How long will my bankruptcy remain on my file? 25 Answers as of June 03, 2013

I filed for bankruptcy a few years ago and it is still showing up on my public records. It is also making it difficult to build my credit score again. Is there any way I could speed up the process of getting this removed from my record?

CONSUMER PROTECTION ASSISTANCE COALITION, INC. (DE).
CONSUMER PROTECTION ASSISTANCE COALITION, INC. (DE). | Gary Lee Lane
That would be 10 years.
Mercado & Hartung, PLLC | Christopher J. Mercado
It would take 7 to 10 years.
It is there for 10 years. Get a small secured card and use it wisely.
Breckenridge and Walton
Breckenridge and Walton | Alan D. Walton
10 years. You cannot do anything to speed it up. But most lenders ignore a three or four year old bankruptcy, so its effect is minimal a few years out.
Cartwright Law Firm
Cartwright Law Firm | Andrea Cartwight
A chapter 7 will remain on your credit profile for 10 years from the date of filing. While a chapter 13 will remain of your credit profile 6 years from the date of discharge. There is no way you can reduce this time period because it is determine by law. However, there are ways to rebuild your credit after bankruptcy. It is important that you maintain paying your bills on a timely basis. If you have a moretgage or car payment, make sure these accounts are never late. Getting a secured credit card with a credit union will also help rebuild your credit. Never exceed your credit limit and do not use more than 50% of the availble balance.
    Law Offices of Sheryl S. Graf
    Law Offices of Sheryl S. Graf | Sheryl S. Graf
    Although a bankruptcy filing remains on your credit record for up to ten years, many creditors disregard bankruptcy after five years. In a short time, you can probably rebuild your credit to the point that you won't be turned down for a major credit card or loan. Most major creditors look for steady employment and an ability to repay. If you can establish a history of making and paying for purchases on credit since bankruptcy, you are well on your way to rebuilding your credit rating. Ways to establish credit include getting a secured credit card (line of credit is based on the amount of money on deposit in your savings account), taking out a loan with a relative or friend as cosigner, and setting up a payment schedule for purchase of items with a local merchant (i.e., jewelry, furniture, or appliance store).
    Judith A. Runyon, Esq. Attorney at Law
    Judith A. Runyon, Esq. Attorney at Law | Judith A. Runyon
    10 years.
    As a public record, it stays on your credit report for ten years, just like a judgment or a tax lien which are also public records would as well.
    Loveless Law Firm, LLP
    Loveless Law Firm, LLP | Andrea Loveless
    Bankruptcy is a judgment and will be listed for a period of up to 10 years after the discharge. Thank you!
    No. As I am sure your attorney told you when you filed, Chapter 7s remain on your history for 10 years. Chapter 13s are there for either 7 or 10 years. That is set by law.
    Everett Walton, Attorney at Law
    Everett Walton, Attorney at Law | Everett Walton
    If you filed a Chapter 7 case, it can remain on your credit reports for 10 years.
    Answer Applies to: Hawaii
    Tucker Legal Clinic
    Tucker Legal Clinic | Samuel Tucker
    A bankruptcy filing may be reported by credit bureaus for 10 years. It will be a public record forever. We have had bankruptcy references removed from credit reports, but it is difficult to do.
    Law Office of J. Thomas Black, P.C.
    Law Office of J. Thomas Black, P.C. | J. Thomas Black
    The filing of a chapter 7 bankruptcy can show on public records for 10 years from the date it was filed. For chapter 13's, the credit bureaus report it for 7 years from the date filed. There is no legal way to have it removed, if it is accurate. You should not be having that much of a problem rebuilding your score, if your discharged debts are reporting properly, and if you are paying any remaining or new debts on time. Many of my clients can get into the mid-600's credit score after one year, and 700 or more after two years. You should obtain your free credit reports once per year at www.annualcreditreport.com and dispute any inaccurate information. For example, the debts discharged in bankruptcy should read as a zero balance, with a notation that they were discharged in bankruptcy.
    Law Office of Maureen O' Malley
    Law Office of Maureen O' Malley | Maureen O'Malley
    It remains of record for 10 years. If you kept a car or house and paid on time, get a statement from your lender(s) for each year you were in good standing and have that added to your credit report. You could get a secured card (one w/o up-front fees) and pay it off monthly. You could try the same with a gas card. But don't make a lot of applications because that will hurt, too.
    Symmes Law Group, PLLC
    Symmes Law Group, PLLC | Richard James Symmes
    When you file for chapter 7 bankruptcy, it remains on your credit report for a period of 10 years. With that said you can start to re-build your credit immediately after filing.
    Colorado Legal Solutions
    Colorado Legal Solutions | Stephen Harkess
    Bankruptcy will show up on your credit report for up to 10 years. Like everything else on your report (good and bad) the further in the past it is, the less effect it has on your credit score. Every day your bankruptcy filing is further behind you. Every day, your credit improves as a result.
    Dan Shay Law
    Dan Shay Law | Daniel Shay
    10 years on public record part of credit report.
    Law Office of Eric Ridley
    Law Office of Eric Ridley | Eric Ridley
    Your bankruptcy will remain on file for ten years. Although there are numerous companies who advertise that they can remove items from your credit report, most of them are not truly able to do so.