How long would it take before I get my green card after I marry a US Permanent Resident? 7 Answers as of January 20, 2014

Hi, I am a Canadian citizen and I was wondering how long would it take me to get my green card if I marry a US permanent resident (green card holder)? Is it different than marrying a US citizen? Thanks.

Law Office of Adebola Asekun | Adebola O. Asekun
Since there are no limits on number of visas that may be available for spouses of US citizens, processing of applications of US citizen spouses is generally faster than those of spouses of green card holders, which is subject to a maximum number per year. Currently, visas are now available for spouses of LPRs that were filed in Sep. 2013.
Yes, it is different because it is subject to the priority date being current whereas marrying a US citizen is an immediate relative petition and not subject to priority dates. Currently, the priority date being processed is September 2013 so it is about 6 months behind. If your spouse petitioned for you now, it would be about 6 months (could be longer if processing backlogs) before you can apply for adjustment of status to permanent residence. If your husband is eligible for citizenship, that would expedite the process considerably.
Immigration Law Offices, LLP
Immigration Law Offices, LLP | Fakhrudeen Hussain
Right now the waiting time is about 6 months. However you have to be in status in the US when the time s come for you to obtain the Green Card.
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law | Christian Schmidt
It is currently hard to determine how long it takes to obtain a green card through the marriage of a permanent resident. Historically it has taken about two years. However, after green cards were readily available in August, September 2013, the priority has been frozen for September 2013. This should make for a shorter wait but since the date has not moved up in the past 4 months, it is difficult to determine how long the wait currently is. There would be no wait if you applied after the person naturalized.
You did not give many details, but stay in Canada and apply for a fiance visa. It usually takes about 4 or 5 months, then you come into the country, get married, and get your conditional green card. If you stay married for two years you can both apply to have the condition removed.
    Law Office of Bill Travis Klein
    Law Office of Bill Travis Klein | Bill T. Klein
    Yes it is different from marrying a U.S. Citizen so there is a waiting list before a visa is available. However, the wait in your situation is not that long. Talk with an Immigration Attorney to help you with this.
    It is different from marrying a U.S. citizen. When you marry a U.S. citizen an immigrant visa is immediately available upon approval of the petition whereas with a green card holder you will have to wait for a visa to become available. The process will take about 1.5 years based upon current visa availability. Please keep in mind that you will not be allowed to remain in the U.S. unlawfully during this time.