How much is allowed for presents in California bankruptcy? 8 Answers as of July 04, 2013

I filed for chapter 13 two years ago, my brother and other family member want to help me out by giving me presents. What are the limits to what I can accept?

Dan Shay Law
Dan Shay Law | Daniel Shay
There is not really any limit. Just make sure it cannot be considered income. Do not take ongoing scheduled presents. Also, it is common for people to want to pay off their Chapter 13 early, but unless it is a 100% plan, I would not try to do that. Use the presents to cover the normal Chapter 13 monthly payment. Try not to exceed the exemption amount in your bank account either.
Law Office of Maureen O' Malley
Law Office of Maureen O' Malley | Maureen O'Malley
Don't know anything about CA law. If you're getting small gifts here and there it shouldn't be a problem. Check with your lawyer.
There is no limit to receiving gifts after bankruptcy.
If they are gifts, there is no limit or affect to your Chapter 13 case.
Your case is confirmed? If so I think gifts should not be a problem.
    Law Office of Harry L Styron
    Law Office of Harry L Styron | Harry L Styron
    There are no limits once you have filed, just so long as it is not income you can depend on within the duration of your plan, because the latter should be reported to the Chapter 13 trustee and the plan amended.
    Bankruptcy is standard across USA. IRS allows you to receive 13,000 per year tax free from eacher person as long as you pay 100 per cent to your creditors the bankruptcy court is not concerned how much you receive in gifts. However they are interested that you do not give gifts over 100.00.