How long would a assault felony cost my friend time in jail? 6 Answers as of May 19, 2011

My friend’s apartment got robbed in Cali. He lives with 2 friends. Him and his other roommate (a) found out who it was and beat him up, the unaware roommate (b) got startled and came out from the room and stabbed the robber thinking that his roommates were in trouble. They all panicked and went separate ways. The robber died. A and B are in custody. My friend only beat the robber, not kill him. It seems like his phone is wired. He got out on bond in December for drug possession or a stolen weapon; I don’t remember well. He is 19 and in college. How long could he been in for?

When charged with a felony, you potentially face one or more years in prison if convicted.
What you describe is not an assault. It is a homicide. A human being was killed by at least one other human being. The potential here is a life sentence. I strongly suggest that all find competent legal assistance and say nothing further to any cop without the presence of their attorney.
Your friend needs to call me or talk to another attorney right away. The fact that someone is dead means his entire life could be on the line. It sounds like only a matter of time before A and B bring him into it. His phone could very well be tapped. He needs legal help.
The English Law Firm
The English Law Firm | Robert English
If I am reading this correctly, your friend was beating up an alleged robber and was present during a homicide. There is a wide range of possibilities to this case, but your friend could face murder charges. The assault was premeditated - it is possible your friend could face life in prison. This is a serious matter and your friend needs specific advice from an attorney that relates to the specific facts.
He could be looking at life in prison without parole. Have him call me and give me all the facts and we can be sure.