How long will LPR filing for my spouse take? 2 Answers as of March 25, 2011

I filed for my spouse in March 2011. The priority date I have got is 03/11/2011. I would like to know approximately how long would it take for my spouse to get green card? My service center, on USCIS website, and the processing time shown is 5 months. What exactly is processing time? What do I expect to happen after 5 months? Thank you for your time.

Processing times depend on whether you are a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident and whether your wife ins in or out of the U.S. U.S. citizen filing for overseas spouse is about 7-12 months provided you are ready for the next stage when first stage is approved. LPR filing for overseas spouse will be several years (working on April 1, 2007 cases currently fro all but Mexican nationals and that date is July 1, 2006) unless the LPR files for citizenship. The State Department publishes a Visa Bulletin monthly which you can check at their website - travel.state.gov.
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
About 5 months after filing, you should get an approval notice. Then you must wait for a visa to be available. The typical time frame is usually around 4 to 5 years depending on her country of origin. If you naturalize, she will not have to wait for a visa to become available, and will be ready for the next step (either Adjustment of status or consular processing, depending on her current location and / or admissibility issues).