How much do I have to pay for my wife? 18 Answers as of May 23, 2013

I just married my wife for five months. I already spend $30,000 on her. How much do I have to pay her if I am going to divorce her now?

Pay her for what? Hire a lawyer and get specific advise based on your facts. I have no idea what you are asking.
Law Office of Barton R. Resnicoff | Barton R. Resnicoff
There is no specific amount. If any assets were acquired during the marriage, they are subject to equitable distribution. Spousal support is based upon financial need; but, there are numerous factors that goven both equitable distribution, spousal support and counsel fees. Without more information, any answer is a guess. You need to sit down with an attorney to determine what your obligations may be.
Law Offices of Julie A. Ringquist | Julie A. Ringquist
You will want to consult with an attorney, but generally, spousal support is based on your income and her income and give her help until she can become self supporting. Given the short length of this marriage (5 months), spousal support may or may not be ordered as the judge has a great amount of discretion on how long temporary spousal support will last. It will depend on many circumstances, which you should go over with an attorney.
Maybe she should be paying you. See an attorney so he/she can ask you relevant questions about information you haven't provided.
Law Offices of Robert Stolzberg
Law Offices of Robert Stolzberg | Robert Stolzberg
Can't say without a lot more information.
    Hire an attorney.
    One half of any community property (including community funds) acquired during the marriage, and spousal support in an amount largely based on your income and her income, for 1/2 the duration of your marriage. You would best retain an experienced Family Law Attorney to advise and represent you in your divorce.
    If it was me nothing.
    Woods, May & Matlock, PC
    Woods, May & Matlock, PC | Robert J. Matlock
    The question is too broad to answer. I suggest you hire a lawyer to review all of the facts and provide you with legal advice.
    Victor Varga | Victor Varga
    Need more details.
    Nobody can answer that question without much more information. With such a short marriage, however, it would appear unlikely that there has been very much marital property acquired and it is unlikely that she would become entitled to a spousal support award of any size or duration. You need to consult an attorney in the state where you live to learn more about marital property, spousal support, and divorce procedures and your options.
    Dennis P. Mikko Attorney at Law | Dennis P. Mikko
    With a short term marriage, typically, the court will attempt to place the parties back in the position they were in prior to the marriage. Absent some unusual facts, you should not have to pay your wife anything more.
    Assuming that she is not pregnant, probably nothing. Spousal support is only given in Idaho in special circumstances. One of the factors considered is how long the marriage lasted. In this case, since it was only 5 months, there is a good likelihood that spousal support would not be awarded. This assumes that there are no other facts that would give rise to liability on your part.
    Kram & Wooster, P.S. | Richard H. Wooster
    That depends, do you have a prenuptial agreement, are their any children, did you acquire any assets together, did she have any assets, did you bring any assets into the marriage and did you keep them separate? You should speak with an attorney.
    Hmmm...let's see....how much to pay for your wife...never heard it put that way.... please, go talk to a lawyer and get some legal advice.
    LAW OFFICE OF ANNE B. HOWARD | Anne B. Howard
    Alimony should only be for 2 1/2 months. Depends on lots of factors as to how much.
    Elizabeth Jones, A Professional Corporation
    Elizabeth Jones, A Professional Corporation | Elizabeth Jones
    Probably not much. Spousal support is usually for 1/2 the length of marriage for anything under 10 years. Yours being only a matter of months may be near $0.
    It is impossible to tell from the information which you provided, but generally in a five-month marriage court will simply attempt to put the parties back into the same position they were before the marriage occurred unless there are some significant, but rare, circumstances which would make unfair.