How many years do I have to wait after being petitioned by a lawful permanent resident? 9 Answers as of January 31, 2011

I am just curious about my petition. My mother is a nurse and her status is a "lawful permanent resident" since January 2006. She filed an immigrant petition for me last June 2006. I am just wondering how many years should I wait? I am 27 years old right now and single. My family preferences I think fall under Family (2B) and I am from the Philippines. It is almost 5 years since June 2006. Thanks in advance.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
Unfortunately family cases from the Philippines are severely backlogged. FB-2b is working on June 1, 1999. If your Mom becomes a citizen you would normally move to FB-1 but you can elect not to because your current category is more favorable. If you have any plans to get married though, you will need your parent to first become a citizen otherwise your marriage will knock you out of line completely. See Visa Bulletin at this link - it changes monthly.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/31/2011
Pauly P.A.
Pauly P.A. | Clemens W. Pauly
As long as you remain single (and your mom a lawful permanent resident), your immigrant category is indeed F2B. According to the Visa Bulletin for February 2011 (see, only applications for nationals from the Philippines with a priority date before June 1, 1999, are being processed in February.

Between November 2010 and February 2011, your category has actually retrogressed by approx. 2 1/2 years and there is no telling how this will chage in the future.

If your mom has been a resident for 5 years then she may qualify to become a naturalized US citizen, however, if she were to become a US citizen, then your immigration petition would fall into F1 which currently has an even longer wait-time.

While you need to keep monitoring the monthly Visa Bulletin, you should also explore if you could qualify for temporary work visas to come to the US. If you have not done that already, please consult with an immigration lawyer to discuss possible options.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 1/25/2011
The Vega Law Firm
The Vega Law Firm | Linda Vega
Please look on the Visa Bulletin to look at your priority date.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 1/24/2011
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
Check for processing time of service center. You need to figure out what service center is processing your petition. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 1/24/2011
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
You are right. The wait is very long. The visa bulletin for the month of February 2011 indicates that Filipino 2B beneficiaries who have an approved petition filed on their behalf on or before 6/1/1999 now have a visa available.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/24/2011
    Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law
    Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law | Theresa E. Tilton
    You can look at this chart. Currently, the 2-B preference from the Philippines is processing approval dates before June 1999. (Almost eleven years.) That's the longest wait for any country.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 1/24/2011
    Nicastro Piscopo, APLC
    Nicastro Piscopo, APLC | Louis M. Piscopo
    According to the February 2011 Visa Bulletin their are currently processing 2B Category Cases (Adult unmarried Children of LPR) that were filed in 1999. Therefore, you would have to wait another 5 to 7 years before your June 2006 priority date becomes current.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 1/24/2011
    Javia & Moore
    Javia & Moore | Marisa-Andrea Moore
    You can adjust, assuming you have no other bars, when the priority date on the immigrant petition filed by your mother becomes current. Due to backlogs at USCIS, it is difficult to determine exactly how long it will take.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 1/24/2011
    Law Office of Michael E. Hendrickson
    Law Office of Michael E. Hendrickson | Michael E. Hendrickson
    Since you're from the Philippines and your mother is not a citizen, it could easily be another five years or longer.
    Answer Applies to: Virginia
    Replied: 1/24/2011
Click to View More Answers: