How many points will be taken off my license in California for a DUI? 10 Answers as of July 12, 2011

How many points will be taken off my license in California for a DUI?

Two points.
The Law Offices of Christopher J. McCann
The Law Offices of Christopher J. McCann | Christopher J. McCann
A conviction for DUI in California under either Vehicle Code section 23152(a) or (b) will incur 2 points on your driving record.
The Law Office of Stacey Wolcott
The Law Office of Stacey Wolcott | Stacey Wolcott
In California a DUI will usually place 2 points on your license through the DMV. You should feel free to call my office for a free consultation where I would be happy to discuss the imapct this may have on your driver's license and the possibilities of other charges.
You get penalized two points for DUI. You are only allowed 4 points in a year, 6 in two years, 8 in 4 years, before losing your license. Your immediate concern should be: What can you do? Defend the charges. Go to court, enter a not guilty plea, arrange bail reduction or OR, set up and attend the court hearing[s] and trial date[s]. File evidence suppression or other motions as applicable. Raise all the available defenses with whatever admissible and credible witnesses, evidence and facts are available for legal arguments for motions, plea bargaining, or at trial. Go to trial if it cannot be resolved with motions or a plea bargain. There is no magic wand to wave and make it all disappear. If you do not know how to do these things, then hire an attorney that does, who will try to get a decent plea bargain for you. If serious about doing so, feel free to contact me. I will be happy to help you use whatever defenses you may have.

Keep in mind: When you are arrested for DUI, upon release from jail or booking, you were given documents that included a notice from DMV that you have only ten days to file a request with DMV for a hearing on an appeal of the automatic one-year suspension of your license. Contact DMV and do so, timely, then appear at your scheduled hearing and present your evidence and testimony. If you do not know how to do these things, then hire an attorney that does.
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
A DUI is a 2 point offense. And it is not taken off your license. It adds points to your driving record. You can receive up to 4 points in one year, 6 points in 2 years, or 8 points in 3 years without any DMV action. After that they notify you that you are suspended for a given amount of time. However, keep in mind that DUIs carry their own mandatory suspensions, 4 months through the administrative per se procedure and 6 months restriction after a conviction.

Our office is very experienced in handling these matters. For more information or to be represented, please call