How much is an accident injury claims involving an 18-wheeler? 19 Answers as of February 19, 2013

I have a lawsuit pending and I want to know what my case is worth. I feel that my attorney isn’t doing enough and don’t want to be cheated out.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Lapin Law Offices
Lapin Law Offices | Jeffrey Lapin
I cannot answer how much your case is worth without a lot more information. The fact that it involves an 18-wheeler does not necessarily make it worth more money than if you were hit by a small car. A person is entitled to be "compensated" for all injuries and damages they sustained in an accident. There are a number of factors that determine what a case is worth, including, but not limited to: the nature and extent of the injury; whether an injury is temporary or permanent; medical expenses; lost wages; and pain, suffering and inconvenience. If an injury is permanent, a person may be entitled to additional money for some or all of these items. Age also plays a factor if an injury is permanent. As you have an attorney I would suggest talking to him or her about the value of your case. He or she should be able to give you an estimate of what your case might be worth and why. I say an "estimate" as if your case goes to trial no one can predict with 100% certainty what a jury may gave you. The best an attorney can do is give you an estimate or a range of values that cases such as your's have settled for or what juries have awarded.
Answer Applies to: Nebraska
Replied: 2/19/2013
Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
Millions and billions. Now unless you are paralyzed, blinded, or more seriously hurt, you really have aodest case.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 1/30/2013
Law Offices of Sandeep G. Agarwal
Law Offices of Sandeep G. Agarwal | Sandeep G. Agarwal
Hard to say without knowing more facts and extent of injuries, as well as a variety of other factors.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/10/2013
Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A.
Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A. | Paul L. Whitfield
If you trust your lawyer sit down with him and discuss. If you don't trust him get another one.
Answer Applies to: North Carolina
Replied: 1/10/2013
Atkins & Fife, LLC | William J. Atkins
There is no way to fairly answer your question without knowing a great deal more about your situation. How did the accident occur? Was the truck clearly at fault? Was he cited? What were your injuries? Where did the incident occur? Where does the truck driver reside (county) or where is his company registered for service of process? Has your attorney thoroughly investigated the case? Do you have data from the truck's "black box?" have you gotten the driver's "log book?" Was he in compliance with Fed. Reg. related to the number of hours he can be on the road, the length of his breaks, etc.? If you have an attorney, you should be asking him/her these questions. It is very important that you develop a trusting relationship with your lawyer. Do not go shopping your case around to other lawyers while you are represented by a lawyer. Reputable lawyers should not discuss your case with you as long as they know you have a lawyer. If you are not happy with your lawyer, you should talk to him/her and explain your concerns. If you are still unhappy after that, you should consider terminating that lawyers' services and hiring a new lawyer.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 1/10/2013
    Graves Law Firm
    Graves Law Firm | Steve Graves
    Your case is no more or less valuable simply because an 18-wheeler was involved, although commercial vehicles generally carry greater liability limits than passenger cars. What really counts is the extent of your injuries and damages and the degree of fault in the other driver. But one thing you can count on is that if your lawyer took your case under a contingent fee agreement, he or she can't get paid unless he or she gets YOU paid. Your lawyer has every reason to get you as much money as possible, as soon as possible. and no reason to leave a dime on the table or settle for less than the case is worth. These cases take time, and I'd encourage you to (1) talk with your lawyer and (2) be patient. If you're in too big a? hurry to settle, the other side will smell it and offer less in settlement.
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 1/10/2013
    Steven Kalishman, P.A.
    Steven Kalishman, P.A. | Steven J Kalishman
    You have the right to ask for a second opinion, but you'll need to provide all of the details of the case for a proper evaluation.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 1/10/2013
    The Law Office of Harry E. Hudson, Jr.
    The Law Office of Harry E. Hudson, Jr. | Harry E. Hudson, Jr.
    One would need much more information to guess. if you do not trust your attorney, have a talk with him or hire a new one.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 1/10/2013
    The Law Firm of Stephen M. Reck, LLC
    The Law Firm of Stephen M. Reck, LLC | Scott D. Camassar
    There is no way to answer this question as posed. The value of each case depends on many factors, including the nature and extent of your injuries, how they affect you, whether they are permanent, your treatment to date and if you need future treatment, lost income, etc. Sit down with your atty to discuss your concerns. He or she is in the best position to know the strengths and weaknesses of your case.
    Answer Applies to: Connecticut
    Replied: 1/10/2013
    LAW OFFICE OF ROBERT T. DURBROW, JR. | Robert T. Durbrow, Jr.
    It is impossible to answer your question without a lot more details about your accident and injuries. You should try an make an appointment with your attorney to discuss your case. If your case is in the early stages of discovery, it may be several months before your all the details of your injury and damages can be evaluated. If you still feel your attorney is not doing enough, then you should contact the local bar association. You can find their listing in the yellow pages of your telephone directory.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 1/10/2013
    Adler Law Group, LLC
    Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
    Feel free to consult with us or other attorneys for a free meeting. You should make sure you are happy with your counsel or get another one.
    Answer Applies to: Connecticut
    Replied: 1/7/2013
    Koning & Jilek, P.C.
    Koning & Jilek, P.C. | Jonathan Neal Jilek
    It depends. You should contact my office.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 1/7/2013
    Kram & Wooster, P.S. | Richard H. Wooster
    It depends on how you were damaged and the strength of your evidence. You are entitled for compensation for your pain and suffering, permanent impairment, lost wages in the past and likely to be suffered in the future, past and future medical bills and a host of other damages you may have suffered. Other facts go into how much a case is worth such as, how does the Plaintiff come across? Does the Plaintiff appear to be a whiner and complainer or someone whom was seriously injured and has committed to seeking medical care to rehabilitate themselves? What were the injuries, are there fractures with x-rays and scars that can be shown to the jury or are they soft tissue injuries without any objective proof of the injury. The law is as much of an art as a science, so there is no formula that can be plugged with numbers to get a result. Two juries could hear the same facts and come up with completely different numbers.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 1/7/2013
    Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
    You do not provide sufficient information for any other lawyer to evaluate your claim. If you are not satisfied with your lawyer, youcan always find a different one. Or work things out with your present lawyer.
    Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
    Replied: 1/7/2013
    DEHNADI & CONLEY, LLP | Ted Conley
    Without an amount that was charged for medical costs and any lost wages, that is very hard to estimate. Numbers would help immensely. Also, are you permanently disabled and not capable of working as you had prior to the injury?
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 1/7/2013
    Greer Jackson Tisinger, LLC | John Jackson
    This is a difficult question. I would need more information to give you a proper answer.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 1/7/2013
    Meyer & Kiss, LLC
    Meyer & Kiss, LLC | Louis J. Meyer
    Need a lot more information. What are your injuries? What are your medical bills? What are your lost wages? How good is the liability?
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 1/7/2013
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 4 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney