How much is a credit card and utility bankruptcy cost? 22 Answers as of June 29, 2013

I am currently able to make my mortgage payments, and only have credit card debt of $20,000 and utilities of $2,000

Indianapolis Bankruptcy Law Office of Eric C. Lewis | Eric Lewis
The cost of bankruptcy depends on the complexity of your case to an attorney - not the amount or types of debt that you have.
Mercado & Hartung, PLLC | Christopher J. Mercado
You can't pick and choose which debts to bankruptcy. It's all or nothing.
Burton Green, Attorney | Burton Green
Your debt does not prevent you from filing bankruptcy. There is no statutory fee to be paid to an attorney. Those fees will depend on the attorney you hire. However, the filing fee paid to the bankruptcy clerk for the filing is the same no matter where you file: $306 for chapter 7 and $299 for chapter 13.
Attorney fees for bankruptcy vary from one attorney to another and vary as to locales. One option is to "fee shop" using the telephone. However, the amount of fees should not be the only consideration. The degree of personal service and expertise also varies. You can also check the local bar association for names. The State Bar has a list of certified specialists in your area.
Alvin Lundgren | Alvin Lundgren
You should try to work out a discounted payment to the CC company. They may negotiate with you. Avoid bankruptcy if you can.
    Law Office of D.L. Drain, P.A.
    Law Office of D.L. Drain, P.A. | Diane L. Drain
    I am not sure what your question is. But you are on the right track in that you are educating yourself about bankruptcy. Please understand that bankruptcy is a very complicated process. It is wise to talk to an experienced bankruptcy attorney before deciding to take this important step. Most Arizona bankruptcy attorneys offer a free consultation about the basics of bankruptcy.
    Debt Crushers
    Debt Crushers | Emily Chase Smith
    Bankruptcy costs are relative to the time the attorney believes it will take to complete the file. The level of debt is relevant, as are the assets. One of the other factors is income and how it's earned. Self-employment can be time consuming to present to the court. The most simple bankruptcies are where the parties are traditionally employed and the debts are credit cards or medical. Those are less expensive.
    CONSUMER PROTECTION ASSISTANCE COALITION, INC. (DE).
    CONSUMER PROTECTION ASSISTANCE COALITION, INC. (DE). | Gary Lee Lane
    Don't file bk for just that.
    Goldsmith & Guymon | Marjorie Guymon
    There is no such thing. Bankruptcy costs the same, regardless of your debt. It should cost your around $2500.
    Bankruptcies range in price. I think you can expect to pay approximately $1500 - $2000 in bankruptcy fees.
    The Martin Law Group
    The Martin Law Group | Yolvondra Martin-Brown
    Depending on your income and the amount of equity you have in your home, you may qualify to file a Chapter 7 bankruptcy. A Chapter 7 bankruptcy would discharge the debts owed to the credit card and utility companies.
    Neuhaus Law Office
    Neuhaus Law Office | Gregory M. Neuhaus
    Fees for Bankruptcy vary widely among attorneys. I would suggest you call several and ask for their range of fees.
    The Law Offices of Kristy Qiu
    The Law Offices of Kristy Qiu | Mengjun Qiu
    Utility bills might not be dischargeable. If you qualify for a chapter 7, the legal fees might range anywhere between $900 to $1800 plus $306 filing fee and credit report fee.
    How much you owe is not the determining factor in the cost of your bankruptcy. Shop around. I charge $900.00 plus the filing fee for a simple 7. I have an office, I'm not an "Internet lawyer" that you will never see. If there is a problem you can march right in here to talk about it.
    The Stockman Law Office | Mary Stockman Esq.
    You list all your assets and liabilities including credit card debt. You do not pick and choose. Now that being said, if you qualify for a chapter 7, then you may pay from $1200 to $2400 for bankruptcy representation + the filing fee of $306. My legal fee for a Chapter 7 is generally about $1200 - $!400.00. I give deserving people the opportunity to be represented by an experienced bankruptcy attorney at a reasonable/lower fee.
    Olson Law Firm | Edward M Olson
    Every law firm has their own fee policy. Ask the attorney you wish to hire.
    Gregory J. Wald, Attorney at Law
    Gregory J. Wald, Attorney at Law | Gregory J. Wald
    The court filing fee for Chapter 7 is $306.00. For Chapter 13 it is $281.00 For a quote on the attorney fee, there are a few more things that I would need to know about your situation.
    Hutchins Law, P.C.
    Hutchins Law, P.C. | Aaron Hutchins
    Cost of bankruptcy not determined by which debts you choose to include. It's a fixed, flat fee regardless of how many creditors you include.
    A better question is if, under your circumstances, filing bankruptcy is warranted. It is a big decision and has effect long into the future. I would seek counsel and advice prior to making a decision.
    Law Office of Pho Ethan Tran PLLC
    Law Office of Pho Ethan Tran PLLC | Pho Ethan Tran
    The court filing fee for bankruptcy is currently $306. Attorney fees normally range somewhere between $1500-2500.
    Moore Taylor Law Firm, P.A.
    Moore Taylor Law Firm, P.A. | Jane Downey
    Expect around $2500 for a simple chapter 7.
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A | R. Jason de Groot
    The filing fee for a chapter 7 is $306. Attorneys fees vary. You can file bankruptcy and keep the home as long as you pay the mortgage. You can get out of the credit card debt and most all other debt.