How long will it take to process a spouse based petition? 4 Answers as of September 12, 2013

I am working on H1B visa, my 6 years of H1B is going to expire in Sept 2014. My fiancé is a US citizen. We want to marry in June, but is it enough time for the processing of the petition till September 2014? In which month of 2014 should I apply spouse based immigration petition, so that I can legally stay as well as work in US?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Rebecca White
Law Office of Rebecca White | Rebecca White
If you file an immigrant visa and adjustment of status application in June you should have an employment authorization document prior to the September 2014 end date of your H-1b status. The employment authorization document should be issued within 90 days of filing.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 9/12/2013
Richard S. Kolomejec, Attorney at Law
Richard S. Kolomejec, Attorney at Law | Richard S. Kolomejec
It takes just under 3 months to get a green card through a marriage to a US citizen. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/5/2013
Coane and Associates
Coane and Associates | Bruce Coane
In Houston, it is currently taking 2-4 months for the green card interview. Work permits take 45=90 days typically.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 9/4/2013
Law Office of Eric Fisher | Eric Fisher
If your US citizen spouse files a visa petition for you and it is approved along with your application for adjustment of status, any employment beyond the period authorized by your H1b visa can be excused. You should file the petition and application as soon as you are married, and do not travel outside the US without first obtaining advance parole.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 9/4/2013
Click to View More Answers: