How many years can the back child support go for payment? 12 Answers as of February 18, 2014

If I just served papers for child support of a previously unknown child, age 7, and the paternity test comes back positive.

Law Office of Annette M. Cox, PLLC
Law Office of Annette M. Cox, PLLC | Annette M. Cox
The mother can argue for support going three years back, however you can argue reasons that you were not aware you had a child, etc to request a reduction or waiver of that amount.
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr.
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr. | John F. Geraghty, Jr.
for the entire life of the child until the age of 18
Only from the date the case was filed.
J. Barbour Rixey, P.C.
J. Barbour Rixey, P.C. | J. Barbour Rixey
Child support is only retroactive back to the date of the filing of the child support petition.
Petit & Dommershausen SC
Petit & Dommershausen SC | Tajara Dommershausen
Date of service.
    Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A.
    Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A. | Joanna Mitchell
    In Florida, it can retro act 2 years from the date the petition was filed.
    Depends , they can go back the entire 7 years, plus include cost of having the child if there where any out of pocket cost. Will they? Most likely not, I find that the people who get slammed in these cases are the ones with the big mouths , you know , I got screwed , you people don't know what you are doing, the judge is a bozo, this is not fair I didn't want this kid, she tricked me, I can go on hopefully you get the point, the courts only concern is that there is a child that needs financial support from BOTH parents, that's how child support works, both pay, but the parent without placement pays their share to the parent with, that's common sense, but you would not believe how many people out there say that they got screwed and have to pay 100 per week, Wow, that's 5,200 hundred a year, that's a deal in my eyes because if you could raise a child on 5,200 a year and do it well, you should write a book because you will be a billionaire overnight.
    There is no right to retroactive child support. The earliest the support order can start is the date of filing of the motion to establish support or, for a newly filed case, the date the Petition was served on the Respondent.
    Kunin &Carman | Ishi Kunin
    The law permits one to go back 4 years. You can certainly bring up defenses such as the mother knew you were the BF, knew where you were, and never told you. But if the state paid assistance, it is likely you will have to reimburse.
    Provda Law Firm
    Provda Law Firm | Bruce Provda
    Child support goes back only to the day that you filed the petition in court.
    Law Offices of Lauren H. Kane | Lauren H. Kane
    Only back to the date of filing.