How much can creditors take from my wages? 24 Answers as of March 08, 2012

If I have 3 or 4 creditors with judgements against me, how much can they take out of my paycheck?

Ipson Law Firm, PLLC
Ipson Law Firm, PLLC | Michael Ipson
Only one can garnish at a time and they can take up to 25%.
Heupel Law
Heupel Law | Kevin Heupel
A creditor can garnish up to 25% of your wages for up to six months. If you have three to four creditors, then basically they'll garnish you until the debts are paid in full. It's a lot of money to lose so I'd recommend that you look at bankruptcy as an alternative.
Steven Harrell, Attorney at Law | Waymon Steven Harrell
Thirty times the federal minimum wage is protected by statute each week. Above this amount, they can garnish any weekly wages you make at a rate of 1/4 of your net weekly income.
Mercado & Hartung, PLLC | Christopher J. Mercado
Here in WA, 25% of your disposable income. Contact a local attorney for specifics.
Debt Relief Law Center | Roger J. Bus
If you file Chapter 7 bankruptcy, the garnishments on your paycheck must immediately stop. If you do not file bankruptcy, garnishments are based on a formula set by the Michigan legislature- which varies and is somewhat complicated. Basically, in a raw nutshell, creditors (unless it is a tax creditor) can garnish about 25% of your paycheck, but the first 30 hours based on minimal wage are exempt from garnishment. Caution: if you have funds sitting in a checking or savings account, all of it can be garnished.
    Wages can be garnished up to 25% of income. You can apply for an exemption to lower the garnishment. You also can consider a bankruptcy, such as a chapter 13 payment plan or chapter 7.
    Bird & VanDyke, Inc.
    Bird & VanDyke, Inc. | David VanDyke
    In most cases, ordinary creditors can only take a maximum of 25% of your net pay. If you have multiple creditors they may have to wait in line until the first one's are paid because the first creditor will satisfy the obligation at the max of 25% until paid and then the next creditor will start there garnsihment and so on.
    Paul Stuber, Attorney at Law
    Paul Stuber, Attorney at Law | Paul Stuber
    Here they are limited to 25% of your pay.
    Ferguson & Ferguson | Jackie Ferguson Graham
    They can only garnish one at a time. However they can take 25% of your net pay out of each check and can garnisht each bank account you have one time for all the funds in it.
    If the creditors do not include student loans, the IRS, and child support, it will be about 25%.
    Twin City Attorneys, P.A. | Amy B. Norberg
    The maximum a creditor can garnish from your paycheck is 25% of your net income. This does not mean EACH one can take 25%.
    Kenneth A. Parker, P.C.
    Kenneth A. Parker, P.C. | Ken Parker
    This answer applies in Georgia but generally, a creditor can garnish you paycheck up to 25%. A chapter 7 or chapter 13 bankruptcy will stop the garnishment.