all different. Most attorneys draft comprehensive estate plans. You should contact some attorneys in your area to get quotes and information on what is included. Best of luck to you.
Durham Jones & Pinegar | Erven Nelson
There are different kinds of trust. For a living trust, a Nevada lawyer will charge around $1,500 for one person, and $1,800 for a married couple. That would include the trust, wills, powers of attorney, etc. A Nevada asset protection trust is different, and would cost around $5,000. I can help you find good attorneys.
Alison Elle Aleman, Attorney & Counselor at Law
Alison Elle Aleman, Attorney & Counselor at Law | Alison Elle Aleman
Most attorneys charge between $1,200 and $2,500 depending upon if it is single, for a couple, very simple or very complicated. My rate for single people is between $1,000 and $1,150 depending on the complication or degree of property involved. A trust for a couple is generally around $1,200 to $1,500. That is for a trust in California.
You will need to call around to determine the fees an attorney will charge for the trust only? Or an estate plan which consists of several additional documents. Just realize when attorneys are talking about trusts, they are talking about estate plans generally. So fees for just a trust only. Some attorneys charge flat fees and some attorneys such as myself charge on an hourly rate; you get what you pay for in this area of the law. Trusts versus estate plans? So be clear about this matter with the attorney.
Law Offices of Charles R. Perry
Law Offices of Charles R. Perry | Charles R. Perry
It all depends on the complexity of the trust, and how much time the lawyer must invest in the project. Each attorney sets his or her own rates. To create a parallel, your question is like asking how much a dealer charges for a car. It all depends.
    Frederick & Frederick PLC | James P Frederick
    I charge anywhere from $750 to $1,500, depending on facts and circumstances. It normally takes about 6-8 hours worth of work to put together a trust package.
    Irsfeld, Irsfeld & Younger LLP | Norman H. Green
    Varies from $800 to $3,800 depending on facts and circumstances, nature of the trust, etc.
    Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C.
    Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C. | Brian Haggerty
    It depends some have a flat fee, some charge by the hour. "Establishing" a trust can include just drafting documents, or it can include transferring all the assets to the trust as well, which can entail a substantial amount of time. In general, a trust will cost more than a will, in terms of the initial drafting.
    Lampton Law Firm LLC | Norman Lampton
    An attorney's fees are a matter of contract between the parties. This site is not a substitute for actual competent legal counsel.
    James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
    James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
    It depends upon the complexity of the trust. Usually about $1-2K But funding the trust can get expensive.
    Law Office of Pamela Braynon | Pamela Y. Braynon
    It would depend on the attorney. Some attorneys may charge a flat fee for a trust. Others may charge an hourly fee. So depending on the experience of the attorney establishing a trust can be, by my estimate, from $500.00-3,000.00.
    O'Keefe Legal Services, L.L.C.
    O'Keefe Legal Services, L.L.C. | Sean P. O'Keefe
    In Maryland, the fee for an attorney's service should be a reasonable fee (see MD Lawyer's Rules of Professional Conduct, Rule 1.5 Fees). Factors to help determine the reasonableness of a fee include: (1) the time and labor required, the novelty and difficulty of the questions involved, and the skill requisite to perform the legal service properly; (2) the likelihood, if apparent to the client, that the acceptance of the particular employment will preclude other employment of the lawyer; (3) the fee customarily charged in the locality for similar legal services; (4) the amount involved and the results obtained; (5) the time limitations imposed by the client or by the circumstances; (6) the nature and length of the professional relationship with the client; (7) the experience, reputation, and ability of the lawyer or lawyers performing the services; and (8) whether the fee is fixed or contingent.
    Depends on the attorney and what type of trust it is. Call the Idaho State Bar and ask for a few names and call them. If you are looking for a revocable living trust to save on probate, that is generally unnecessary in Idaho. Ask about that as well.
    Huddleston Law Group, LPA | C L Huddleston
    The cost will be anywhere from $1,000 to $10,000 or more. It is a function of the size and complexity of the estate, the goals of the client and the scope and quality of a wide variety of ancillary documents including powers of attorney of various kinds, health care documents, organizing materials and whether the services include assistance with "funding" the trust. In our firm, almost all our comprehensive living trust-based estate plans are between $2,800 and $7,500, plus the cost of real estate transfers and other "specialty" issues. If you are talking about Medicaid or VA gifting plans, most Elder Law attorneys seem to charge between $8,500 and $10,000 in the big cities. But whatever you do, don't try to save money by working with a general practitioner. Work with a Certified Specialist who does this type of work all day, every day.
