How many tickets can you get for marijuana possession can you get before you are arrested in California? 4 Answers as of May 26, 2011

My son has two open marijuana possession cases. He will turn 17 tomorrow. Although I hope this doesn't happen again, how many times will they just write you a ticket? Also with each ticket how does the judge handle it? He got sentenced to one 8 hour Saturday class for the first ticket.

Possession of under one ounce of marijuana is an infraction carrying only a fine as of Jan. 1, 2011. If it is more than that or if committed in connection with other offenses it could be charged as a more serious crime.
Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan
Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan | Geoffrey M. Yaryan
Since he is a minor it would be handled by the juvenile court and it depends on what their policy is regarding marijuana arrests in your county.
He has already been arrested twice; each of those tickets is an arrest. Yes, that is how they show on his permanent record. He just wasnt booked into jail, and instead was allowed to be cited to court. The choice to arrest and book is up to the police. Prosecution is up to the DA. Penalties are up to the judge after trial, or by plea bargain with the DA. No attorney can predict the outcome, nor even give an intelligent opinion, without reviewing and knowing all the charges, evidence, reports, testimony, priors history, etc. However, effective plea-bargaining, using whatever legal defenses, facts and sympathies there may be, could possibly keep you out of jail, or at least dramatically reduce it, depending upon all the facts. If these are really infractions under the weight limit, then he only faces fines, unless the court charges either as a prior to enhance penalties. If serious about hiring counsel to help you in this, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me. Ill be happy to help use whatever defenses there may be.
He should do the class again. He is a slow learner.