    Asset Protection and Elder Law Center
    Asset Protection and Elder Law Center | Shadi Alai-Shaffer
    That really depends on a variety of factors. What are your estate needs? Do you have a lot of different assets, property, a business, etc? Do you have kids, are their children from a prior marriage, etc. Generally speaking, a full comprehensive estate plan that includes a Trust, Will, Power of Attorney for Finances, Healthcare Power of Attorney, Living Will, HIPAA, Property Agreements, Personal Property Agreement, Certificate of Trust, and includes FUNDING (this is very important), with a reputable established firm or attorney the focuses on estate planning will cost anywhere from $1,500 to an average cost of $2,500. Don't forget you can find the above for less, so it just depends on what else you are getting. Also, in life you always get what you pay for so please do not make short cuts with your estate, assets, your family, and your life! This is so important and if it is not done properly you will pay 10X this amount later.
    Each attorney set his or her own rates if they are a solo practitioner; the partners set the rates for attorneys employed by a firm. These rates are usually hourly although some attorneys have flat fees for certain types of jobs .
    It depends upon the complexity of the trust.
    Kokish & Goldmanis, P.C.
    Kokish & Goldmanis, P.C. | Bernard H. Greenberg
    There is no one set charge for "a trust". That is because there are approximately 437 different types of trusts. What you should do is consult with an attorney who specializes in trusts and get a firm bid on what type of estate plan best suits your objectives and needs.
    THE BROOME LAW FIRM, LLC
    THE BROOME LAW FIRM, LLC | Barry D. Broome
    $500-1,200. It all depends on the type of trust and if tax planning is done.
    James Law Group
    James Law Group | Christine James
    Every attorney has a different price. My office charges $995. Many attorneys charge $1,200-$1,500. Some charge more.
    Martin Barnes - Attorney at Law
    Martin Barnes - Attorney at Law | Martin Barnes
    I can't answer for other attorneys. I can tell you that my fees are hourly. So the fee for preparing a trust is variable and is time dependent. The time spent preparing a trust is dependent upon the particular objective my client wants to achieve and the complexity needed to accomplish those objectives. At the risk of sounding cavalier, asking a lawyer how much they charge for a trust is a little like asking a mechanic how much he charges to fix your car. Both are very dependent upon the time and complexity involved in the task. Just as some car repairs are fairly straightforward - so are some trusts. Similarly, just as some car repairs are highly complex and require a good deal of effort, certain trusts can also be very involved. Be sure to choose an attorney that helps you understand the options available for achieving your objective and explains fees in terms that fit your specific needs.
    Kram & Wooster, P.S. | Richard H. Wooster
    It varies depending upon the purpose for the trust and how complicated the plans are and whether the attorney is also being requested to provide tax advise on the implications of the trust. Most attorneys in the Tacoma area bill between $250.00 and 350.00 an hour. It usually takes 1-2 hours for the initial meeting to explore the client's objectives for the trust and related issues such as fraudulent transfers, taxes, management of the trust, etc. Is the trust a current trust or a springing trust, meaning one that only goes into effect in the event of a future event. Are there items of real estate to transfer to the trust, etc. Then typically a trust document can be prepared in a few hours, unless there is a lot of property to transfer into the trust or other factors.
    Law Office of Nathaniel Landman | Nathaniel Landman
    Charges depend on the type of trust and what is involved in the planning and family. Estate Planning is a process not document production. Meeting with an attorney allows you to receive all the information pertaining to what is best for your individual situation. Sometimes trusts are not needed. Other times complex plans are needed. Meeting with an attorney will help you determine your needs and how best to address them.
    Reger Rizzo & Darnall LLP | Kathleen DeLacy
    It depends on the number of people, the type of trust and what other documents you want to go with it. It can be anywhere between $500 and $5000.
    Answer Applies to: Delaware
    Law Offices of Phillip Day
    Law Offices of Phillip Day | Phillip Day
    Anywhere from a few hundred dollars upwards of $10,000. Beware, you get what you pay for. A solid AB trust should average around $2000 plus or minus a few hundred dollars. It also depends on whether the lawyer works in an "ivory" tower with high rents and the experience level of the attorney. Bigger cities like New York and Miami will charge more and smaller towns will charge less. I have reviewed really good trusts that were on the lower end and really bad trusts on the higher end. At the end of the day, find an experienced estate planning attorney that understands all of the components of the trust and you should be okay. Don't go by price as that is deceptive.
    Randy M. Lish, Attorney at Law | Randy M. Lish
    It depends on the type of trust, the attorney, where you live, and how much tailoring you want done, among other things. The cheapest will probably be around $500, for a fill-in-the blank form trust. For a trust that really addresses your own personal circumstances, it will probably be more than that.
    Ben T. Liu Law Office
    Ben T. Liu Law Office | Ben T. Liu
    Some attorneys charge a flat fee and others charge by the hour. My rate is $150 an hour. I can give you an estimated fee once I know the facts of your case. Can be about $500 to thousands in a more complicated case. My services also include the funding of the trust.
    Law Office of Patricia A. Simmons
    Law Office of Patricia A. Simmons | Patrica A Simmons
    Each attorney sets his/her own fees. There is no set or standard fee. You should contact a few attorney to ascertain what the average rate is in your area.